Slight logging annoyance, hoping I am missing something

Options
When you search for a food there is no way of knowing the calories of the item until you have actually 'logged' it.

For one example when eating out (and this is a very crude example) say you wanted fast food but the best option and there are choices between burger or nuggets - you would have to log them both to see what the calories are and delete the one you don't want.

it would be nice if you could search for items and it tells you what the calories are for that portion before you actually commit to having a serving or half a serving etc.

just a thought and I am kinda hoping that there is a way of doing it but I don't know how to do it yet!

Replies

• Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You are :)

If you click on the Food tab, then it has another one underneath called "database".

Click into there and bish bash bosh - you're off.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You should see a link that says nutrition facts (or something similar). Click that, and you can check the calorie info before logging.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can check before logging. Right above the "How Much?" is a link that says Nutritional Info. That shows you the nutritional Info of the thing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You can click on the nutrional data actually

4c440aff-a0e9-440c-9d80-0b15a64d61c2_zps4dac8e70.png
    See the blue text and it takes you here

MFPnutritionfacts_zps6f6dca50.png
  • Pauline252mfp
    Pauline252mfp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Especially because you can see the calories in the phone app choices, the website searches should be easy to find the caloric content.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a pain, I wish it would just show up as soon as you click an item but if, when you search the food and click on an item in the list and the serving chooser appears on the right, click the 'nutritional info' link just about the serving size and a pop up will show you the NI.

ETA: got sidetracked half way through this post and totally got beat to the answer :D
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I hate that, too!

If you search the food database instead of clicking "add food," you can look for something and check all its nutritional info, but from there you can't directly add it into your diary (unless I'M missing something).
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    The little "nutritional info" in blue! It was right in front of me! Thank you, Sexzystef! :love:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    @sexzysteff THANK you - I have been logging for almost two years now and didn't know that LOL
  • mkraizel
    mkraizel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you click the blue "nutrition info" under the red title of the food it shows the nutrition facts.
  • 95Tashey95
    95Tashey95 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!! Thank you all

Big sloppy wet kisses to all who have replied!!!

xxx
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    @sexzysteff THANK you - I have been logging for almost two years now and didn't know that LOL

Not to toot my own horn but there is a lot you can do with the entries here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately&page=3#posts-19337078
    This post pretty much lays it out for you....
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I did not know this either. Sometimes the forums are really helpful. Thanks everyone. And OP, great question.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    OMGosh! I've been on here for two years and didn't know that. Thanks for sharing!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately&page=3#posts-19337078

Toot away, that thread ought to be required reading!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Especially because you can see the calories in the phone app choices, the website searches should be easy to find the caloric content.

Exactly. You search the app, and you get the full page of results with their calorie content written right next to each of them! Just no asterisks or confirmations available on the app. I'll be sure to click the nutritional info for when I'd like to use the website, though!
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options

I love this thread you made, I OFTEN link people back to it. Just because I learned SO MUCH from it!

Definitely toot away!