Clean eating VS Eating Calorie goal

Options
Hello can of worms I have just opened. I never knew this was in debate? Guess it makes sense.... you can lose weight reducing portions or eating whole.raw. clean foods. The question I am wondering is...

How does a person look eating 1200-1400 calories of junk food a day VS a person eating clean 1200-14000 a day...? I mean is there a difference, better hair, skin, nails, muscle definition.? Mind you (I hope the ppl are working out too) but im curious...

OPINIONS PLEASE. and don't be too nasty.

Replies

• Ktanaqui
    Ktanaqui Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There would be a rather strong difference, because the "clean" foods contain nutrients we actually need - vitamins, minerals, etc. If all we ever needed was the calories + carbs + protein, it wouldn't matter, but with the addition of necessary nutrients such as vitamin a, b, c, d, iron, etc., junk food simply would not cut it. On top of that, junk food contains processed sugars, which our bodies don't take to as well - versus the natural sugars in fruits and veggies, which our bodies prefer so much more.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    ^Body treats most sugars pretty much the same.

I think they would look relatively the same, although any discrepancy in protein levels could cause a difference in retaining lean body mass.

The "clean" eater would probably be healthier in terms of hitting the required micronutrients though (although eating clean doesn't ensure you are hitting all your micros either).

Luckily, this scenario doesn't even have to exist, because there is no reason to choose one or other. Eat a lot of whole foods and enjoy your treats too. In this case, you actually CAN have your cake, and eat it too :flowerforyou:
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My favourite reason for trying to eat less processed and junk, is because you get a whole lot more bang for you buck. If I stay within my calorie goal eating junk, I am left hangry because it's not nearly enough food. I do treat myself to the occasional goodie (a couple fudgeos today) And admittedly, some days I totally eat too much junk but ALWAYS end up over my calorie goal on those days.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Very few people eat nothing but "clean foods," and very few people eat nothing but "junk food."

So your search for two bodies that do each of these respectively with similar workout routines will be fruitless. Just try to find the balance that works for you while also keeping you sane.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    It's too hard to say with only considering a calorie deficit. Body composition would be a huge factor and dietary fat has a lot to do with hair/skin.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Very few people eat nothing but "clean foods," and very few people eat nothing but "junk food."

So your search for two bodies that do each of these respectively with similar workout routines will be fruitless. Just try to find the balance that works for you while also keeping you sane.

This.

I kinda want to post a goofy gif here.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My skin is totally different when I eat mostly clean food vs mostly junk. I've been on junk since the weekend and my skin is red and breaking out.
    obviously this is my personal experience. I know the type of foods I eat effect my skin because I've tested the theory many times. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone. I have a coworker who eats junk 24/7 and her skin is flawless.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    +_dd44d95a00d5b5232babcaebb1be8f2f.jpg
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I feel better.

I have more energy.

I have no cravings.

I track daily on MFP, just because I think it is a good idea to have a way to be disciplined about what I eat and how much I exercise, but I am very, very seldom over my calorie allotment if I continue to eat minimally processed foods.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    +_dd44d95a00d5b5232babcaebb1be8f2f.jpg

Lol...in for the storm to come
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolates, ice cream, cookies, etc. and I have improved my heart issues almost 100%. :drinker:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be one of two extremes?

Why not just eat a balanced diet, meet your body's nutritional requirements, and have a little "junk" too?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hello can of worms I have just opened. I never knew this was in debate? Guess it makes sense.... you can lose weight reducing portions or eating whole.raw. clean foods. The question I am wondering is...

How does a person look eating 1200-1400 calories of junk food a day VS a person eating clean 1200-14000 a day...? I mean is there a difference, better hair, skin, nails, muscle definition.? Mind you (I hope the ppl are working out too) but im curious...

OPINIONS PLEASE. and don't be too nasty.

You have to first define what you will call "clean" and what you will call "junk"

I mean if you are saying that a person will live off of nothing but Ho-Hos and twinkies.....
    Then they could lose weight for sure.....if they are below their calorie goal

Health wise things could be debatable.....
    And if the person were not lifting weights, then he would prolly lose a lot of muscle in the process.
    Probably would still lose a fair amount regardless
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you'd see a difference if someone was eating 100% clean versus 100% junk since the people not eating "clean" (I hate that term btw) would be missing out on essential vitamins and minerals. Thing is that people very rarely eat at a very low calorie goal (1200-1400) while eating only junk, meaning they're only eating highly processed foods with no fruits and vegetables. IMO I don't think there'd be a noticeable difference between a person who eats 100% "clean" versus someone who eats say 50-80% "clean" when they eat the same amount of calories.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Difference is long term vitamin/mineral deficiencies, imo. Not good for the body in the long run if you're eating junk all the time. Also, chronic diseases such as heart disease and metabolic syndrome/type II diabetes (which leads to a bunch of other horrible symptoms like potential blindness, nerve damage, etc....) is a result of both a sedentary lifestyle and "junk" foods high in saturated fats/sugars/chemicals and low in vitamins/minerals. I prefer to eat more "clean" in order to save a bit of suffering later on. But that doesn't mean you can't have your dessert either; like everyone says, it's all about moderation.

Besides that, IDK about you but I find people with nice, healthy "golden" skin very attractive and it so happens, most of them eat more vegetables and fruits than the average person! That's vitamin A and B-carotene in action right there!! I want that glow too!! You can't get the same effect eating a highly processed "junk" food diet....
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Not possible to only eat "junk" and hit macros (specifically protein and fibre) IMO.

But if someone was eating 1200 cals of "junk" only then they would be starving. Minimal satiety. Hence the recommendation for eating predominantly whole unprocessed foods and fitting in some treats where appropriate.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I still dont know one person that hit his macros just by eating junk food.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be one of two extremes?

Why not just eat a balanced diet, meet your body's nutritional requirements, and have a little "junk" too?

This.
  • JennyHollyHansen
    Options
    Since May 1 I have only ate clean foods. I can tell you that I have lost on average half a pound a day. My skin has also cleared up. I do not have the same sweet craving that have me circling my kitchen every 15 minutes. I have much more energy but most importantly I am much more calm. My moods are more even. I do not get agitated as easy. I don't get on the jittery roller coaster that comes with eating a lot of sugary stuff. The changes are subtle but dramatic.