Is Shakeology Worth It?

Options
2»

Replies

• Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My co-worker was talking about it and she described it as a cult or some type of brain-washing scheme. LOL. She told me how ever since her friend started Shakeology, it's like her friend attributed all the good things in life to Shakeology and tried to sell it to everyone she knew.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    My co-worker was talking about it and she described it as a cult or some type of brain-washing scheme. LOL. She told me how ever since her friend started Shakeology, it's like her friend attributed all the good things in life to Shakeology and tried to sell it to everyone she knew.

It is the same with all the other MLM weight loss products also.
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    No. If you want to drink shakes get protein powder for 1/4th the cost and eat actual food with it too.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Everyone offering me samples is wanting to charge me like $25 for 5 samples and I don't think that is right. My friend is willing to give me 5 for only $10. I am going to give a try and see if I even like it and then go from there. Now that summer is here, I have been at the pool every morning to swim laps and I seem to be getting a ton of energy from just that and my gym time. Thank you so much to everyone for their perspective and time! It is greatly appreciated!

I'll send you a free sample, don't pay for samples. Then if you want to buy it go ahead and buy it from one of your friends. It is expensive and if you are on a strict budget it's not worth it. I like it for convenience though and I think it tastes great. Message me if you are interested and I can get you a sample.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Shakeology has the worse after taste of any diet drink I have ever had in my life. The taste is good at 1st touch on the tongue, then after that it is nasty stuff. I have tried all different mix-ins and I cannot find anything to mask the horrible after taste. I prefer my EAS vanilla whey protein from Walmart and I am sure that is not nearly close to the best protein powder. It taste100% better than shakeology with only PB2 in it.

So no I do not think it is worth $130 a month. You can put a bunch of fruits and veggies inside of your protein shake, take daily multivitamins and eat more fruits and veggies throughout the day.

Edit: Just to say I know Shakeology is not protein powder and is a meal replacement shake, but you can make one from a good brand 100% whey protein powder.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    There is nothing mystical or magical about Shakeology. Nothing. It will not do anything more for you then eating at a reasonable deficit and the same amount of calories. You will not magically lose more because you drink a specific shake. So is it worth it? Hell to the no. It's a marketing scam. Pure and simple.

Also, the people on this site with the most success at losing and maintaining never seem to fall for this sort of junk. Listen to them more then people who are trying to promote their business. Honestly, I think MFP should ban every dang "coach" who tries to turn people to Shakeology. They don't care about you. They care about the money you have.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    No!!!!
    It tasted very artificial to me. I didn't like it at all!!!!!

I LOVE Mynt. Its an all natural, zero soy, protein shake mix. Here is the link of who I buy it from online:
    http://bodhilia.gomynt.com

I get the Vanilla Bean Mmmmmm!!!!! They have chocolate too.

We have a winner....reported 6 times in 3 minutes
  • ThatGirlYouKnowTheOne
    Options
    A sample is FREE. Why are you paying for a sample? It's called a sample so that you can try it. Does Cinnabon charge for the samples they give out at the malls? Would you pay them for a "sample" of their food? Your friend is taking advantage of you. Shakeology is not a quick fix. I have a friend who is a BB coach, who has been using Shakeology for over three years, and has lost 45 pounds only - in three years. I reduced my carb intake and increased my protein intake and have lost 9 pounds in EIGHT DAYS! I have tons of energy since doing that, and my breakfast costs less than $1.50!

Read this Shakeology user's last sentence carefully:
    "Personally, I loved it. It was freakin' delicious, it helped control my appetite, and I did lose weight while on it. I was also eating healthy, and working out on a pretty strict and rigorous routine. So really had I removed the Shakeology from my morning routine, I'd likely still have lost the weight."
  • EandA85
    EandA85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I used it for a month and I liked it, but I couldn't justify the cost. I like drinking a shake in the morning instead of breakfast (for convenience) and I really liked the consistency/taste when I blended it with ice. It also did fill me up, and helped me maintain my deficit.

That being said, I now just buy a protein powder and mix it with almond milk and frozen strawberries when I'm in the mood for a shake in the mornings. Much cheaper and just as tasty.

If Shakeology had a price of $60 or less a month I'd probably have continued to buy it.
  • Richterchuk
    Richterchuk Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Unbiased review here.

I am against MLM's for all they are worth - just because I think there should be an option to purchase a good product at a reduced price without having to bug my friends and family just to get a discount!

I'm not a coach, get no benefit from recommending.

I lost a good portion of my weight without using Shakeology, and would never attribute my weight loss to it.

Rather, it is just a food I use, just like I'd eat greek yogurt or something else.

I'm a busy mom (I have six kids!) and you can't beat the convenience. Yes, I know you can make your own, and I spent lots of time looking up recipes online, trying to make my own and experimenting, etc. But truthfully I really like the taste of it, and it's nice to just be able to throw it together. My favourite use is for lunch, but occasionally I'll have one for breakfast, or save it for an afternoon snack (if you are prone to afternoon or evening cravings, this is a surefire way to beat them!)

My favourite and go to recipes are:

Apple Oatmeal Shake- 1 scoop Vanilla Shakeology, 1 unsweetened applesauce cup, 1 tbsp oatmeal, 1 tsp cinnamon
    Greenberry Mint Shamrock Shake - 1 scoop Greenberry, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup water, 1 tbsp natural PB (or PB2), 1/2 tsp pure mint extract
    Iced Mocha (perfect for replacing those iced cappuccino drinks on a hot day!) - 1 scoop Vanilla, 1/2 cup unsweetened Almond milk, 1/2 cup cooled brewed coffee, 1 tsp pure unsweetened cocoa, LOTS of ice!

My trick is to blend all the ingredients first, then add lots of ice. Tastes like a treat to me. I've tried using just protein powder and it's good but not the same.

It's worth the cost to me because my time is worth money. If I can just throw it together, feel good about what I ate, not have to invest time/energy in trying to duplicate something similar, etc. then it's worth it. Don't get me wrong, I feel like it can and should be much cheaper, and perhaps down the road when I am closer to my goal weight (and perhaps less busy), I can try and make my own, but for now, it works for me and I really like it.

Again, I would never attribute my weight loss to it. I like to think that's all me :) I've worked very hard up to this point!