Weight Watchers Vs Calorie Control

Options
2»

Replies

• lilymae71
    lilymae71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was a lifetimer with WW since 1985. Yeah.

In 2009, I stopped going and started using VARIOUS online services and apps, some I liked better than others. I ended up with MFP and have stayed.

Healthy living is a big experiment. I was told from the 1980s that whole grains and vegetarian lifestyle would best help me control my already evident genetic cardiovascular issues. A few years ago, I switched to Autoimmune Protocol and went from needing meds (for CVD) to having PERFECT blood panels. Who knew? Heck, I did it for my lupus but ended up fixing my other thing (so far, 3 years and counting, touch wood!).

Unfortunately, I'm not somebody who can just eat healthy food. I can gluttonise anything, anywhere, so I continue to track food. It's also a MASSIVE plus the last few years with MFP because I can whip out and share with my doctor EVERYTHING I've been eating when a malabsorption issue comes up, like anemia, for example. 'You're not getting enough iron.' Then I can show exactly how much I am getting.

You don't get that with WW. I continue to try new things and keep as healthy as possible whether I'm a size 2 or a size 10.
  • kaylainky
    kaylainky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had great success with WW but I do prefer MFP because it is free.
  • kaylainky
    kaylainky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To me a banana is not free. It is too calorie dense, high in carbs and sugar. How can it be free? I liked WW years ago, but think now they really messed up a good thing. I much prefer MFP, and the fact that it is also free of charge is an added bonus!!!

Our WW leader told us this when everyone had concerns about bananas being "free", she would say, "nobody ever got fat from eating too many bananas!!", that always stuck with me because it is true!!
  • lilyrosieposie3
    lilyrosieposie3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have done weightwatchers for years, and I like the fact that fruit can be eaten throughout the day within reason. I am finding on mfp I use all my calories, but am not eating the required 5 portions of fruit and veg a day.
    I decided to try my fitness pal because my weight loss stalled on weightwatchers, and I needed something to get my weight loss moving again.
    I still seem to be eating the same healthy foods I was eating on the filling and healthy weight watcher plan. I hope this helps
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I did WW for years, did OK but wasn't losing that much.Checked on here and found out just how many calories I'd been consuming in 'free' fruit! Not saying it doesn't work, just that I wasn't good at it.

Also they push their products so much, and if you want to work out PPoints in stuff you need to buy their books, calculators etc whereas almost anything you can buy already has calorie counts on it.

Then I found out they were a NY stock exchange company, and wasn't too pleased about shareholders profiting from my weight problems!

Furthermore, MFP is free, so I'm saving a lot of money.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I have done both and both are very good programs. I have lost weight on both and kept it off. Both programs focus on calorie deficiency but in different ways. One count points while the other count calories. Both teach about the scientific facts about weight loss, behavior change, exercise, and weight management. I still use the free stuff from WW like their Science Center, recipes, and exercise videos.

It also depends on where you are in life. When I started WW, I worked full time with mandatory over time, manage a house, attended college, while raising two children. I wanted a healthy, simple, common sense method to lose weight. I was not interested in counting calories, weighing food, or calculating macros. It was important but not my top priority. Fast forward some years, my life isn’t as busy. Now, I have more time to invest in my journey of weight management. I switched to MFP, not because I wasn’t still learning from WW,because it is free.

At the end of the day, the best program for you will be the one that you will be able to stick to in order to achieve your goal of losing weight and keeping if off.
  • Catherinemusic
    Options
    Hi, I recently did Weight Watchers for 8 months and only lost a total of 3 lbs..I even exercised an hour a day and lifted weights 3x a week. In addition, I went to weekly meetings, tracked everything, and drank lots of water. I only had 20 lbs. to lose, but I felt defeated. I was worried there was something wrong with my body and I wasn't capable of losing weight. In retrospect, the reason WW didn't work for me, was because the plan says that fruits and vegetables are 0 points. Maybe that works for some people, but I'm convinced that was the reason I didn't do well on the WW plan. I would eat 1-3 bananas a day and a couple of salads and wasn't suppose to count any of that. With myfitnesspal, I've lost 8 lbs. in 2 months. Anyway, I know WW works for people that have a lot of weight to lose, but I also know people who have a lot of weight to lose do well on myfitnesspal. I am thankful for the time I had at WW, because the meetings helped me realize a lot of things I hadn't thought about. I began taking habits more seriously and changing things thanks to the meetings. I know that when I reach my fitness goal, that I'll continue to track, or I'll gain it all back - I learned that from some of the people at WW. Getting the last 20 lbs. off has been hard for me, and myfitnesspal has been my road to success. I'm so happy with my progress.
  • agman90
    agman90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers 3 seperate times. Lost around 20 each time.......and promptly gained 20+ each time. I found that even if something was low on points, I would have been better off eating something a little higher in points that would be healthier for me.

