HRM and Calculating Calories Burned

Options
I have an old basic Polar HRM that does nothing but calculate my average heart rate and the total time exercised. So, I know how long I am running and I have the the average HR for that period of time, but now I need to know how to figure out the calories I am burning during that time. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good on-line calculator which I could use to get the info. I will eventually get a fancy HRM that does if for me, but in the mean time I need some guidance.

Thanks!

Replies

• cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Here is a good one. It correlates pretty well with my HRM, just set your VO2 to 35

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

Try this site and make sure you put in 35 where it tells you too. I put in my HR for my Bike and it seemed a very good estimate. This does goe by age, weight, sex, HR so Have fun
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I use that site also. I did a test on the treadmill that gave me my vo2 that I use.
  • wh0a_is_me
    Options
    Ohh, I was looking into buying one of those "fancy" HRMs, but this is probably cheaper!

What exactly would you put for your average HR though? I imagine it goes up and down during a workout..would you just input where it stayed at most of the time?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Ohh, I was looking into buying one of those "fancy" HRMs, but this is probably cheaper!

What exactly would you put for your average HR though? I imagine it goes up and down during a workout..would you just input where it stayed at most of the time?

It is really to be used with HRM that just give average heart rate but doesn't give calories burned.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

The HRM does the calculation for me. I press a button at the end and out spits the info. I purchased the thing 6 yrs ago. Technology wise it ancient. I don't know if Polar still makes something so basic.

Thanks to everyone for the info on the calculation site! You are all the best.