Runners "stitch"?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm wondering if someone has an answer for me. I tend to get a stitch in my side when I'm running. It's always on my right side, and usually occurs near the middle to end of my run. Is there something I'm not doing properly before I begin?

Thanks in advance!

L.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    make sure you are hydrated and are breathing deep enough
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    It's due to a lack of oxygen from breathing hard. Make sure to take deep even breaths for a few minutes and it will go away. I used to get them a lot when I first started running a month ago, and now I don't get them as much. Good luck!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    drinking water before a run does it to me...i breathe through them....it hurts but it will pass.

When they start just keep running and try deep breaths where they are so painful you dont want to breathe, then exhale, after a few times doing this they subside for me ( i also try running harder)...dont walk or stop running though...they will just come back when you get back up to that pace again...
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My daughter said they used to have to run a ton for HS volleyball and you should raise your arm and stretch your side. I've also read that on the internet somewhere. I've tried it and sometimes it works but I still have trouble. Wonder if mine is from what I've eaten before I try to run (I usually walk about 4mph and then add a jog or 2 in with it).
  • hopeandj
    hopeandj Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I get it when I don't breathe properly during running. Try "belly breathing". Basically it's really deep breaths, but you are using your abdomen instead of your chest.

Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4475366_deep-belly-breathe.html
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that you got it from exhaling when you landed on your right foot, because the double impact of gravity from the landing and the actual exhale hurts your liver. I am not sure if the part about the liver is true, but I started thinking about exhaling when I was on my left foot, and I stopped getting stitches. I used to get them after a minute, but now if I start to get it, I just concentrate on exhaling on the left foot, no problem :)
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I stitch is caused by a build up of lactic acid caused by anaerobic respiration in the muscles. To break down sugars into energy the body needs oxygen, when oxygen isnt available a different process is used called anaerobic respiration.

You still get energy (much less than you would with oxygen) and a by product is lactic acid which is as the name says, an acid. Where ever this acid accumulates you will get a stitch as cells really do not like acidic conditions.

The best thing to do is breathe deeply to get the oxygen back to the muscles so they can function properly and produce the right energy.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much!

L.
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i get these quite a bit running and riding :s my gym instructor says to stretch arms up and forcibly exhale to get the CO2 out, however ive found the best way to get rid of them is to burp!! :embarassed: just have to do it subtley!!
    will try the exhaling on the left foot trick when running though as mines always on the right too
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    oh i heard its from breathing in through the mouth like your not controlling your breathing and somehow it causes a stitch in the side this happened to me once while i was at a marine training thing (my friend forced me to go) yah i didnt realize they were gonna make us run 5 and a half miles my friend in the army only does two haha but any ways the guy said put a pebble or something like that in your mouth and it keeps your mouth wet also you cant inhale so much because you might inhale the pebble and its awkward.. well any ways i think it worked for me or it might have been a mind over matter thing idk :)