for me, it's all about the accountability. What I like about MFP and calorie counting, is that I can adjust for what works for me and my body. Some people have great success with Weight Watchers, others with other diet systems, some with surgery and some with exercise and diet with or with out suppliments. MFP encompasses them all and everyone can find some support and/or accountability without having to feel they are failing the system.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60 pounds on Weight Watchers before completely stalling out. I don't blame WW for the plateau, but I found that counting calories has helped break my plateau for a few reasons:

1. I was eating A LOT of fruit and veggies in addition to eating nearly all my WW points. Though fruits and veggies are 0 points, they still have calories. So I was probably eating well over my weight loss calorie goal even though I was still within my points.

2. Exercise isn't a big focus with WW and I workout a lot -- training for a half marathon, running a half marathon, cycling upwards of 20 miles at a time and strength/circuit training. MFP has a better system for tracking exercise and eating some of the calories back bust still saying at a net goal.

3. WW didn't allow me to track carbs, protein and fat in an easy way, so I have no idea if I was eating a balanced diet.

I think WW is a great tool to start with to learn how to eat better foods and incorporate more fruits and veggies, but I've found that MFP is better for someone who understands calories and nutrition and who works out a lot.

^^This exactly. (Well, except the half marathon part; I'm lucky to get in 6 miles a week.)

I lost a good bit on WW last year but then when I stalled, I was lost. Their point system is proprietary and counter-intuitive, so when I hit my plateau I couldn't figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. I was at the mercy of the point system, and of the "experts" who work at the WW center. Boy, that's a joke! They have no clue and all they do is parrot the same tired old lines we've already heard. On week 3 or 4 of my stall, one of them asked me if I was getting 2 daily servings of dairy. Not being a huge dairy fan I said no, usually just 1. So she immediately stated that was the sole reason I wasn't losing anymore. I NEEDED 2 servings of dairy every day, just like their "Good Health Guidelines" suggest. I think that was the day I finally quit.

With MFP, YOU are in control of your calories and all the other macros, mircros, whatever you want to track. Yes, that's intimidating but it's also very empowering and ultimately the best way to be successful. In some ways I liked having someone else tell me what and how much to eat, but in the end I think I always knew that I needed to take full control of the reins if I am to reach my goals.
  • miceyl
    miceyl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am going to echo what many have said prior. I joined WW after my first son when I was at my heaviest and lost 30 lbs. This was almost 20 years ago. I think it was a good plan for beginners and taught me a lot about food. However, I have rejoined 3-4 times over the years and each time I found it to be harder to follow. They became more about marketing gadgets, books and food products (full of artificial ingredients) than anything. If you like to prepare your own food (as I do) it was hard to figure out points and was just too much work. Also, the leaders really vary. My first one was so inspirational and took the time to "counsel" me. Over the years I had good and bad, but it could really make the difference. Here, you are pretty much accountable to yourself, so it can be harder to stick with it. However, it gives you better/more information about food (macros) and it is free! I just showed my sister the app and she is so excited about it. She is a vegetarian and always found WW didn't cater to her tastes and lifestyle. While I think WW is way better than many of the other plans out there, for people who are more informed about nutrition and food, MFP is a better tracking tool IMO.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    To me a banana is not free. It is too calorie dense, high in carbs and sugar. How can it be free? I liked WW years ago, but think now they really messed up a good thing. I much prefer MFP, and the fact that it is also free of charge is an added bonus!!!

Our WW leader told us this when everyone had concerns about bananas being "free", she would say, "nobody ever got fat from eating too many bananas!!", that always stuck with me because it is true!!

Although I get the point and agree with it for the most part, the problem with that saying is that if someone eats 12 bananas a day and a piece of cake, the cake is gonna get the bad rap and be blamed for weight gain. Cake always getting a bad rap I tell ya.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Since you are on the MFP website, you are probably going to generally get responses from people who think MFP is superior. I personally like MFP because it's free and calorie counting is easier since I've done it for so long. That being said, I think WW can be a great program for many people, especially those who are new to calorie counting.

