salad dressing?

Options
2»

Replies

• whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    balsamic vinegar with basil paste, garlic powder and lime juice... I take it with me in a small bottle everywhere !
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's fat free balsamic vinaigrette. 30 grams / 2 TBSP for 25 calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Another fan of Walden Farms calorie free dressings. The Bleu cheese also makes a great (if somewhat runny) veggie dip too. When I have some extra calories to spend, I go with Newman's Own Lite cranberry walnut.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Marie's has a new yogurt-based Caesar dressing that is delicious!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I usually make a vinegrette at home. I never eat bottled dressing but every once in awhile I make the Hidden Vally Ranch from a box. I need to learn to make a lower fat homemade ranch and maybe a lower fat blue cheese,too. Recently I made two new dressings. I used a Skinny Taste recipe for caesar dressing that was fantastic! Best Caesar I've ever made! Don't skip the anchovies, you won't taste them. You can use anchovy paste, which is easier.
    I also make salsa dressing -one is a vinagrette with salsa, red wine vinegar, lime juice and olive oil. Another is to just take the salsa and mound on top of my salad and add a scoop of fat free Greek yogurt. This is great with a homemade taco salad. ( I just do taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, onions and a little cheese.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I use the Renees yogurt dressing. Cucumber Dill is by far my favourite!
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I always make my own vinigarettes or ranch. Full fat dressings go a long way, IME. For those of you who like hidden valley mix, you might try a homemade mix. Cheaper and less garbage. I have a mix of dried herbs and spices in a jar on my oil/vinigar shelf. When I want some ranch I mix a little bit of that with some mayo and buttermilk and voila! If you don't always have buttermilk in your fridge like I do, you can buy buttermilk powder for the mix.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I like the Newman's Own dressings like Lite Honey Mustard and Lite Sesame Ginger. Brianna's dressing is really good, too.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Alternatives to regular dressing:

--Taboule

--Salsa and light sour cream (thinned with some skim milk) for a Mexican salad

--LIght Asian sesame dressing thinned with rice vinegar
  • B32Roden
    B32Roden Posts: 11
    Options
    Most store bought / packaged dressings will contain preservatives, hidden sugars and sodium but they are great for flavor. Often the low-fat varieties contain chemicals.

I believe in making my own dressings, similar to how you would make a marinade.

You can use different oils, vinegars, herbs, spices and condiments to make some really yummy combinations and switch it up every time so you never get bored. If you make a bigger batch, they'll keep in the fridge for a while too.

Another idea is to use a ripe avocado that you can mush up using a fork and then mix your salad in it to coat.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    My favorite dressing is ranch, and I've found only one substitute that is as satisfying for me, I mix roughly 2 tbsp of nonfat greek yogurt with a tbsp of hummus and thin it with a little salsa or milk if dressed for a salad. I just do this right in the bowl before adding my salad ingredients. The hummus (when mixed) replicates the body that Ranch dressing has, and is as filling, and the yogurt replicates the creaminess. It doesn't have that ranch flavor or anything, but comes closer to Ranch for me than substitutes that do have a ranch flavor.

Nothing too complicated, it's simple and works for me, a former ranch dressing addict.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I make all my dressings from scratch, but I never use a recipe. Salad dressings are so simple. Just add some type of vinegar or citrus juice or both (something acidic) and some good quality extra virgin olive oil, then add whatever spices you are in the mood for.

I use the salt free spice mixes (e.g. Mrs Dash) quite a bit and often add hot sauce. Sometimes instead of vinegar, I'll use juice from hot pickled vegetables.

It's kind of a problem when I take salads to parties or picnics though, because inevitably someone asks for the recipe and I never have one.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Ranch