Opinions on my diet plan

Options
Hello. I am 28 and 5'4". I am currently 169 lbs and need to get down to 135. I have a goal of september and that is probably unrealistic but i am still aiming for it. I was doing a 1200 calorie diet but have modified it to 1500. I plan on working out 5x a week monday - friday and burn 300 calories per 30 minutes of running. On the weekends i plan on resting and consuming a 1200 calorie diet saturday through sunday. I want to allow myself (within calorie count) a few cheat items saturday through sunday. Here is an example of my diet:

Any thought, advice on changes for the better are welcome. I dont have a lot of time to prepare meals for myself because i have a baby and a husband that all have separate dietary needs and its the easiest for me on the fly.easy suggestions welcome.

Monday-friday (1500 Cals a day)

Breakfast (180)
Poached Egg 70 cals
Toast 60 cals
Coffee 0 cals
Fat free Half half 20 cals 2 tbsp
Sugar 30 cals 2 tsp

Snacks (290)
Apple cals 130 cals
Almonds 1/4 cup 160 cals

Lunch (238)
Toast 60 cals
Tuna pouch 140 cals
Half lemon 8 cals
Helmanns Light mayo 1 tbsp 35 cals

Snacks (280)
All bran 1 cup 120 cals
1% milk 1/2 cup 55 cals
Banana 105

Dinner (235)
Laughing cow wedge 35 cals
1 cup royal basmati 200 cals

Snacks (272)
20 olives 200 cals or avocado
Tea with 9 sugar cubes 72 cals

Saturday 1200 total cals

Breakfast (225)
Coffee 0 cals
Half half fat free 2 tbsp 20 cals
Sugar 2 tbsp 30 cals
All bran complete 1 cup 120 cals
1% milk 1/2 cup 55 cals

Snack (105)
Banana 105 cals

Lunch (445)
Salmon nigiri 6 piece sushi 270
Soy sauce 20 cals
Coke 140 cals
Wasabi 1 tsp 15 cals

Snack (160)
Almonds 160 cals

Dinner (200)
20 olives 200 cals

Snack (64)
Tea 0 cals
7 sugar cubes 64 cals

Sunday 1200 cals total

Breakfast (170)
Toast 60 cals
1 tbsp honey 60 cals
Coffee 0 cals
Fat free Half half 2tbsp 20 cals
Sugar 2 tsp 30 cals

Snack (130)
Apple 130

Lunch (300 cals)
Java chip frappuccino non fat w/ whipped cream 300 cals

Snack (242)
1 slice Bread 60 cals
1/2 tbsp natural peanut butter 52 cals
1/2 tbsp strawberry preserves 25 cals
Banana 105

Dinner (225)
1/4 cup non fat cabot yogurt 25 cals
1 cup basmati rice 200

Snack (130)
Apple 130

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You need to add lots of different veggies!
    You can eat a lot for not many calories.
    Add a little spice and extra virgin olive oil for nutrient absorption.
    Adding veggies will greatly increase your fiber and thus satiation.
  • BlackDaisy85
    BlackDaisy85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Which veggies are the best?
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. You need some veggies in your daily routine. They are good for you...lol...its the mom in me.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Which veggies are the best?
    Depending on what you enjoy, eat a variety.
    I love broccoli
    spinach
    kale
    mixed baby greens salad
    tomato
    cucumber
    peppers
    green beans
    eggplant
    peas
    carrots
    corn
    asparagus

I can go on with this list forever but I think you get the idea. You will get lots if fiber, nutrients and you'll feel great!
    Good for the whole family!
  • BlackDaisy85
    BlackDaisy85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Looks kind of light on the protein, fat, and veggies (there are none), and heavy on the fruit and grains.

There's nothing wrong with treating yourself once a week to a small frappuccino. But if that caffeinated, high-sugar drink is all you have for lunch, you're going to be starving and jittery within an hour or two as your blood sugar spikes, than crashes. At least eat some protein and fat at your mid-morning snack, or with the drink.
  • camralens
    camralens Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough protein. And there are other items you can choose for a meal. Example: 250 calories for a fruit/protein smoothie is better than zero calories of Diet Soda. Before I eat something, I always make sure its beneficial to my body; like body fuel.

Not so much Corn, Carrots, and Peas. They are more like sugar veggies. Make your plate really colorful, especially with greens

And weight training is more beneficial than cardio is. You will feel Strength Training for 3 days, where cardio is only for the time you are moving.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    20 olives for dinner?

Really?

Particularly lacking in veggies and protein, and probably unsustainable - even for 3 months IMO.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Exercise - too much cardio... replace 3 days of cardio with resistance training
    Calories - if the BMR calculators are even close, than 1500 might even be a bit light. Based on 150 minutes of exercise, I would think 1700 calories daily (total not net) is a better. But if you are going to be a bit more aggressive, than you need larger amounts of protein and resistance training and you should maintain 1500 daily.. even on weekends.
    Protein - you should probably be aiming for over 100g of protein.
  • Ronni66
    Ronni66 Posts: 43
    Options
    Cut out those lattes and the cokes etc. That is wasted calories best spent somewhere else and yeah...they give you nothing but cravings for more. As everyone has said veggies are needed and meats. High Protein , Low Carb diet is really easy to follow, don't need to count calories really, just need to watch portion sizes.

Portion Sizes should be: Take your plate visually cut in half, then take one of those halves and cut again. The two small "sides" should contain meat of some kind and the other side can be a starch, i would go for a complex one if you can, the larger portion should be filled with green veggies. Mix em up , or have a lot of one, but that should be how portions go .

Also, size of the portion should be no bigger then your fist and no more then 1/12 to 2 inches high. No piling on like mountain!

Snacks like peanuts/nuts of any kind are good. Limit fruit juices, they are packed with sugar. Stay away from sugary sodas, drinks etc...those will kill your diet right there. If you must have one, like your Frappachino , then make it a small and only like once a week. I know that sucks but eh....if you wanna lose it you have to lose something else first, and it's usually our sinful indulgences! ...well, at least not as much as before :P