Swimmers??

Options
michaleisepic.jpg

Marry me, Michael.

Does anyone know a good swim-workout? And how to get faster at it? I need to start training for an entry exam
and sprint-triathlon this fall!

Replies

• running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I hope you guys know I'm going to bump this throughout the day until all the Americans wake up too.

So you guys can look at that picture.

And maybe suggest a kick-*kitten* workout for me.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I'll pass on Michael. He's a butterface.

Do laps?
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    I'll pass on Michael.

That's good, cause I already called dibs.

Well, now I did, anyways.

Haha, well, doing laps sounds quite smart... I was hoping for something a little bit more specific though.
    Thanks anyways!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nice picture - thanks for posting that :)

Don't know where you are based but I use http://www.swimming.org/ - they have a coaching zone which suggests routines for you to do to get better. Lessons also help as a lot of swimming is technique first, strength after.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I use to race as a kid. We would just practice technique and do laps sprints etc.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    http://www.swimming.org/swimfit/

can build programmes to help build speed and/or endurance
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    sweet, I'll check it out. Thanks guys!
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    To offer advise, we would need to know where you are at right now. How far are you swimming? What is your 100 m sprint time? What is your long steady state place (like an 800 m time trial). Are you only doing freestyle or are you still swimming with other strokes.

I'm focusing on getting myself back to where I was pre baby but my time in crunched. Last night my workout was:
    300 m w/u
    200 m kick with fins alternating 25 easy/25 hard
    2x 4x100 on 2:15 (which means I started each 100 2:15 after I started the previous 100) with an extra minute rest between the 2 sets of 100
    100 m individual medly
    200 m cool down.

I am a good swimmer (when I'm regularly training) with good technique and come from a swimming back ground. for these reasons, I don't spend a lot of time working on form/doing drills. If you don't have a strong background in swimming, drills and working on form will make you faster than any sets like I have posted above.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    I'm not a swimmer, and I've never learned any techniques, so that's the problem. I think I will take a private lesson to do that.

And then keep that workout in mind.

Thanks!
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible swimmer. I also have a triathlon in 4 weeks.
    These helped me:
    http://twotri.com/2014/05/three-sprint-triathlon-swim-workouts/
  • gviens
    gviens Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You might also want to check out the Swimmers group here on MFP
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/122-swimmers
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Also since you have not learned techniques, I highly suggest taking some lessons or being coached.
    I have joined my local Masters Swim, they are a world wide organization. I have improved my skills and endurance tremendously by swimming with them twice a week.

You need to know the distances you will be competing at, first be able to swim that distance or more, then you can focus on improving your speed.

If you are doing any open water swims you want to practice those as well. It is totally different then swimming in a pool.
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm not a swimmer, and I've never learned any techniques, so that's the problem. I think I will take a private lesson to do that.

And then keep that workout in mind.

Thanks!

In that case, I would start with some lessons to get the proper technique and then move onto working on speed. Getting the proper technique will make you much faster alone.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I havent being swimming for awhile but I did train hard in it. I used 2 long steady days steady paes and 3 HIIT days usin first 500 for warm up then rotating every 500 in sprints of freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke and kick board both front and back to keep legs muscles even from quads to hamstrings pausing for 45 sec to 1 min between sets. swam for an average of 1.5 hrs Alternate breathing sides and stroke lengths between breaths as weel every 4 strokes or every 8 or whatever works . Stretch afterwards!