Women Lifters

Options
bremca28
bremca28 Posts: 21 Member
I am curious what the women who now love to lift started with? Did any of you start with a program? If so what is it and what would you reccomend. I started last year with weights. I do cardio also but I feel like I would make more gains and better progress in the right direction following a plan. something I can do at home is fine, I have a smith machine, free bar and weights, kettlebells, dumbells and a huge yard LOL whats your plan that gets you a more leaned out body! Thaks for your input ladies :) or men I guess

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I started with cardio and weights. When I first joined a gym, I got a free training session and used that program forever. I also read articles, found new workouts to try. Running, Stairs, Yoga, Rollerderby, Volleyball, kettlebell, free weights, machines, whatever

I still do both cardio and atrength. I don't think any particular program is most effective. So long as you do both cardio and strength training and challenge yourself- and most importantly Stick With It- you will be fit.

Jump rope would be great cardio for you to do at home. Very tough workout.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5 because I have a horrible attention span and it's easy to follow. This is a great summary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary I started with dumbbells with this program: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 Also very easy to follow.

New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength also come highly recommended.

ETA: Wendlers 5/3/1 is also a great program: http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

Pick the one that's easiest for you to follow and adhere to as that's the most important aspect.
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bremca28
    Options
    carrious- thanks thats what i do now but it al seems pretty random ya know?
    babba_helly- have you done Wendlers? I have read a little on it not much..was actually thinking about that!
  • bremca28
    Options
    I wanna see more defintion in my legs and belly dang it all LOL
    bodybuilding.com is amazing for tons of articles, I try to get info from everywhere to be the best informed :)
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    carrious- thanks thats what i do now but it al seems pretty random ya know?
    babba_helly- have you done Wendlers? I have read a little on it not much..was actually thinking about that!

I have not because, again like I said, I have a horrendous attention span and like just having to do 3 main lifts. But I know a couple people who absolutely love it. It's really not as complicated as it seems and I think there a few people who have cool excel spreadsheets to help with it as well, I'm sure someone can post a link/offer to PM you one.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I started with NROL4W. I was working with mostly dumbbells, and it was easy to accommodate that.

I switched to stronglifts 5x5 once I invested in a bench and weights.

Now I'm almost 2 years in and doing 5/3/1.

I would recommend starting with strong lifts or starting strength to build up your base before switching to 5/3/1 though.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of SL 5x5, new rules for lifting and some other added stuff.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I like to lift my wife
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Good info, thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:

Sláinte :drinker: