Working Out while on holiday

Options
So, I'll be going away on vacation (Greece) with my parents this summer.

Only, I've never actually gone away during a time where I was regularly working out, and I'm afraid I'll end up spending the three weeks just laying about doing nothing.

My parents aren't particular sporty (my dad does play volleyball, but I probably couldn't convince him to do that the amount I would need to keep up my regular work out schedule.)

Does any of you have any experience working out while abroad?

I'd like for it not to take too much away from my vacation, after all I'm there to enjoy the sun and experience the culture, and I'd like to spend time with my family as well.

Any advice?

Replies

• awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, good question as i've been thinking exactly the same.

A few years ago i was training for a half marathon and was doing really well that i didn't not want to continue with it while i was on holiday for 2 weeks in Turkey. I took my running shoes and kit to prove to myself i was going to go out running most mornings, early on before the sun was too hot. The first time i did it i was absolutely exhausted. A 30 minute run (when i say run i really mean jog) took me well over an hour to recover from. I had to lie in the bedroom with the aircon on full just to cool me down! I never went out running again until i got home.

This year i'm going to partake in some aqua fit even if i have to make up a routine myself in the pool. Or, i'll get a lilo and practice trying to get on that every day in the pool, that should use up some energy!
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am sure you could get some walking in and possibly swimming? I am going on a city break with friends in a few weeks and I plan on doing a lot of walking and amsogoing to do some push ups and planks etc. I refuse to stop my progress!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when we went away to Spain I jogged every other morning at 7.30/8am and swam as much as I could through each day plus walking. I didnt gain any weight in the week I was away and ate what I wanted (within moderation).

I also went on holiday with my mum and dad and boyfriend. Boyfriend did jog a couple of times with me though but I didnt enjoy it as he was too fast!
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well I defo am working out whilst way as I'm in a years holiday in Sydney.

But if it was a week or 2 weeks I'd try and get some exercise in like a full body workout at home but prob wouldn't go to the gym.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I went to Africa in January, I took some short HIIT workouts with me (12 minutes long) with the intention of doubling some up. I was there for 10 days and did it twice lol - the rest of the time, i went out and ran for 30 minutes. It was so hard as it was too hot and the air was thin. Luckily my sis in law did it with me as she is used to that weather. I didnt lose any weight that week, but i didnt gain any either and when I came home, I had improved my time as it was easier to run at home!! I was well chuffed!!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If it were me I'd go with the flow and enjoy the break, and you're bound to be doing a lot of walking about sightseeing and swimming anyway. However, you could also:

- take your running shoes and squeeze in a morning run before it gets too hot
    - put together a bodyweight programme eg squats, burpees, press-ups etc to do in your hotel room
    - grab any opportunities to do something a bit different like waterskiing or windsurfing if that's a possibility

Enjoy your holiday!
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I use to find place with gyms, but a week in I always say stuff this I'm on holidays. I just try to do active things, and try to eat not too bad.
  • SarahNicoleW94
    Options
    im going away next Friday & just plan to swim loads!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    walking, swimming or
    if you want a structured workout go to fitness blender.com and write down some workouts. Most of the videos have the detailed plan written out below. enjoy your hols
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I went on a beach vacation in March. I ran on the beach every other day (5-7 miles), walked a lot, often carrying my 4 y.o. and treaded water for hours in the pool everyday. If I wasn't with the kid, I would have added some body weight training in the hotel, pushups, squats, lunges, triceps dips, planks, mountain climbers, burpees, etc.

Also I always try to get a decent hike in when I'm on vacation. Nothing like hiking in a new place!