Watchng Sodium? Beware of Sushi!!!

Options
Seems like MFP gives me a new revelation each day. I thought I did well with my diet today, until I looked at my figures and say I consumed over 5000 milligrams of sodium. As many of us know sodium leads to water retention and therefore bloating and higher weights on the scale, so I am watching it along with my calories and macronutrients. The culprit was the what I though healthy sushi meal I had. California Rolls: 1,180 mg/ 1 tbsp soy sauce 920 mg/ seaweed salad 1581 mg. Crazy almost 300 mg in one very modest and otherwise healthy meal. Anybody got any low sodium recommendations for sushi. Definitely want to opt for the green bottle at a restaurant for soy sauce, but when you buy it in the store they just give you the regular sodium packets. May want to buy some low sodium in a bottle for the office fridge.

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'd skip the soy sauce and seaweed salad, and just eat the sushi as is (that's what I do anyway)
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    its the soy sauce Im a big sushi fan and we have sushi at least once a week if not more and i skip on the soy sauce and just add more ginger to what im having! 1 tablespoon of soy sauce can have more then 900mg of sodium in it and if you have a roll i bet your using more then 1 tablespoon since the rice sucks up so much soy sauce!! Have you tried the rolls that are wrapped in cucumber instead of rice YUM!!!! They are so good and refreshing
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks goodness for fish allergies! :P
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Try sashimi. Avoid the prepared sushi rice. Try moderation.

I love sushi. I eat sushi or sashimi at least weekly. Usually many times during the week. Not giving it up. I don't care if they prove it was the demise of the unicorn. You can stop me from eating sushi when you pry my chopsticks from my cold dead fingers.