What's your motivation and what's your kryptonite?

I've had a hard time finding the motivation to lose weight after having 2 kids. My last pregnancy involved high blood pressure and gestational diabetes. The blood pressure stayed up after the baby was born, and now I'm terrified of Type 2 diabetes.

My motivation to finally get rid of this weight is getting my blood pressure down (116/83 this morning!!) and avoid the 50% chance I now have of developing Type 2 diabetes.

Also, I'm going to Hawaii next May, and I'd really like to be comfortable in a swimsuit!

My dieting kryptonite: Cheese fries. Man I love them.

What is motivating you all and what is your diet downfall?

Replies

• mjgrin
    mjgrin Posts: 883 Member
    Hmm. My motivation? Probably losing enough weight so that if people insult me for speaking up for myself, they'll have to think of something other to say besides "beluga" or "obese cow". Also I am afraid of getting diabetes or having a stroke or heart attack

Kryptonite? Soda. I'm addicted to the stuff.
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Hmm. My motivation? Probably losing enough weight so that if people insult me for speaking up for myself, they'll have to think of something other to say besides "beluga" or "obese cow". Also I am afraid of getting diabetes or having a stroke or heart attack

Kryptonite? Soda. I'm addicted to the stuff.

Geez that is soooo rude! I sometimes think that part of the weight gain is due to our inability to speak up for ourselves. Idiots like that don't help at all. Good for you speaking up and standing your ground. It's so important to speak and live your truth. Otherwise we feed the emptiness we fell with...food.

My motivation is that lightness of being that comes with it (because I've done this before), the extra energy, few medical issues and great sexy clothes!

Kryptonite..... wine, beer, and dining out where portions are ridiculous, choices unhealthy and I don't have to clean up!
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Excellent post!

My motivation: I'm doing a day hike up Mt. Whitney in August (something I've wanted to do for about 4 years now) so that requires me to be in shape and healthy. Also, my kids think I'm a superhero when I "have muscles and less belly" so that always brings a grin to my face. And, of course, looking and feeling healthy so I can spend a long, wonderful life with my wife :)

Kryptonite? Hands down: Potato chips. ARGH!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    My motivation is that I am extremely competitive. I'm challenging myself to get down to my goal weight. I'm competing against the person I see in the mirror.

My kryptonite is bottomless meals. All you can eat meals. High class bottomless brunches and tapas and... yeah. Food-centric all-you-can-eat-and-drink events in DC are very difficult.
  • kvogelp
    kvogelp Posts: 1
    My motivation- afraid of type 2 diabetes; my kryptonight- chocolate in all shapes and sizes.
  • My motivation: shopping at regular clothing stores again, and actually being able to find things in my size.

My kryptonite: Self-doubt. I totally sabotage myself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PumpkinTwerker/view/that-little-voice-663152
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    My motivation is being smaller than I have been since I was 14-15 years old and feeling "average" for the first time since I was a kid, really...like when I go to the movie theater and can comfortably cross my legs and have space on both sides of the seat (instead of being tightly wedged in to the point that it is painful after awhile).

My kryptonite is candy at holidays...for some reason, I can easily walk right past shelves full of Twix and Snickers the rest of the year but when there's fun size Halloween candy, Cadbury eggs, or my mom's PB fudge at Christmas...I have a bad time!
  • mdt07
    mdt07 Posts: 50 Member
    My motivation? I no longer want to be consider Fit and Fat. And to have OBESE removed from my medical chart without having weight loss surgery. Which is what my doctor suggested. I refuse to have the surgery because I do not have other health issues (no high blood pressure, no diabetes, no bad knees or back) and there are too many complications that go along with the surgery.

My kryptonite - chips the black pepper and sea salt potato chip variety is my favorite!!!! But I will take Cheetos, Doritos and any of the other os. I'm on day one of going cold turkey.

Wish me luck
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    My motivation - divorce and wanting to feel sexy again.

My kryptonite - wine and desserts, esp chocolate.
  • freesiasun5
    freesiasun5 Posts: 3,122 Member

My kryptonite is candy at holidays...for some reason, I can easily walk right past shelves full of Twix and Snickers the rest of the year but when there's fun size Halloween candy, Cadbury eggs, or my mom's PB fudge at Christmas...I have a bad time!

Ha! I am the same way. In fact, I still have one lone Cadbury crème egg stashed in a drawer for a moment of weakness.