New here...how to commit??

Options
vayax
vayax Posts: 152 Member
Hi everyone...I'm brand new here!

I have to lose 10lbs, which I'm sure some people will think it's nothing, but for me, losing it is easy, but keeping it off is a completely different story!

I have reached my weight goal before, but soon after I stop exercising and go back to eating not as before, but not ideal either. I am super lazy in regards to exercising and I hate routines....I start doing something which at the beginning I love, and VERY soon after I get bored and stop doing it....

Let's say I have commitment issues with eating well (mostly portion control) and exercising. I need to commit! I know it!....but I need help!

So, how do you do it? How do you stick to eating well and exercising? Help me!

Thank you very very much!

Replies

• rafaelwall
    Options
    The trick is to find healthy food that's also delicious.

For example, I used to hate veggies, but mixed greens combines with some light cheese and reduced fat mayo does the trick. Pretzel sticks with reduced fat mayo also make a good snack.

There must be something out there that it's healthy and you can find blissfully delicious.
  • anthonyrobinson87
    Options
    Hello back,
    I am also in the business of trying to lose some weight. I can tell you that i am in the same bucket as you with getting bored with workouts. I choose to do work out plans that change things up everyday. Try crossfit for example. Crossfit changes thing up everyday and you never know until that day what the workout is (most are about 20-30 minutes) or if it is a rest day. There are many work out programs out there that follow that concept. do some research and find one that keeps you guessing. I also struggle with the eating side of the house; i think everyone does. The way that i get around that is by treating myself once a week. I do not go over my calorie goal but i will skip lunch if i want to have something else. Every meal is just a decision that you make every time that you will pick the items that are good for your body not good for your taste buds. you get hungry, eat the healthy choice, and the hunger goes away. Just make the decision every meal. And let yourself be surprised when you find out the workout of the day. Keep it up

-Anthony
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Couple big things...if you want to keep the weight off, it is not just about exercising and eating properly WHILE you are losing the weight, but finding ways to change and adapt your lifestyle to maintain your preferred weight as well.

Normal exercise bores you? Find something you like doing that is active! Winter sports when the season is right - try out rock climbing or something a little out of the ordinary. - if nothing else take yyourself for some urban hikes if you live in or near a city - or wander the countryside if you are more rural. Not all fitness has to be in a gym on a machine that makes you want to eat your towel after fifteen minutes out of sheer boredom. (For the days that some gym work does seem required, one of my mates swears by books on tape/dvd/ipod...keeps him interested in something while he is working out.)

Food that is both tasty and healthy is HUGE - if it tastes like sawdust/crap you aren't going to stick to it because it sucks! Figure out what things that fall into the 'healthy' category that you enjoy and capitalize on that! (I am not saying you cannot have the other things - just in moderation. ^_^) And for a while, though it is a drag...measure EVERYTHING you eat. ALL of it. Do this for a while and you will begin to be able to see portions without the measuring cup. Accuracy is best, but having a really good idea of how much you are truly putting on your plate is a massive thing! As a culture we are so accustomed to ginormous portions it is incredible!

Another big thing for me was knowing/finding someone to help keep me honest. One of my friends introduced me to the site, so I started out with at least one person likely to ask those 'So, how are you going with the goals?' kinds of questions. For me, being accountable to someone else has been a big help (even my digital friends!) ...because I don't like saying I am going to do something and then failing.

Find what motivates you and use that to help. You have a pair of skinny jeans that you love? Think about them before you decide what you are going to eat! (For one random example!) ...and like Anthony said in an earlier post, 'Every meal is a desicion that you make.'

Ultimately you are the boss of what happens, and MFP is an awesome tool to help!

^_^
  • vayax
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the tips.... I do know I need to keep good habits for ever, not just while lossing weight...that's my problem! I stick to it for a while and then get lost somewhere in the journey!

I hate the gym, that's why I have tried other outdoor sports....again is the routine that kills me...indoor or outdoor sonner than later I get bored.

I live in Costa Rica so it rains around 7 months a year (with electric thunderstorms most of the time) so ir is hard to be outside...but summer is starting soon so I'll take advantage of it. I'll also try the Crossfit and see how it goes....

thanks again guys!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    WELCOME! I'm also 10lbs from goal and totally relate.

I stick with it by eating foods I love. If it doesn't make me happy and doesn't make me feel good, I won't eat it. Healthy food doesn't have to be bland or boring. Just find what works for you and when you get bored, change it up.

I have this same philosophy on moving my body. I only do things I love and do something different every day. When I first started on this journey, I had no idea what I loved, so I reached back into my childhood for inspiration. My workouts are based on activities I loved as a kid that NEVER felt like work (roller skating, ice skating, dance class, swimming, riding my bike). Have FUN and you'll never have a problem 'finding' the motivation to work out (when I bought my bike in 2009, I couldn't SLEEP the night before a ride and would wake up at 6am DESPERATE to get out on the bike path).

You love to do something. You probably love to do a lot of somethings. Remember what they are and rotate.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • vayax
    Options
    Charmagne I'm with you! I know if I control the portions that I eat I can eat whatever I want.... I just need to learn to control the portion size.... I read your post about stopping to check in....I'll practice that for sure!!