2lb gain on 30 day shred

Options
Hi all,

I am currently doing the 30ds, on day three of stage two. This morning was my weight in and I have gained two pounds!

Now to be fair I had a pretty bad weekend,and overall my average for the week was 390 calories over what my calories should have been,

But I'm just wondering has anyone else experienced weight gain on the shred program,
Or are the 2lbs down to my naughty weekend?

Thanks for any info ????

Replies

• FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    More than likely, it's because of your weekend eating. If you ate high sodium foods, or drank a bit, then you are probably retaining more water than usual. So you will need to drink water and cut back on the sodium now.

However, If you average 390 calories over per day - you WILL gain about a pound in 10 days or so.

I lost quite a bit of weight on 30 DS.

Maybe you should take your measurements too; in order to have a better estimate of what your progress on the program is.
  • Trackerfit2
    Trackerfit2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply,

Sorry my post wasn't very clear, I meant I was 390 over on Friday,Saturday and Sunday (so coming in at 1590 calories on those days)!

That might explain the gain so, but I just thought two pounds was high for one weekend!

Will get it down again next week hopefully :)

Good advice on the water too, I have to admit I'm terrible when it comes to drinking water, lucky to make 500ml a day,
    Guessing on mfp I should be drinking a lot more then?

Also if you don't mind me asking, when did you start to see results on the 30ds?
    Thanks again!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself several times throughout the day to see how eating and activities affect me. I can easily gain or lose 2 pounds within a day. Don't sweat it. It's probably just water weight. Keep up with the program and keep to your calorie goal as much as possible. You'll be fine. Take a picture now and then again in the same clothes and poses at the end of the program. The scale does not tell the whole picture.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I just started phase 3, and my weight initially went up instead of down, too. From what I've been reading, it's most likely water retention. The BF% on my scale is slowly going down, even if my actual weight isn't. At this point my weight is right where I started, but I do feel stronger and better.

A little frustrating, since I'm no where close to my goal weight yet. There's still plenty to lose.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Can't out train poor nutrition. i've gained weight no insanity a number of times
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    More than likely, it's because of your weekend eating. If you ate high sodium foods, or drank a bit, then you are probably retaining more water than usual. So you will need to drink water and cut back on the sodium now.

However, If you average 390 calories over per day - you WILL gain about a pound in 10 days or so.

I lost quite a bit of weight on 30 DS.

Maybe you should take your measurements too; in order to have a better estimate of what your progress on the program is.

She will NOT gain a pound in about 10 days or so, at most she would be eating at maintenance. Her eating at 390 over her goal has nothing to with a 2lbs temporary gain.

The calorie goal on MFP includes about an 500 calorie deficit already.

It most likely has to do with sodium intake, her change in physical activity (water retention), or just normal body weight fluctuations.

Watch for trends, not daily gains.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water retention from hard workouts. IMO.
  • Trackerfit2
    Trackerfit2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice???? I really am feeling better on mfp so I won't let the 2lb Get to me too much anyway ????

Must watch my sodium levels carefully this week, and hopefully that'll sort the water retention!

Out of curiosity do ye have any tips on managing this or is it a matter of finding what works personally ?
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The best way to "manage" it is to not worry about it. Your weight will go up and down all the time. Look for trends over several weeks to months, not over one day. I have had days where we had potlucks at work, and my weight fluctuated up by four or five pounds due to the quantity of food in my body, and all the sodium. The temporary weight gain slowly goes away after a couple days and I'm back to where I was...and often lower because it was just one day in the grand scheme of things, and my trend is still downward.

Don't sweat it! You're fine.

Edit: I wanted to add...when I take a rest week from working out (I do this ever twelve weeks or so), I tend to lose four or five pounds. This is just from all the excess fluid the body retains while healing and repairing muscles. Then, when I start working out again...BAM! I gain for or five pounds almost immediately as my muscles start sucking up all that water again.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply,

Sorry my post wasn't very clear, I meant I was 390 over on Friday,Saturday and Sunday (so coming in at 1590 calories on those days)!

That might explain the gain so, but I just thought two pounds was high for one weekend!

Will get it down again next week hopefully :)

Good advice on the water too, I have to admit I'm terrible when it comes to drinking water, lucky to make 500ml a day,
    Guessing on mfp I should be drinking a lot more then?

Also if you don't mind me asking, when did you start to see results on the 30ds?
    Thanks again!

Oh, I thought you meant you were eating 390 over your goal every day, sorry :/

I saw weight loss within the first couple of weeks. I know the initial loss was pure water weight. And I also came from totally and completely sedentary to having Jillian! so that made a huge difference.
    But I think that what truly made the biggest difference is that I changed my eating habits completely, stopped drinking beer and wine and started drinking tons of water. So my body got rid of all the bloat/water weight.

You can add me if you'd like :)