What's your opinion on MapMyRun?

2»

Replies

• _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Wow, interesting feedback! I may have to look into Runtastic and Runkeeper. Accurate GPS is something that I think I would be interested in. Maybe if I continue running for exercise I may be interested in other features, but I just want a GPS that works calculating distance and speed, etc.

Capt_Apollo: No worries! I am aware that the elliptical isn't the same as running. I'm not 100% sure I will be running the whole first 5K of the day. My teammates aren't in the best of shape either so I can see a lot of walking. And the second 5K of the day is more of an obstacle course than a 5K run so I'm making sure that I'm doing strength training in order to not hurt myself too much.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i've done many obstacle course races, and have found that most people neglect the cardio-endurance factor of it during training.

you're running/doing two 5k's in one day? you need to be able to run 5-6 miles in one clip, or i believe you will most definitely be walking the entirety of that second race.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    GPS accuracy is just as much a matter of your phone as it is the app .... the only real difference in the apps is the smoothing algorithm they use ... if it gets a signal or not and where each point plots is on the phone.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Not arguing - it's a genuine question because my learn to run group is currently having this discussion - what other features are available?

Personally I found MapMyFitness unreliable in terms of both tracking and synching back to the cloud, so lost a lot of sessions when I used it. I also find the website very busy and not particularly usable.

I use Endomondo and Runkeeper in parallel now.

Runkeeper - Reliable, although more sensitive to rain than other apps, even when they're used in parallel. That's not a huge issue, I think perhaps two or three runs in the last 14 months have been affected. Decent social interaction and a solid ecosystem of related services that use the HealthGraph spine. Premium version allows for live tracking.

Endomondo - Huge selection of exercise types, I've found it better for tracking, but calorie estimates tend to be on the high side. Good analytical tools on the website, and with the premium version there is a lot that can be done with tags and various types of cutting up the data. Social integration is good on this as well.

Runtastic - Again a fussy website that I found unpleasant to use. The business model is a bit odd with lots of upselling. That makes the premium options quite expensive . In practical terms I found this a bit of a battery hog, my phone couldn't last for a full long run when I was using it.

Strava - Haven't personally used it but it gets a good reputation amongst serious trainers, I understand that the community aspect is very strong.
  • _rachel_k
    Capt_Apollo: I know I'm not doing enough actual running training. I was going to start Monday and haven't started yet so early to bed tonight so I can get started tomorrow morning! I'm hoping to be walking most of the first 5K. The courses are also approx 4 hours apart between when the first one ends and the second one begins, that will either help or hinder me.

brianpperkins: Interesting! I never really thought about that.
  • _rachel_k
    MeanderingMam: what do you mean you use them in parallel
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMam: what do you mean you use them in parallel

I run both on my phone at the same time. I prefer the analytical capability in Endomondo, and I use the coaching from that service, but have a wider social network on Runkeeper and I've got it hooked up to a couple of other things, including MFP.

The only drawback is that they both access the phone GPS, so occasionally the trace can jitter slightly. I'd also discovered that if both give pace feedback at the same time it can be harder to listen to the one I want to listen to.
  • _rachel_k
    MeanderingMam: Gotcha!! I kinda figured that, but wanted to make sure.
  • _rachel_k
    Well, I'm not sure how it happened, but I lost 5 minutes on my "run" this morning. I was out of my apartment for 40 minutes but the app had me at 34. I'm not sure if it's because my Background App Refresh was off or not. Either way it said I completed 2.43 km in 34:23 (including warm up) and I averaged 14:01/km. I will plan my rout better so I can figure out the exact distance (I was all over the place, then I ended up home in less time than it took me to get to what I thought was half way so I had to make something up)
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    I love the MapMyRun site for planning different routes.
    I use Endomondo on my phone for when I'm running.

As to your lost time, you may have auto-pause turned ON on your tracking app. If you stop at a stop light for example, it will "pause" your workout. Depending on your route, this could add up to ~5 mins, pretty easily, So 40min door-door would have only involved 35 minutes of running.
  • _rachel_k
    jason_adams: I looked into it during my cool down and my auto pause is turned off. Not sure what the culprit is though.

What do you like about Endomondo?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    I like the MapMyRun site. I track all my workouts on there because it can show me reports in different ways, and I like that. And it has routes from the last 6 or so years on it, which is great. The phone app is good, but will often run a little short (as much as .05 per mile, but usually around .02). I usually run with my Garmin watch and then log workouts afterwards.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    jason_adams: I looked into it during my cool down and my auto pause is turned off. Not sure what the culprit is though.

What do you like about Endomondo?

It runs on my Blackberry and works well. I can go for long runs (~ 2 hrs) with tunes on, get coaching feedback from the app and still have battery power at the end. Accuracy is quite good.

On the Endomondo site, I get good reports on my exercise, distances, best times, etc, and can compare with my friends.
  • _rachel_k
    Holy. Approx 2 hour runs? My run seems more pitiful than I previously thought

MapMyRun doesn't have a countdown feature which kind of sucks. At least I have the iPhone timer
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147 Member
    Haven't used the others, but only cause I haven't found a reason too. I find mapmyrun to be accurate, I love that it synchs with my playlists, as well as fitbit and MFP.

Stats are ok... Would definitely like more there, but on the whole, I'm a fan.
  • MeanderingMammal
    It runs on my Blackberry and works well. I can go for long runs (~ 2 hrs) with tunes on, get coaching feedback from the app and still have battery power at the end. Accuracy is quite good.

On the Endomondo site, I get good reports on my exercise, distances, best times, etc, and can compare with my friends.

I've had 2.5 - 3 hours on a Galaxy S4 running Runkeeper and Endomondo. Runtastic trashed the battery in an hour :(

Runkeeper has access to trail information, so useful for planning. That lack of trail information is a real frustration with the Endomondo site, and since they're accessing the same mapping databases it's curious that they don't display that layer.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    I like it so far. I don't like syncing it to MFP. Has anyone bought a Bluetooth HR monitor to work with the app.
  • _rachel_k
    I just learned to sync my MapMyRun+ with MFP. I thought it automatically updated when you completed a run...... I don't think it does.

i don't necessarily need pre-planned trails, just something to keep track as accurately as possible. My co-worker used Endomondo and told me to try it.

nyiballs: Fitbit. I hear mixed reviews about it. What do you think of yours? What do you use it for?