Frozen veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes because they are frozen at their peak.
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! I eat a bag of frozen veggies everyday. Best way to cook is to microwave or stovetop with a couple tablespoons of water.

Great post! Glad to see so many people love veggies! :heart:
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Everything I have read says that frozen are just you as good. Try the steamfresh kind that you put the bag in the microwave they come out great. you can get them seasoned or plain. I stay away from the sauce because that can add lots of calories.

I often nuke my frozen veggies in a bowl. just plain. peas are perfect that way.I will add tomato sauce for flavor if needed.

Microwave kills the nutrients. Always steam!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read says that frozen are just you as good. Try the steamfresh kind that you put the bag in the microwave they come out great. you can get them seasoned or plain. I stay away from the sauce because that can add lots of calories.

I often nuke my frozen veggies in a bowl. just plain. peas are perfect that way.I will add tomato sauce for flavor if needed.

Microwave kills the nutrients. Always steam!

do you have some science to back that up???

Because- that's pretty much what nuking them does- steams them- it just does it faster.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bahah...I feel the SAME way, girl! 3 servings = 1 of my servings ;) Gotta love being fit & healthy!

Oh Thank God! I thought I was the only one that ate more than 1 "serving" of them. Ha! That settles my mind of trying to get down to that suggested serving size. Nope. Not for me!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bahah...I feel the SAME way, girl! 3 servings = 1 of my servings ;) Gotta love being fit & healthy!

Oh Thank God! I thought I was the only one that ate more than 1 "serving" of them. Ha! That settles my mind of trying to get down to that suggested serving size. Nope. Not for me!

nope-
    6 minutes in the microwave.
    dump contents in bowl.
    salt
    pepper
    1/2 tablespoon of butter

consume. That's my pre-curser to dinner. or with dinner.

I often just eat them alone when I'm hungry.

I effing love california blend.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes because they are frozen at their peak.

This esp for out of season veggies that are not local.

If the veggies are not local they are picked before they are ripe...ripen (often over ripen) in the truck coming to the warehouse for the store, then still ripen from the warehouse to the actual store.

(My family is in transportation) so I know for a fact it takes at least 10 days for items to get picked, packed, shipped to warehouse then to store for consumption.

Frozen, picked at peak trucked to a nearby factory frozen that day.

Unless I get it at a farmers market or I have grown it...most of my veggies are frozen...
  • Ice_Arrows
    Ice_Arrows Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow so many suggestions on rep and they all sound great :smile:

Nice to know that they are just as good, or if not slightly better, than fresh. Have to get around to watching that youtube video later tonight.

On another note, there is the biggest sale i have ever seen on fresh strawberries this week, two dollars a pound. Also bathroom scale was confirmed to be over by twenty pounds.... well at least my weight wasn't as high as thought.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

And a lot of sodium for the ones with sauce.

I've been making broccoli & cauliflower & just adding cheese to it.
  • Jennrich0725
    Jennrich0725 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That is good to know. Fresh veggies are getting too expensive. I just bought two big bags of veggies so this is great info
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen veggies, steam in bag kind, all the time. Sometimes it's just easier. I think they are fine
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yep that is my only caveat with frozen veg--check the labels to see if it's just veg or if they've added things (salt, etc). Otherwise I think they're great especially because most of the time I can't get to my fresh veg before it spoils :)
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options

this.

I only add S/P and butter to mine- I LOL at "serving" sizes on those steamables- it should just say "1 bag = 1 serving"

This, minus the butter. :D This is why I don't track veg unless it's super sugary (e.g., corn) or starchy (e.g., potatoes/yam/etc.). I love my veg and will eat a whole bag as a serving if I should feel so inclined. It's worked for me so far. :D