Can't bring myself to run...

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
I want to run so bad, but at the same time all I can think of the second I look at the front door is all the pain running meant to me in the past. The wheezing, the burning lungs the led to pneumonia, the inability to walk for 2-3 days. Being the last one done running a mile in gym class. Not even being able to make it a half mile jogging. So many negative things.

Running has always meant me feeling terrible, both physically and about myself... I need to figure out how to associate it with being happy in my head. Its silly but I'm almost scared to run.

What suggestions can you all give me? I am so self conscious about it... I tried doing the interval training thing and I ended up scurrying back into my apartment like a scared bunny.

I NEED to get over this but its like fight or flight kicks in, and flight wins out :ohwell:

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    I want to run so bad, but at the same time all I can think of the second I look at the front door is all the pain running meant to me in the past. The wheezing, the burning lungs the led to pneumonia, the inability to walk for 2-3 days. Being the last one done running a mile in gym class. Not even being able to make it a half mile jogging. So many negative things.

Running has always meant me feeling terrible, both physically and about myself... I need to figure out how to associate it with being happy in my head. Its silly but I'm almost scared to run.

What suggestions can you all give me? I am so self conscious about it... I tried doing the interval training thing and I ended up scurrying back into my apartment like a scared bunny.

I NEED to get over this but its like fight or flight kicks in, and flight wins out :ohwell:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I can feel your pain. I still don't run, though I know I have the lung capacity now. I never ran in HS - I would just refuse.

I would try jogging in place in the house until you know you can do it for 10 minutes. Being able to do it, will give you confidence.

:flowerforyou:
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Posts: 71
    Options
    Hey I know exactly how you feel, although I have different reasons for not wanting to run. I have a very big chest and a flabby belly to match :grumble: . So it makes it really difficult for me to even jog, I have no way of holding it all down so I can even attempt to jog or run. So as soon as you get some advice I may have to take some from you.

So hang in there, :flowerforyou: there is always help right around the corner.

:happy:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I would try jogging in place in the house until you know you can do it for 10 minutes. Being able to do it, will give you confidence.
    :flowerforyou:

I think this is a great idea. Jog in place or even around a room and see how long you can go for.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I was usually last in gym class running the mile, I was self-conscious about everything. One time in 7th grade a boy that I had a crush on told me that I ran like a cantaloupe. I was so upset. I was slow and apparently I looked like an idiot when I ran. Its just one of those things that I had to build up to . I started out by walking/jogging at night when no one could see me. Eventually I just had to get over my inhibitions and do it. I'm glad I did.
    Your body adjusts to running so quickly that it won't take you long before you realize that you're improving and that will keep you going and motivated.
    Don't do too much at once, but don't stop either.

Good luck, and happy running!!!
  • jfiscer
    jfiscer Posts: 24
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. I was never active growing up so when it came time to run the
    mile in gym i was one of the last ones to finish.
    Last year I decided I was going to run no matter. Every night for a week I would go to
    the park and run around it.

At first I could only jog for 30-40 seconds before I couldn't breathe. So I would walk
    for a minute or two, then I would jog again until I couldn't breathe. I did this for
    a couple of days.
    Then on the third day I found out I was able to jog almost a mile without stopping.
    I was so excited I decided to try sprinting. Thats when I hurt my legs.
    For almost a month afterwards, I couldn't even walk fast without my legs cramping up.
    It felt like they were on fire all the time.

Now I'm easing back into it. I have been walking two miles at a brisk pace everyday.
    My legs are sore but they feel a hundreds times better than before.
    Next week I'm going to start running again.

I found an article over at www.runnersworld.com that I'm going to follow, maybe it will
    help you out, too!

