Need Help with a Weight Lifting Routine

Hey guys, I need some serious help coming up with a fitness routine that includes cardio (for health reasons mandated by my doctor) and strength training. I am completely out of shape, but I have successfully adhered to a running workout and taking classes at my former gym. I am not overweight, but I am the textbook definition of skinny fat -- I know I would feel much better if I could exercise 4-5 times per week.

I need help scheduling a weight lifting routine for 3 times a week; I prefer exercises like lunges and squats that engage more than one muscle group :) Any help would be really appreciated.

Replies

• april6678
    april6678 Posts: 6 Member
    I can help you (certified group trainer)- are you looking to lose weight or tone?
  • summertime_champagne
    summertime_champagne Posts: 5 Member
    Definitely looking to be toned versus losing weight. However, if I lost a little bit of weight, I wouldn't mind.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    If you have access to a barbell, I would suggest a program like Starting Strength, or Stronglifts. Both routines are 3 days a week. You can do your cardio on your non lifting days.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    You might want to take a look at this book: The New Rules of Lifting for Women (http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398). I haven't read it, but I've seen some positive comments about it.

I do what steve0820 recommended: cardio and weight lifting on alternate days. I match that with carb cycling (high carbs on lifting days, and low-carb on cardio days). I'm not evangelical about that diet approach; it's probably not for everyone, but it's working well for me. I have definitely seen a gain in lean muscle and a loss of stubborn fat around my abdomen.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Some good beginner strength programs (several of these were already mentioned):

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    Strong Curves
    all pro beginner

Pick whichever one looks like most fun. With every strength program, you should pay close attention to the progression and de-loading rules.
  • summertime_champagne
    Thanks! These all sound fantastic. Are there any online resources worth checking out?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I can help you (certified group trainer)- are you looking to lose weight or tone?

The fact you used the word "Tone" will now discount anything you say in the future or have said in the past esp in regards to being a certified group trainer...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Some good beginner strength programs (several of these were already mentioned):

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    Strong Curves
    all pro beginner

Pick whichever one looks like most fun. With every strength program, you should pay close attention to the progression and de-loading rules.

2nd this list.

I do Stronglifts and have for 9 months...3x a week and cardio/HIIT on my off days..does wonders.
  • summertime_champagne
    Thanks! This looks like a great and very manageable program for a beginner.
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Another one for Stronglifts!

I was discouraged by how easy it was at first, but it got harder and now I love it!
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    I follow SL 5X5 and love it.