How much do you net?

Options
Hi all! Just curious as to what you all net, calorie-wise, each day. My activity levels vary pretty widely day-to-day, and while I generally eat according to my TDEE, I know that I do need to eat more on the days I bike 20 miles roundtrip to work and also lift at lunch, compared to the days I sit around like a glorious bum. Is focusing on the calories I net the better way to go? And how much should I net, if so?

Replies

• bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    follow
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't know, the whole net calorie thing confuses me so I don't pay attention to it.

I aim to lose 1lb/wk from a food deficit and any additional cals I burn exercising are an added bonus, so maybe I lose another 1/4lb/wk or I can eat more if I choose. I think of exercise cals as giving me a 'buffer zone' so that if I'm hungry or want a little something, something I can have it without worrying about it messing up my overall plan.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I total about 1700-2000 most days. I just ignore the exercise calories, I figure if I need to eat them back I will get hungry or not be able to exercise as hard and then I'll tweak as needed.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 1100-1800. Almost always in the range of 1300-1700 though.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    not enough to afford a car. bada-bump!
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I figure I'm supposed to net AT LEAST my BMR - 1350ish - but that seems low considering what BMR means (your body's baseline caloric needs, like if you were comatose). I'm not sure if people are paying attention to calories netted and how far above their BMR they were aiming for.
  • sarah4409
    sarah4409 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is what I do too.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I eat a net 2,250. But I'm trying to gain weight. So tonight I'll burn about 200 calories liftng weights so will eat a total of 2450 today.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    1300-1600.
    Varies from day to day.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Usually around 1100 to 1400. Before calorie counting, some days, especially when I'm alone on the weekends, I just don't feel like eating or I forget to eat and I'd have to force myself. And then there were other days where I gorge myself on food! I really like MFP because it keeps my eating habits stable. Lol...
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of my exercise calories. This was a lesson learned back when I didn't--I tended to get sick following endurance (3-6 hour) athletic events, which was solved predictably enough when I learned from an endurance sports nutritionist that I should be eating more and began better fueling my body. :)

My calorie target is 2082. My actual eating varies between 1850 and 2350.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I have 50 lbs still to lose so am aiming for 1000 calorie deficit each day. I have to net 1200 each day to achieve this deficit.

I have a fitbit and an HRM. Between them, I feel I get a pretty good (though not perfect) idea of my calories burned each day.

I make sure that I exercise enough to burn at least 2200 each day because I don't want to eat less than 1200 in a day.
    I eat back all my exercise calories and just maintain 1000 calorie deficit.

It is a very simple approach with a minimum of guesswork and is working well - I have lost 17 lbs in 8 weeks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method... I'm not sure how much I burn from my workouts though, but I'm guessing 1300-1400 most days.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! These responses were helpful. I think I'll aim to net between 1400 and 1600 and see where that takes me for a while.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    5000 calories atm