What device do you use to monitor and why should I?

Options
Hi Pals,
I want "credit" for my workouts because I will log more accurately and push a little harder just to get the display numbers on a heart rate monitor up. Mine died a couple years ago and I'm in the market for new technology (and hopefully the success I was having before) . What do you use and why should I get yours?
I'm mostly interested in being able to estimate calories burned per workout. I do all kinds of things including: Pilates, Blast900, TRX, swim, bootcamp, yoga, cardio dance classes. As you can see I wouldn't benefit from GPS right now since most of my exercise is in classes and I only occasionally exercise outside.
I try to park really far away from my destinations and it would be nice to get credit for all those little steps too.
What do you think?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I do all kinds of things including: Pilates, Blast900, TRX, swim, bootcamp, yoga, cardio dance classes.

I wouldn't bother. An HRM might help with the swimming, although from experience once you're pushing out some speed it never stays in place. Other than that, nothing is going to consistently estimate your expenditure from those.
  • GoodLittleEater
    GoodLittleEater Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am not sure what you mean by it never staying in place.

Anyone who does utilize one out there??
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I find the heart rate pod itself always slips down when I kick off the wall.

I use my HRM for running, and cycling, but that's more as a training aid than for calorie consumption. The approximations mean that it's no better than anything else for calorie approximation.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar ft60 with the T31 strap (for swimming) and flowlink. Supposedly this combination work for tracking swimming; although, I haven't tried it yet. I love it so far. I'll report back once I swim with it :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

I use my HRM for running, and cycling, but that's more as a training aid than for calorie consumption. The approximations mean that it's no better than anything else for calorie approximation.

I agree. I only use a HRM for running & cycling as well. I use it strictly for training.

I much rather use a formula to calculate calories burned. Too many variants with weather changes to give true calorie burns from a HRM. A heart beating faster doesn't mean more calories burned.
  • GoodLittleEater
    Options
    I just got my Polar ft60 with the T31 strap (for swimming) and flowlink. Supposedly this combination work for tracking swimming; although, I haven't tried it yet. I love it so far. I'll report back once I swim with it :)

Awesome, please do!!
  • GoodLittleEater
    Options

I agree. I only use a HRM for running & cycling as well. I use it strictly for training.

I much rather use a formula to calculate calories burned. Too many variants with weather changes to give true calorie burns from a HRM. A heart beating faster doesn't mean more calories burned.

Hmm so this formula calculation is a new concept to me. Tell me more?
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, which is the cheapy, basic model. I love it to death, and actually just replaced the battery in it today since it finally died. I can't swim, but it *is* waterproof... and I'm not sure why it would slide or shift or whatever if the strap is tight enough.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4 for Crossfit, cycling, running, ect. I always thought it has been pretty accurate with monitoring my heart rate and calories. I find the strap comfortable. I have not used it in the water though.

The calorie formula is also new to me. Do you use your average heart rate in the calculation?
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am currently using a Polar Loop (activity monitor) and a Polar H7 HRM chest strap that pairs with the loop. I am impressed with the details it supplies me about my workout. My heart rate, cals burned, % of fat, time spent in certain zones, etc.
  • kedlyo
    kedlyo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I never work out without my Polar FT40. I'm a numbers girl, and it totally motivates me. :)
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

So on this website:

http://fitnowtraining.com/2012/01/formula-for-calories-burned/

It has formula for calories burned for men and women. You do use your average heart rate so you would need a heart rate monitor anyways or to check your heart rate a few times throughout your workout and take the average. But it seems like an interesting concept.

I just did a quick comparison and it turns out that my heart rate monitor is off by about 5 calories for today's bike ride. I will continue to use this formula to compare my calories burned though. Nice way to make sure everything is in check :smile:
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I just gave this answer in another similar thread:
    Heart rate monitor strap with sports watch, that allows you to test your personal fitness and your VO2max gives you probably the most accurate numbers. I have got the Polar RCX5 with heart rate monitor and pretty much trust the results. I have tested this over some time by eating all of my exercise calories back and I did not gain weight, in fact I lost ever so slightly.

