Calorie Counting

Options
OK, so I ordered (or rather my husband did instead of just going out and buying one) a food scale that took FOREVER to get here! Now that it is here, I weigh everything. I am wondering, I usually eat eggs in the morning. Scrambled without any cooking oils or added anything. Prior to my scale arriving, I would log them as eggs-scrambled and used the "large" portion as I could not possibly tell how much they weighed. That usually came out to over 300 cals. Now weighing them and using the exact weight, the calories are typically less. I do not like worrying that I am underestimating my calories for the day. My question: how accurate is the calories counted when using weight? Obviously it isn't dead on. Should I over estimate?

Replies

• SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    It honestly depends on the user entry that created that food.

Check this link to get to the correct entries on the data base. (always go for the ones that have confirmations)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I dont think you should over estimate, just find the correct food entry and log away :smile:
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on the user entry that created that food.

Check this link to get to the correct entries on the data base. (always go for the ones that have confirmations)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I dont think you should over estimate, just find the correct food entry and log away :smile:

This particular one is the entry for eggs scrambled and was not submitted by another user. If I log the exact weight, that should be fairly accurate right?
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Your weight= more accurate than the database item.

Maybe the "eggs scrambled" included milk or something that you personally don't add to your eggs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It is possible that the entry does have milk or even cream in it...

when I scramble eggs I log 1 raw egg 52grams (as I do weigh it) since I don't add anything either. 70 calories.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It is possible that the entry does have milk or even cream in it...

when I scramble eggs I log 1 raw egg 52grams (as I do weigh it) since I don't add anything either. 70 calories.

I didn't even think about it possibly meaning that milk is added. I've never liked them like that. Maybe I will use the raw egg selection to log them. Thanks!