I got a question...

Options
According to BMR i burn 1800 kcal if I stay in bed,, lmao

so I was wondering, Iwork as a *kitten*. nurse at a home, and I run around like mad, according to my step counter i burn about 500-700 kcals a day, just by working, should I take that as excerise, or should I count that as normal and only right down when i do cardio and strengh???

Replies

• valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    lol...I count everything. All my running around chasing kids and cleaning house is definitely exercise :) So I would add it on here for sure. But that's just me :)
  • lauralouwho414
    Options
    I also work where I'm standing on my feet all day--sometimes for 9 hours where I'm running up and down stairs and never sitting. I count it on my long days just because I think it's out of the ordinary from days where I'm not scheduled. So I do count the calories burned there, but I don't let myself consume the calories that I've "burned". I will only do that if I've done something like strength or cardio. I hope that's not confusing!
  • RachelM1075
    Options
    For me personally, I do not count everyday activities (like opting to use the stairs instead of the elavator) or for you running around like crazy! I only count the actual excercise like swimming, yoga etc....
  • Jillis
    Jillis Posts: 13
    Options
    ahh okey thank,s i'm kinda new to this whole calorie thingy,

iwork shifts and long hours, so eating and training can be a pain from time to time,,

thanks again for answering me :)
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It depends, did you list yourself as a seditary person, Lightly active, or active? If you listed yourself as someone who gets no exercise ans sits at her job then count it:) If you listed yourself as someone who walks or is on your feet then only count additional exercise outside of your job. Count cleaning your house, and any cardio or strength work that you do:) Hope that helps!

Good luck!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    DON'T COUNT IT SEPARATELY!!!

When you set up your profile it asked you what type of life you lead (sedentary, active, very active, etc). The system uses that information to determine how many calories you burn a day and how many you need to eat to achieve your goals. If you answered those questions correctly, it should already be accounted for in your suggested daily goals.

You can change this or see yours under My Home/Settings/Update diet & Fitness profile
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I only log in my gym exercise...i may have done 10 sets of stairs on sunday, but i was cleaning lol...once i get a heart rate monitor i plan on logging sex though:blushing: under "dancing" of course lol
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I definitely don't count everyday stuff. When I work up a serious sweat, I count that. On your original setup, did you put that you were active or sedentary? If you put sedentary, then count it. If you put active, then don't count it.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Depends on what you set your profile for. I run my rearend off at work, but my profile is set to sedantary so I can claim those cals if i choose to. If your profile is set to your actuall activity level then no don't log it because its already accounted by mfp. I personally will count it (as leasurly, though my natural pace is fast) if I spend more than an hour walking while out shopping.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I only log in my gym exercise...i may have done 10 sets of stairs on sunday, but i was cleaning lol...once i get a heart rate monitor i plan on logging sex though:blushing: under "dancing" of course lol
    It is people like you who, every time I see dancing, I check the time spent and snicker a little.
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    It is people like you who, every time I see dancing, I check the time spent and snicker a little.
    i was just thinking next time i see "dancing" in her log i'm gonna be all 'hubba hubba'
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Partly it depends on the criteria you used in setting up your profile and calculating your BMR.

I usually put calories expended into three "buckets":

BMR --that's without any activity

Casual activity--that includes occupational activity, recreational activity, chores, etc

Exercise activity--basically, the calories expended during cardio exercise (I don't count strength because it's not really quantifiable and I burn plenty of cardio. If all you do on some days is strength, then you might want to put down 2-3 times your body weight (in kg) times the fraction of an hour you worked out).

Casual activity can be the most difficult to quantify because it is so variable. Things like tables on MFP, heart rate monitors, pedometers, etc, are pretty useless for this category. Most people significantly overestimate their casual activity--they think they are doing a lot more than they are.

So, basically, you need to come up with a plan that will work for you, and there will be some trial and error involved.

My opinion, FWIW: Start with the basic number of calories per day food intake you think you can live with. For most people, that is going to fall around 1500 calories per day. If you do a lot of exercise on a given day, then allow yourself 150-300 extra to refuel after the workout (that's assuming you burned at least 500 calories working out). Then just see what happens. Don't make this any more difficult than it needs to be.

The average person who is taking in 1500 calories a day (if the meals are well planned) and just starting out in a program does not have to worry about any supposed "starvation mode", even if you do incur a sizable calorie deficit. As you go on, you can make adjustments as necessary.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    DO NOT COUNT IT AS EXERCISE!!! You are not supposed to count it as exercise on here because when you signed up it asked you if you had a sedentary, light, active, etc. lifestyle. That is so THEY would incorporate that exercise in beforehand. You are just supposed to count extra exercise. Good luck!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    :0)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    According to BMR i burn 1800 kcal if I stay in bed,, lmao

so I was wondering, Iwork as a *kitten*. nurse at a home, and I run around like mad, according to my step counter i burn about 500-700 kcals a day, just by working, should I take that as excerise, or should I count that as normal and only right down when i do cardio and strengh???

Don't count everything, just change your profile from sedentary to active and it will account for it all.
  • Jillis
    Jillis Posts: 13
    Options
    ahh okey, think i missed that part, LOL

thanks again for your answers and time!!!

lots of love

Jill