Salt

Options
I am craving salt all the time. Does anyone know what can possibly be causing this. I drink at least 1 gallon of water per day. Could this be a reason.

Sharon

Replies

• sharon3541
    sharon3541 Posts: 29
    Options
    I am craving salt all the time. Does anyone know what can possibly be causing this. I drink at least 1 gallon of water per day. Could this be a reason.

Sharon
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why this happens, I have the same issue. Ever since increasing my workouts and being more food concious I have been craving salty foods all the time. I used to be a sugar addict, and while I still enjoy a sweet treat here and there, I mostly crave pretzels and chips, hmm I guess it's salty carbs that I want. (I do manage to keep my sodium in check (under 3000) most days.) Anyone have an explanination?
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    electrolyte imbalance. Especially if you are working out very hard and it is warm where you are and you have made a drastic diet change.
  • sharon3541
    Options
    fox fire that could be. I work out very hard in the a.m and I do live in Florida. Maybe I should just drink gatorade to boost the electrolytes.

Thanks
  • foxfire9372
    Options
    Watch the cals in gatorade. They mount up.
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea... the electrolyte thing sounds about right. I think I eat too much sodium... maybe I should start tracking it.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Watch the cals in gatorade. They mount up.
    There is a new reduced calorie gatorade too, but I'm not sure if that means it has fake sweetener, I should check that out. Also I find that gatorade is very sugary sweet, so I actually like to add water. 4oz water to 4oz gatorade for about 30 calories. Maybe I'll try having this more often when I workout.
  • foxfire9372
    Options
    Just a reminder. When you are craving things, most of the time it is because of a defiency. They always tell all moms to be to let there OB know if they start craving dirt, etc. Obviously if you are craving a twinkie thats a head thing, but craving protein, carbs, salt, etc can indicate the body is not getting enough of them.
  • sharon3541
    Options
    foxfire

I will let you know I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow not for this reason, but I will ask him what he thinks. I will update on Friday

Sharon
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I really like Propel... not sure about the sodium or artificial sweetner content. It has a lot of B Vitamins that really give me an energy boost.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    my guess is due to the sweat loss, the electrolytes and loss of iodine which are all vital nutrients/mico and macro nutrients. I try to avoid salt because I have borderline hypertension, but get my required 1200 millies a day....I also heard it is a learned addiction, not inbred like sugar(breast milk is sweet to make a baby eat it...)
  • foxfire9372
    Options
    o.k. Propel is another good one which I like especially when it gets warm and I am working hard. Dr. will tell you better what may be going on. Isn't that why they get paid the big bucks??
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options

Sharon

You might actually have a low sodium content in your body. Sometimes drinking too much water can be as bad as drinking too little. Both of which can offset your electrolytes. Maybe the salt is not being obsorbed because of all the water in take? Salt follows water. What are you eating? Are you on a diuretic? There could be many things at play here. It's hard to say.