Exercise-Induced Heart Arrhythmia

Options
swoffie
swoffie Posts: 11 Member
I started insanity a few days ago and I've noticed twice now that when I take my pulse right after an especially intense section, my heart beat jumps around, speeds up, slows down and skips a beat sometimes. I'm obviously going to see a doctor about it, but in the meantime, should I stop exercising? I don't want to lose any progress, but I also don't want to pass out. Has anyone else experienced this and have any tips for avoiding it without compromising on workout intensity?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to comment on whether or not to stop exercising at all. Some arrhythmias can be benign and transient, others more serious. You are correct to see your doctor if you have concerns.

Exercise is a stressor to the body, especially to an unfit body. When an unfit person starts out doing a more advanced workout than what their body is prepared for, the body can sometimes go "haywire" because it is totally unprepared for the load.

If you insist on continuing to workout while you are getting this resolved, you should choose an exercise and an exercise intensity that is more appropriate for your current level of conditioning, like walking.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Heart problems can be serious. Like one of the other posters said, it could be benign, but who knows. It's up to you if you want to stop or not, but I wouldn't risk it. I would see the doc and wouldn't proceed until I knew what exactly was going on. Insanity is a really intense work out and it can cause issues if you're not 100% healthy.

I have exercise induced anaphylaxis. I've been on the verge of passing out and am supposed to carry an epi pen. I've seen a dr, and I pretty know what's going to happen and when, but until I did, I took it easy! (It took a few times of nearly passing out, my mouth swelling, and the dizziness to kick in before I realized I needed to see a dr and that this wasn't normal :laugh: )

Starting over is not the end of the world. Especially if you haven't been doing it that long. And I've done and completed insanity, so I get it :) starting over is better than having a possible life threatening event.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't have exercise-induced heart arrhythmia, but when I am in places with super loud music, my heart will go into arrhythmia. My doctor says if that happens to leave immediately because it isn't good for my heart.
  • runfromrunto
    Options
    Please get to the RIGHT doctor this week. You need to resolve this so you can get healthier - whatever 'healthier' means for you. I have noticed over the years, any time I lose weight or work out, my heart rate randomly spikes and stays high for a while. I asked my primary care doctor about it. He looked at my risk factors (low cholesterol, low blood pressure, healthy glucose levels) and said it's nothing. So, I kept working out. This occurred randomly (sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after an hour), and happened during weightlifting, running and swimming. When my heart hit 176 and stayed there 2 hours after cooldown, I asked my doctor's associate. Same answer - nothing. Within a few months of this, my husband had a heart attack (from blockage). While he was in the hospital, I mentioned my issue to his heart doctor. He said it might just be "deconditioning" meaning my heart was not accustomed to exercise, and I'd lost a lot of weight in the last 12 months, so he also said do not worry about it. Three wrong doctors. I researched cardiac docs in my area, looked for those with athletics in their profiles. I found a practice of marathon runners. They diagnosed this as 4 separate rhythm issues (all electrical), and told me it is not life-threatening. They said keep exercising, but put me on meds and told me what risk factors to look for. The peace I've gained from knowing the true diagnosis is immeasurable, and I finished a 10K not worrying about my heart anymore.
  • runfromrunto
    Options
    ok - so to summarize, the heart is complex and there are many types and causes of rhythms. Until you see the doctor, you should probably not stress your heart. But you should get to the doc asap and get a really good opinion based on risks, stress test, echo, etc. so you can go, go, go meet those goals. :o)
  • TheFatLadyDances
    TheFatLadyDances Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't have problems with my heart, but I have exercise-induced asthma. I've learned that I am better off listening to my body and NOT over-exercising, because once I become asthmatic, I start having to work extremely hard to produce the same results. I feel like I'm exercising really hard, but in fact, I am slowing down, using lighter weights, and burning many fewer calories. My body responds by adding weight. It really sucks. It's like one of those dreams where you run and run but can't get anywhere. Also, my doctor has convinced me that I need to bring the asthma under control now in order to avoid chronic COPD and oxygen. So I've been religiously getting allergy shots every other week, doubling up on inhaled steroids, using nasal rinses, using my inhaler, and choosing exercise that does not cause me to develop asthma and chronic bronchitis. I am far more energetic and alert as a result. I can hike and jazzercise but I can't run up hills or perform African Dance! But who knows? The more I respect my body's limits, the more I find I'm actually able to do consistently over time, and the more energetic I grow. Maybe one of these days I can run up hills again!
  • TheFatLadyDances
    TheFatLadyDances Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    And, while I've been consulting an allergist a long time for ashtma related problems, I did not really learn how to control it till I went to a pulmonologist. The allergist told me to double up on the steroids for two weeks. The pulmonologist told me to do it for six months, He also gave me a lot of other tips (like showering to remove pollen at night). So going to a doctor who specializes in the problem can really help.
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    See your primary care doc as soon as possible - please don't delay. MFP isn't the place to get medical advice.