Is the net calorie thing correct?

Options
My net calorie number is 1560. I burned 539 calories during spinning today.. Does that mean I can eat 539 more calories? I also did 3 circuits of strength training.

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what it means.
  • Harrison423
    Harrison423 Posts: 32
    Options
    I use this spinner: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/1301718-is-the-net-calorie-thing-correct

It counts the calories as I go. It took me 35 minutes on strength training (while following a video) to burn 539 calories. Do you think this is accurate?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Did you pick 1 lb weekly goal loss?
    I'll base numbers as if you did, but really the wise reasonable selection with only 10 lbs to go would be 1/2 lb weekly.

BMR - 1648
    Sedentary non-exercise activity level creates maintenance of - 2060
    1 lb weekly weight loss is 500 cal deficit.
    2060 - 500 = 1560

That is for non-exercise days.

You exercise 539 calories in spin class and circuit training.
    Your maintenance is actually now 2060 + 539 = 2599 with exercise included.

2599 - 500 = 2099 eating goal

So exercise or not, you are keeping the deficit daily for getting the weekly goal.

So don't imagine that bigger is better, it'll setup a fight with body to actually lose fat, and you'll likely miss what the math says could be lost anyway.

Besides, that 539 burned is strictly for mechanical movement, there is also repair and recovery energy spent beyond the workout.

Want to get stronger and have body improvements from the exercise?
    Why else do it, right?

Don't create a bigger deficit - it'll make it harder to get those improvements.

And that's why you should be on 1/2 lb weekly loss goal with only 10 lbs to lose. So you can get the best body improvements from your exercise, especially the strength training.

That being explained, where did you get the estimate of calories burned?

If MFP, was the entire time you said Spin bike actually really the intense session, or did it include 15 minutes of warm-up and cooldown and stretching?
    Did you log Circuit training (you should), but was that time really moving from lift to lift, or did you have to wait 5 minutes multiple times to use equipment, or for talking to someone for a long time.
    Be honest with the time, and the database estimates can be really close, actually for many they are low. For many they claim inflated, but since they aren't comparing to anything they really can know the accuracy of, just base your estimates on results after a couple weeks.

Also need to weigh all your foods, with such a minor deficit, less room for error.
  • Harrison423
    Options
    All I know was is that from April 26- May 18, I had lost 2.5 lbs of body fat, gained 1.4 lbs of lean mass and lost 2 percent body fat according to the in body machine.

I started working out 6x a week on April 21, hoping on losing at least 8 lbs of fat by june 22. I have increased my cardio, kept my strength training the same and have improved my eating habits.

As of last sunday (9, well 10 days ago now), my BMR was 1325.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend eating back more than 1/2 your exercise calories due to underestimation in calories eaten and overestimation in calorie burned. But eating back some is good especially if you burn a lot of calories.
  • heybales
    Options
    All I know was is that from April 26- May 18, I had lost 2.5 lbs of body fat, gained 1.4 lbs of lean mass and lost 2 percent body fat according to the in body machine.

I started working out 6x a week on April 21, hoping on losing at least 8 lbs of fat by june 22. I have increased my cardio, kept my strength training the same and have improved my eating habits.

Considering those BIA scales are at best 5% accurate, your figures aren't going to be that accurate.

So when you lost that much weight, does that match of with the deficit you were supposedly creating?

Let's trust the 2.5 lbs of fat lost, so a loss of 2.5 x 3500 = 8750 total deficit over 23 days = 380 cal deficit on average daily.

Does that sound about right, or did you think you were getting 1 lb weekly loss?

If it doesn't, then the math is off somewhere, and if you think making it bigger will help with so little to lose, it'll backfire on you at this point.

And BMR is based on?
  • Harrison423
    Options
    My net calories is 1560.
    I probably ate around 1900.

non fat frozen yogurt (12 a cup) with 5 oatmeal cookie dough pieces, 2 cocoa covered pretzels, California chicken salad from Hack Astors, edamame appetizer from jack actors, chocolate smoothie from starbucks (it's healthy), yogurt with a banana, hemp seeds and chia seeds.,
  • Harrison423
    Options
    sounds right! so what does that mean? April 26 are the two days I was measured.
  • Recoveringslacker
    Options
    Thanks for posting the question & reply. I'm new on here & have been confused
    with net calories, calorie intake & calories burned since I started my workouts,
    thanks for the breakdown.
  • heybales
    Options
    sounds right! so what does that mean? April 26 are the two days I was measured.

Without hitting the Quote link, have no idea what the context of your question is. You can trim out to only what you are responding to, but need something.