Skillet-Braised Chicken Thighs with Chickpeas

Claudia007
Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I'm trying this tonight, wish me luck! I'm omitting the bell peppers because they just don't agree with me and I because I don't have marjoram I'll be substituing with oregano. I hope it turns out as well as it sounds.

Skillet-Braised Chicken Thighs with Chickpeas
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_braised_chicken_thighs_with_chickpeas.html

From EatingWell: September/October 1994, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
This full-bodied dish hails from the Catalán region of Spain. The chicken thighs stay moist and juicy when reheated, so it is a good candidate for making ahead.

6 servings | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Ingredients
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
12 bone-in chicken thighs, (3 1/2-4 pounds), skinned and trimmed
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 small dried red chiles, crumbled
2 onions, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 large green bell peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Preparation
Place flour in a shallow dish and dredge chicken thighs, shaking off excess flour. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron over high heat. Add the chicken, partially cover the pan and cook until the chicken is nicely browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add chiles and cook until they turn dark, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and discard. Add onions and garlic to the pan; cook until soft and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add paprika and marjoram and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, green peppers and salt and pepper to taste; cook for 5 minutes longer.
Return the chicken to the pan, along with 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, 20 to 25 minutes
Add chickpeas and the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth; simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. Blot any fat that rises to the surface with paper towels. Taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition
Per serving : 356 Calories; 16 g Fat; 4 g Sat; 7 g Mono; 100 mg Cholesterol; 21 g Carbohydrates; 33 g Protein; 4 g Fiber; 220 mg Sodium; 362 mg Potassium

1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat

Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop, in the oven (350°F, covered, for 25-30 minutes) or in the microwave.

Replies

• hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    This sounds so good! Let us know how it turns out!

L.
  • Claudia007
    Will do! I'm a little nervous about this recipe, but I enjoy making new things, so we'll see what happens! I also have some harsh critics, my husband and kids! :wink:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    :happy: Yum!
  • Claudia007
    Made this last night and it was REALLY good! as I stated, I made some adjustments (omitted green peppers and subsituted oregano for the marjoram) and I also didn't cook the dried red chilies in the hot oil because I ran out! so instead I added about 1 tsp of crushed red peppers for some kick and it turned out excellent! And it wasn't difficult to make at all
  • Sounds yummy! I am not a fan of dark meat so I am thinking of trying it with chicken breasts.
  • Claudia007
    Sounds yummy! I am not a fan of dark meat so I am thinking of trying it with chicken breasts.

I'm not a fan either, but my husband is and he's also a cheapskate! So we have lots of chicken thighs and drumsticks (because they are less expensive) so I have been seaching for low cal recipes for these. Let me know how it works with the breasts :smile:
This discussion has been closed.