Here's the link: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/beginner/0,7146,s6-238-277-278-0,00.html
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I'll echo other's & suggest a running trampoline that you can do at home & see how you like it. :smile:

Also, know running is not for everyone, not a big deal if you don't want to do it. Do you like biking? Elliptical machines, rowing, swimming, boxing and even just walking can be good cardio exercises. Find something you can really get into & go with it! :flowerforyou:
  • healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    I got a gym membership now, but when I used to run, I would do it around the lake in my sub. Its really soothing and pretty, and there are trees all around the lake and ducks that swim in the water. It would actually encourage me to go running because of how beautiful it was. I don't know if there is a lake by your house, but if theres one close, you could maybe try that. Or find another part of where you live that is soothing and special.

good luck!
  • yenn
    yenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    get all suited up and make the running part optional. harness that contrarian side that says "i don't want to run !!" when you set out TO run. Walk a little faster, trot maybe, then walk again and see if you don't just feel like jogging a little even though you told yourself you weren't running!! I had to run, then walk, then run, then walk a little before I could even trot at a slow pace for any length of time. You can totally do it !! Remember, most of us walk around on two legs ... running is just a natural extension of that. It's not like swimming or riding a bike which ... for bi-peds like us ... has a tougher learning curve !! And when you start hating it ... just skip. It's impossible not to smile just a little when you're skipping :)
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Just keep going! You can do it! I run where no one can see me :blushing: I'm sure I look like a goof.

I've only been running for a week and I'm amazed at how much progress I've made. Your body really does adapt quickly. Pretty soon I'm hoping I don't look so much like a dork :wink:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I am the same way about running, my shins start to hurt, I am gasping for air, and all the while my marathon running brother just keeps telling me, you just have to build up to it and you'll be fine. Um no.

I am envious of runners, they make it look like so much fun, my brother makes mile number 10 look like he just started out and is full of energy. But running CAN be very jarring on your body and I just think some people were not born to run. I started walking a few weeks ago. And let me tell you, I HATE most excercise.....even if I start out enjoying it, I end up hating it because it is so routine and I get bored. But I am going on week four of my walking and I really enjoy it and look forward to it.

It's also uplifting when you notice progress. My shins give me problems even during a brisk paced walk as well, but lately they have been feeling much better. I can also go further than when I first started and I am not as tired. Last night we went to a baseball game and had to walk quite a ways from the parking lot. In the past I would have been struggling to keep up with my boyfriend (he is quite a bit taller) and probably would have been out of breathe as I was trying to talk and walk. But I kept up with him just fine and could carry on a normal conversation without sounding like I was a heavy breather.

So start with what you can do. Just get out there and walk, or like others suggested and bike or use an elliptical, maybe rollerblading? Once you just get out there and get used to doing something you'll gain more confidence. When I first started walking I was self conscious of walking down busy roads and such, but now I can cross even huge intersections and I am oblivious of who may be looking. So maybe if you get comfortable with walking, after a while you can try jogging at a slow pace and build up from there. But if it turns out you cannot, don't be too hard on yourself, I just don't think everyone was born to be a runner.
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    www.johnbingham.com

Check this guy's web site out. I read his book called The Courage to Start and it got me over my "fear".

Good luck, I really like running and think it's a great, cheap, flexible way to burn calories and fat.

:smile:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about running, just start walking fast. Who says you have to run to get exercise?
  • bodibykelli
    bodibykelli Posts: 135
    Options
    Hey!!! Here here on the running trampoline! Besides the fact that it low impact on your knees, it's fun as hell!!! You can also use hand weights for an added umph and down the road, you can strap on ankle weights~~~ all in the privacy of your own space (so you could do it naked....although that might hurt :blushing: )
  • msarro
    Options
    I've never heard of a running trampoline... how much do they cost? And do they.. err... support bigger people? :)
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I agree with jogging in place.
    You should also start with a brisk walk... speed up until your jogging.
    If you get wheezy, slow down a bit then speed it up again.
    I have asthma so it's not easy for me to jog the entire time.
    YOU WILL get there.... push at it!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options

• Healthier_Me
    Options

• Healthier_Me
    Options

• Healthier_Me
    Options