Measuring cups vs. ounces

Options
scotlandr14
scotlandr14 Posts: 3 Member
I bought a digital food scale and am actually using it. Now that I've developed the habit of weighing out my food portion, I have a question about converting ounces from the scale to cups. For example, how do i convert 3 ounces of rice to a CUP measurement. The food selection database lists rice at 1 cup or 1/2 cup. What's that in ounces?
Considering the only stupid question is the one not asked, I appreciate your help.

Replies

• Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ounces on the scale is a measurement of weight

ounces in a measuring cup is a measurement of volume

I try to look for measurements by weight (ideally grams) for logging

Sometimes product packaging will tell you how much a serving is in both (i.e., 2 tablespoons - a measure of volume = 50 grams - a measure of weight)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just find or enter in my own database entry to include a weight measurement, or look at the nutrition information and just recalculate it based on how much I ate.

For example, the rice I use says a serving is 1/2 cup dry (44g) If I have 88 grams (because I <3 rice) I will log it as two servings, 1 cup.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The weight will vary. You can't "weigh" a cup of something. The amount you can squeeze in the cup will determine your calories and that is determined by its weight.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    OH WAIT, I'm sorry. I get what you are saying. Check for a selection in the database that has the option for a specific weight. Rice should have it.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have found that on MFP somtimes I have to be prepared to convert cups/oz/grams if I want to be really accurate. I do use a digital kitchen scale, and it really really helps in accuracy. I have kinda memorized the way I measure/weigh certain foods now, but whenever it's something new I try to calculate the portion size at least 2 ways in case the MFP database doesn't include the way that seems the most logical to me at first.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Rice should be weighed dry - so search your type of rice and add the word "dry" in, it should bring you to a list with options for weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If it's just plain rice there should be a USDA (MFP input) entry for it, which will have weight as an option.

If you are going off a box and it's plain rice, it really shouldn't be different by brand--just by type of rice. However, all the packaged rice I've seen do have weight measurements too, although usually in grams. (I like grams anyway, since 100 grams is the easiest base to work from.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    put in whatever kind of rice it is followed by USDA and a weight option will come up.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Scroll further down the list of foods and find the rice that has the right weight option, there are hundreds of listings for rice in the database, I'm sure you can find the correct one. Or you have the option to enter your own foods, just don't share them for other members to use :flowerforyou:
  • Dol10
    Dol10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    FourLeaf said it.

Volume versus Weight.

You could have a CUP or liquid gold... in the end, it's still a CUP. You could also have a CUP of marshmallows and it still be a CUP. Obviously, the gold would outweigh the marshmallows by many pounds, but they still both equal a CUP in volume.

You need to weigh the rice out if you want just 3oz. Cup Volume to Weight Conversion doesnt make sense.
  • freebutterfly02
    freebutterfly02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As someone who loves her rice. This is what I do:
    For 2 oz of cooked rice I input as .25 of a cup. For 1/2 cup .5
    I also have this handy fridge magnet

Measure Equivalents
    Cup Fluid oz TBSP TSP Milliliter (miligrams)
    1 8 16 48 237
    3/4 6 12 36 177
    2/3 5 11 32 158
    1/2 4 8 24 118
    1/3 3 5 16 79
    1/4 2 4 12 59
    1/8 1 2 6 30
    1/16 .5 1 3 15
  • freebutterfly02
    Options
    sorry it didn't come out with everything listed as I hoped :(
  • scotlandr14
    scotlandr14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I get it. Ounces (weight) and CUPs (volume) are apples and oranges. I need to look in the database more or add my own entry, although that part about not sharing the entry with the database is news to me. I didn't know there are private food lists and public lists. Thank for helping me out with this.
    I've been using MFP since May 10th and really like it. I find the tool so easy to use (measurements aside) that it encourages me to keep posting my meals. It certainly has caused me to think twice about indulging. The part I like the best are the daily/weekly reports. That really tells a story about my eating habits.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP on the computer the items listed without the * are MFP items and are correct. Items with the * are added by MFP users and could have incorrect nutritional information. Try to use foods that without the *. If you cant find what you are looking for then try to find one with many confirmations or compare the nutritional label yourself.

Other hints, search for items in the plural, ex apples. Also try adding descriptors like vegetable, fruit, legume, raw, fresh etc.
  • freebutterfly02
    Options