25 lbs. lighter and no one has noticed

Options
Soooo I've lost almost 25 lbs. and no one has really noticed. People I haven't seen since before I started weight haven't noticed. People I see every day haven't notice. It's discouraging. I have a lot of weight to lose but I thought 25 lbs. would be more noticeable.

Replies

• PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and weight loss isn't as noticeable on tall women (usually).
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It's also possible that people do notice but aren't sure how to gracefully say anything because they don't want to imply that they thought you looked bad before.
  • LilyMammoth
    LilyMammoth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'10". That could be part of it.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Soooo I've lost almost 25 lbs. and no one has really noticed. People I haven't seen since before I started weight haven't noticed. People I see every day haven't notice. It's discouraging. I have a lot of weight to lose but I thought 25 lbs. would be more noticeable.

I've lost 11% of my body weight (21 pounds) since the beginning of the year and nobody has noticed or made a comment. And yes, part of that is being tall in my case.

Hang in there and remember you are doing it for yourself. The most important person that should notice is you. ;-)
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    People don't comment on weight loss because they either:

A) Don't care (We often like to think other people think about us more than they actually do)
    B) Don't want to bring up weight loss because it is a touchy subject
    C) They are annoyed with their own weight and rather not talk about yours.
  • Jenny8511
    Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'0 and I've lost 31 pounds in 4 months and only 2 people have said anything. They both knew I was losing weight, so they said it to be nice i'm sure! I really think people don't say anything because they don't want to hurt my feelings just incase I didn't lose weight, or if I lost weight because I'm sick or something. Some people are very sensitive about their weight. Stick with it, someone will say something eventually :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and I dont think people really noticed unless they had not seen me for a while. I started getting more comments around the 40lb mark...and just recently if I see someone I have not seen in a while, they notice. (now 65lbs down)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It's also possible that people do notice but aren't sure how to gracefully say anything because they don't want to imply that they thought you looked bad before.

This is very likely. There are lots of threads here ranting about how a comment that was probably meant to say "hey, I see you've lost weight, good job" was taken in a way that was insulting somehow. So a lot of people are afraid of saying anything.

Can't win sometimes. :cry: :wink:
  • Jessie_Claire
    Jessie_Claire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, uconnwinsnc has some excellent points but I just wanted to remind you that while looking great for others is important to all of us, the health benefits from losing weight and having an active lifestyle are just as and if not more important :)

I definitely understand it might be frustrating but your main goal is to lose weight and you are achieving an amazing thing which many others don't have the willpower to do! :)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it for yourself or other people?
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    People don't comment on weight loss because they either:

A) Don't care (We often like to think other people think about us more than they actually do)
    B) Don't want to bring up weight loss because it is a touchy subject
    C) They are annoyed with their own weight and rather not talk about yours.

THIS ^^^^
    And also realize why you are doing this, for yourself, should not really matter if anyone else notices or comments. :flowerforyou:
    I'm 5' 5.5" and had a lot to lose....it wasn't really noticeable till I lost probably 35-40 lbs or so. Took forever to go down a pants size as well.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Very few people commented on my weight loss until I posted progress pics on my Facebook page - unless people know you are actively working on weight loss I think they tend not to comment in case it is a touchy subject

Question is do YOU notice ?
  • Fittykitty11
    Fittykitty11 Posts: 124
    Options
    I actually don't like when people have asked if I have lost weight as then I automatically assume that I must have looked like I needed to lose weight before.

That's just me.

And because of people like me, others tend to shy away from commenting on other's weight loss in fear of offending somehow.

Weight gain and loss can be such a sensitive subject.

Surely people have noticed 25 pounds loss. But ya know what? Do it for you, not them. If YOU notice the loss then that is an automatic WIN in my book :)
  • WanaBMom
    WanaBMom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing new clothes? That always gets their attention. Make sure they fit!
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    First and most importantly, congratulations! That is an excellent achievement. When I first started at 362 pounds a year ago, no one noticed any difference until I dropped close to 40 lbs and I'm 6'4". Remember, you aren't doing this to get noticed or for reinforcement from anyone. You're doing this so you can live a long, healthy life. There will come a time when people will notice and it will feel good but you are on this journey for you.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Same. 25 down, nobody can tell.

Seriously fat, I am. lol.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The bigger you are, the more you have to lose before people will notice. My sister is 5'3", started at 230 & is down to 195; I can just now barely tell a difference.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that "30" is the magic number. I know it sounds weird, but I've heard this same thing from a lot of people.
    For me personally, as soon as I hit the 30 lbs lost mark it was like everyone noticed.

Hang in there.

Some people might have noticed already and just haven't mentioned it yet....because weight is such a touchy subject for some.

You're doing great.
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Most people have probably noticed and just not said anything due to weight loss being so sensitive an issue. Do this... get picture from your highest weight and compare to current. If you dont have pictures to do this get them. I had a hard time seeing it.. heck still do for myself in a mirror. However when doing a side by side comparison it is blatantly obvious.

Keep up the great work!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Have you taken before-and-after shots? Even if other people don't notice, you might see it better if it's photographed and compared side by side. I didn't think I'd lost anything until I saw a comparison - I was absolutely stunned.