beginning yoga

Options
I want to get good at yoga. Any tips?

Replies

• Talia6288
    Talia6288 Posts: 3
    Options
    Always remember: "It's yoga practice, not yoga perfect." There is no one definite pose, you will always go further in your yoga journey; there is no single destination. Focus on your breathing, and if you lose connection with your breathing go into a comfortable pose (I normally choose child's pose) on the mat to reconnect. Get to class a few minutes early to get some pre-yogi stretching in. Namaste my friend.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do an internet search on "yoga injuries" and read about how to prevent common yoga injuries before you start doing yoga. I think Yoga is great and i do it, but it is good to know how to move properly to protect yourself. I liked the DVD from the library called Yoga for Dummies. Even if you take a class, it is good to read about how to prevent yoga injuries because the teacher doesnt' always have time to get around to help everyone with every postion.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Do it everyday. You'll get better at it. If you have a hard time getting started, do one pose everyday. Then when that is easy, add another pose.

Go to class as often as you can - at least once a week, possibly 2-3 times a week.
  • 75dsk
    75dsk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do you have favorite yoga videos or DVD's that you would recommend for a beginner? I am just starting the 30 day yoga challenge. Thanks in advance.
  • HfxJMac
    HfxJMac Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started yoga six weeks ago and it is great. I go to a studio and practice Moksha Yoga, or "hot" yoga, where the room is heated to a high temperature and humidity level. It's definitely not for everyone, but I enjoy it and I'm really seeing benefits from it - I'm losing weight, getting toned and generally feeling great.

Whether you're doing yoga on your own, or in a studio, just take your time, follow the instructor and enjoy. I really think you're going to enjoy it.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I want to get good at yoga. Any tips?

Breathe. Don't sacrifice form for perfection. If you can do the pose nicely like the triangle pose but you can only reach your knee, then just reach your knee and breathe all the time. Next time try to go a bit lower.

And stick to it. Stay in the pose as long as you can until the instructor releases you.
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips everyone! I've been practicing every day even if it's just a little bit and it had been going great