New. Totally blowing it.

Options
Hi - been working out about two weeks - seen the weight packing on and have done nothing until recently. I am only 129 pounds but it's been a pound here, a pound there and I'm realizing that I'm about 20 pounds over what I should be to look good. (I'm not a good size 10, I am more a size 4 to look great. All the weight goes on my tummy and my face.)

I'm good all day but dinner comes around and I start cooking. And I have a pita chip here, a glass of wine there, a few pretzels, somes tastes of what's for dinner while I'm cooking (to make sure everything is coming along fine) etc etc etc. Then of course I have another glass of wine when dinner is served.

Can someone tell me how to curb the snacking while I'm preparing dinner??? Because I am eating well throughout the day - only allowed 1200 calories for the day and I can't seem to figure out how to not chew someone's arm off in order to lose weight.

I am doing cardio for about 50 minutes a day but have yet to find someone to help me do the weights (been looking for the trainer at the gym...he always seems to be on break when I need him and floating around when I don't).

Any advice would be wonderful.

Thank you,
Melissa

Replies

• clothes_of_sand
    Options
    Carrots. Eat carrots while you cook. Or celery or something similar if you like that better. Vegetables are great go-to snacks because they're incredibly low calorie (if you eat them plain). Or, you could try chewing toothpicks or chewing gum while you cook.
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Okay, for gawd's sake, make an appointment with the trainer and let them know you are freaking serious.

I know about the snacking thing with dinner. DON"T do IT!!!! I can't believe how many calories I was consuming tasting stuff, cleaning someone else's plate, a couple more bites when I'm putting it away. When you feel strong one night every time you think of taking a bite put a bite on the spoon and empty the spoonful onto a plate. Do that over and over again as you would normally take a bite and see how much food is on that plate when you are done. It's amazing!!

Now for the wine, I don't know what to tell you. I am decorating my kitchen with homemade cork valances if that gives you a clue. I LOVE WINE. If you are drinking white, it's not so bad, but log it. If you are drinking red, try a shiraz or even better, a pinot. The merlots and wines with berry flavors are higher in calories. But hey, wine is a gift from God. :)

I love cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!!!

Good eating and drinking to you. Take charge. You are in control. You are not blowing it; you are making the choice to eat/drink. Choose the results you want. (Man that's easy to say to someone else hahahaha; but good for me to hear me saying it to someone else.) Thanks for the opportunity.
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    keep encouraged
  • slansdown
    Options
    I heard.... gum. Sugar free -- mint gum. Then you won't snack.
  • rafaelwall
    Options
    Wait, so you are exercising AND eating just 1200 calories?

If that's the case, you must eat back the calories you burn, so the net calories at the end of the day is 1200. Less than that is far from healthy.

Say you burn 300 calories in daily exercise. That means you can eat 1500 calories (1200 + 300). If you don't do this, that is, if you only eat 1200 calories, your body will have received 900 calories in total (not good).

Please disregard this message if you're already doing it.
  • macw1_2000
    macw1_2000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm eating the 1200 and with exercise it's give me what it i get from the calories burned. However, I pack on the major stuff at night to the point where i can't even log it because I don't konw what one chip is or one bite is. Or I put on my plate what the "serving is" and then i don't eat it and chuck it.
  • macw1_2000
    Options
    Ah...you totally know what I'm dealing with then! A taste here, a taste there. A glass of wine. (my kids bought me the apron that says I cook with wine...and sometimes I even put it in the food...")

Thank you for the advice....you're honest and you're funny!
  • macw1_2000
    Options
    Ah...you totally know what I'm dealing with then! A taste here, a taste there. A glass of wine. (my kids bought me the apron that says I cook with wine...and sometimes I even put it in the food...")

Thank you for the advice....you're honest and you're funny!