When you first start loosing how much is water weight?

Options
Hello I know they say when you first loose weight it's usuall water weight at first. I'm down 20lbs now and don't notice any difference yet, accept that I'm not tired any more. How much of that do you think is just water weight? Thanks

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Well, when I've "started up fresh" like I did last week, I've lost anywhere from 4-8 pounds, and then go down to about 0-2 pounds a week average. I've seen men lose more their first couple of weeks. It depends.
  • Ashado2014
    Ashado2014 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am actually curious because on Thursday it will be two weeks that I have faithfully been on the Herbalife Diet plan. If I loose four more by Thursday it will be 25 pounds in two weeks for me. I really don't notice any size difference myself, but I do notice I'm not tired all the tme like I was. So I guess I wondered how much is actually water weight.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am actually curious because on Thursday it will be two weeks that I have faithfully been on the Herbalife Diet plan. If I loose four more by Thursday it will be 25 pounds in two weeks for me. I really don't notice any size difference myself, but I do notice I'm not tired all the tme like I was. So I guess I wondered how much is actually water weight.

25 pounds in 2 weeks? That is impossible. If you have actually lost that much weight it is water weight and you have lost an unhealthy amount of water. Are you avoiding sodium completely and drinking gallons of water every day because that is NOT a good idea.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hello I know they say when you first loose weight it's usuall water weight at first. I'm down 20lbs now and don't notice any difference yet, accept that I'm not tired any more. How much of that do you think is just water weight? Thanks
    A vast majority of it.
    If you count your calories you can guestimate a little better what the rate of weight loss vs water loss would be.

My first week I believe I was around 11 lbs with a deficit of 7200 calories so really just about 2 of it was fat.
    Since then, for me at least and it isnt linear for most people, I can tabulate what the scale is going to say simply by the caloric deficit.

I dont know much about the herbalife thing you are doing but i would be wary of any of those weight loss supplements and such. . Many times when people do those things they dont learn a damned thing about actually how to lose and maintain weight and them simply gain it back when they decide to go off of it.
  • Ashado2014
    Options

25 pounds in 2 weeks? That is impossible. If you have actually lost that much weight it is water weight and you have lost an unhealthy amount of water. Are you avoiding sodium completely and drinking gallons of water every day because that is NOT a good idea.
  • Ashado2014
    Options
    Aaron I was actualy just at my doctor on Friday and she was very pleased with my loss. Yes Thursday will be 25 pounds down in two weeks. I am on a 1,200 a day calorie count.
  • thavoice
    Options
    Of course a Dr is going to be happy with seeing weight loss.

But dont be dillusional and think that you actually lost 20 lbs, and soon to be 25, lbs of fat in that time period. A vast majority of it is water.

You mentioned how you are on a 1200 a day. If you are consuming that and by inputting into a TDEE calculater you are below about 500 cals a day, give or take, which would equal out to 3500/ week which is roughly a pound.

That is geat you are seeing a big drop in the scale, but everyone is just trying to tell you that what you are seeing is very much water weight and soon will be closer to a pound a week.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Aaron I was actualy just at my doctor on Friday and she was very pleased with my loss. Yes Thursday will be 25 pounds down in two weeks. I am on a 1,200 a day calorie count.

You understand that losing 20 pounds of fat in 14 days is impossible right? That would be 6,750 calories per day burned. You are not burning 6,750 calories per day at 1200 calorie intake and no exercise you are burning closer to 700 calories a day which would be mean in 14 days you have probably lost about 2-3 pounds of fat.

My concern for you is a valid concern. If you have lost 20 pounds and 3 pounds of fat that means you have lost 17 pounds of water. That is possible but only if you have really bottomed out your sodium levels.

So my next question is this. What is your sodium intake? How many mg of sodium are you ingesting every day? Keep in mind that sodium is essential for your body, it is not something to avoid completely.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I started at 248.5 and lost 6 pounds the first week. I think that was almost all water. Then I lost 2 pounds a week consistently for weeks--that was the easy fat to lose. As you get down closer to your goal weight, each succeeding pound is harder to lose (I visualize it has the thick lard that is holding on to you for dear life).
  • marisa231
    marisa231 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am wondering how much of my 'weight loss' is just water as well. I'm 5'7'' and I started at 174 lbs, I have been dieting for about a month (with the occasional cheat day) and this morning I was down to 164lbs! I know some of it was water, I am wondering how much? I've heard that the first 5 lbs lost is usually water, but I figured it would be different for everyone.

If it helps, I have been about 1200 cals a day and not eating back any calories burned from working out.

Thank you for any responses.
  • thavoice
    Options
    I am wondering how much of my 'weight loss' is just water as well. I'm 5'7'' and I started at 174 lbs, I have been dieting for about a month (with the occasional cheat day) and this morning I was down to 164lbs! I know some of it was water, I am wondering how much? I've heard that the first 5 lbs lost is usually water, but I figured it would be different for everyone.

If it helps, I have been about 1200 cals a day and not eating back any calories burned from working out.

Thank you for any responses.
    Hard to tell exactly, but after that second week it I think you get a better representation to what you actually lose.
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    25 lbs in 2 weeks sounds dangerous. Personally I would be scared. Your doctor feels this is ok?
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    25lbs in 2 weeks just doesn't sound good. That's alot of weight. Could the scales be off?
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I lost about 7lbs in a week, that was water weight, then I gained about 4 back. I agree with other posters- 25 lbs in 2 weeks doesn't seem healthy. Do you plan on keeping on your herbalife program forever? It doesn't seem to me like it's something that is sustainable and would cause you to be more likely to gain it all back once you return to "normal food".