I use it for elliptical, biking, inline skating, badminton, running, fast walking, weights and soon swimming. For swimming you need to make sure you wear a swim top so that it stays in place.
    Stef.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

HRMs, web based applications like MFP, pedometers like FitBit, Phone apps all use some form of algorithm to estimate a calorie expenditure based on whatever metrics they themselves track.

MFP uses activity and duration, an app will use activity, distance and duration, an HRM will use HR and time, and a pedometer will use number of steps. All of these are subject to some form of error, based on how close the measured metrics are to calorie expenditure, how accurate the reading is and how stable the measured metric is in comparison with the algorithm.

That means that, for example, MFP is quite crude, whereas an HRM will accurately measure heart rate, but if it doesn't know what you're doing then the accuracy can be suspect. For me I'd treat it as reasonably accurate for a two hour run, but not for a 25 minute intervals session. The algorithm assumes that HR stays reasonably stable or has smooth transitions.

A pedometer is going to lose accuracy as you speed up. They're all prone to some kind of error. So it's a question of understanding the type of training and what that error means.

In the case of the type of training that you're talking about an HRM will overestimate the calorie expenditure, a pedometer will be unpredictably inaccurate, Apps won't be picking up a GPS signal so are missing half the information they'd need. That means that you might as well save your money and just use the MFP approximation.

What I meant by saying that I use mine to inform my training, I have a Polar FT60, was that by understanding how my HR is responding to training I can tune my training. If I'm doing a long run I'll keep my HR between 150 and 160, if it goes beyond that for any sustained period I'm unlikely to be able to run for more than a couple of hours. If I'm doing an interval session then I'll aim to get to 190-1195 in the high intensity periods, and down to 150 in the rest periods. That way I know they're going to deliver the effect on VO2Max that I'm after.

It's a question of using the tool for what it's designed for.

If, as above, you just want some extra motivation and the numbers on your wrist will help that, then go for it. You just need to realise that it's not going to be meaningful if you use it for something else, given the type of training that you do.
  • GoodLittleEater
    Options
    I just gave this answer in another similar thread:
    Heart rate monitor strap with sports watch, that allows you to test your personal fitness and your VO2max gives you probably the most accurate numbers. I have got the Polar RCX5 with heart rate monitor and pretty much trust the results. I have tested this over some time by eating all of my exercise calories back and I did not gain weight, in fact I lost ever so slightly.

I use it for elliptical, biking, inline skating, badminton, running, fast walking, weights and soon swimming. For swimming you need to make sure you wear a swim top so that it stays in place.
    Stef.

So no skinny dipping haha, got it.
  • GoodLittleEater
    Options
    "That means that, for example, MFP is quite crude, whereas an HRM will accurately measure heart rate, but if it doesn't know what you're doing then the accuracy can be suspect. For me I'd treat it as reasonably accurate for a two hour run, but not for a 25 minute intervals session. The algorithm assumes that HR stays reasonably stable or has smooth transitions. '

Okay I think you answered my question here. I do a lot of interval training but I guess I'd rather have something estimating for me than not :/ Am I alone here?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I guess I'd rather have something estimating for me than not :/ Am I alone here?

Lots of people love having a number that they can record. As long as you recognise that it's inaccurate then there is no reason not to. If you're using the same device then at least it should be consistently inaccurate for the activity, noting that for the range of activities that you're on about that inaccuracy could be up or down.

As it's only one of a range of inputs to your planning, all of which are estimations anyway, it's unlikely to be actively harmful.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 for my cardio work (running/combat/spin). It's a useful motivation tool for me. MFP estimates calories burned at around 25% more than the HRM, on average. As some others have suggested: I don't use it as a definitive figure, but as a guide.

I don't swim, so have no idea on whether it could be used for that.