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, I think WW gives a better framework for making healthier choices - they have "healthy checks" that encourage a set number of fruits and veggies, lean proteins, dairy choices, water intake, exercise, and even fats for the day. For people not willing/able to do the work to figure out how to eat a nutritionally balanced diet, WW is a great starting point. They do have the "free" fruits and veggies which seem to get a very bad rap, but in their program, they stress eating these to "satisfaction", not stuffing yourself with them. They even give a guide to help you know what satisfaction should feel like. Their literature also states that if you make a "recipe" with the free stuff, you should enter them in to the recipe builder and take the points count given - so, a giant fruit salad or even a salad for lunch would be a "recipe", but most people don't do this. People obviously choose to ignore this advice, but it does not make the program itself bad or flawed. People on MFP are always ignoring it's "advice" to not eat less than 1200 calories or to eat back the exercise calories or even to meet the macros but that doesn't make MFP bad or flawed either. WW could also be a better choice for those who want to go aggressive with their goals and get the 1200 MFP daily goal. On WW, even if these people were at the lowest points goal, they'd still have "extra" points for the week and also the fruits and veggies, which can help them have a more nutritionally sound diet.

In the end, which program is best will come down to personal preference. I've known many successful WW losers and maintainers. I've known successful calorie counting losers and maintainers. Most people who are successful on either program are successful because they are in the right place/frame of mind to do what it takes.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think WW is great for people just beginning their lifestyle change, portion control is a huge deal with WW. Also, for the free fruit...that doesn't mean all you can eat, the program is based on the assumption that you will eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, so those people eating 3 or 4 bananas a day are going over what is recommended as one banana is typically 2 servings.

I lost 60 pounds on WW and would always encourage people to give it a try, BUT if you are very active they really don't have a solution when you get stuck (except their active link, which costs $5 a month on top of whatever you pay for your membership AND if you quit meetings or online you can't use it). I plateaued for about 6 months and was never given an effective solution to get over it. I ended up getting frustrated and quitting, an gaining 18 pounds back before I came to MFP. I have managed to lose a little over 4 pounds in 4 weeks, so while it is going slow, at least I am dropping again.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Since you are on the MFP website, you are probably going to generally get responses from people who think MFP is superior. I personally like MFP because it's free and calorie counting is easier since I've done it for so long. That being said, I think WW can be a great program for many people, especially those who are new to calorie counting.

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, I think WW gives a better framework for making healthier choices - they have "healthy checks" that encourage a set number of fruits and veggies, lean proteins, dairy choices, water intake, exercise, and even fats for the day. For people not willing/able to do the work to figure out how to eat a nutritionally balanced diet, WW is a great starting point. They do have the "free" fruits and veggies which seem to get a very bad rap, but in their program, they stress eating these to "satisfaction", not stuffing yourself with them. They even give a guide to help you know what satisfaction should feel like. Their literature also states that if you make a "recipe" with the free stuff, you should enter them in to the recipe builder and take the points count given - so, a giant fruit salad or even a salad for lunch would be a "recipe", but most people don't do this. People obviously choose to ignore this advice, but it does not make the program itself bad or flawed. People on MFP are always ignoring it's "advice" to not eat less than 1200 calories or to eat back the exercise calories or even to meet the macros but that doesn't make MFP bad or flawed either. WW could also be a better choice for those who want to go aggressive with their goals and get the 1200 MFP daily goal. On WW, even if these people were at the lowest points goal, they'd still have "extra" points for the week and also the fruits and veggies, which can help them have a more nutritionally sound diet.

In the end, which program is best will come down to personal preference. I've known many successful WW losers and maintainers. I've known successful calorie counting losers and maintainers. Most people who are successful on either program are successful because they are in the right place/frame of mind to do what it takes.

:drinker:
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've tried both and prefer MFP. Sitting in stores calculating WW points became time consuming. Also, the foods WW+ considers to be "free" (fruits and veggies), those calories add up during the day.
  • kaustin515
    kaustin515 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow. What a great discussion. So many insightful and informative posts/opinions. Well, here's my story. I started using MFP about a year ago after seeing some pictures of myself at my son's 1st birthday party. I was disgusted and the worst part was before seeing the photos I thought I looked good. I had been signed up for MFP but didn't really use it. So I entered in some numbers, got a calorie goal and then started tracking. I tried to eat right, stay in my calories, workout etc. Long story short I lost about 23lbs with MFP but then stalled out. I sought out advice here and got a range of suggestions and I tried many with the same results. I'd loose a little and then stall out. I couldn't get it figured out. So I decided to dumb things down. I really wanted to try clean eating. I'm at an age where my health matters to me and it's do or die quite literally. But I knew a major issue for me is my weight. So after much thinking and weighing the options I decided to go to WW. I had done it several years ago and lost 25lbs and then quit. It took me 2 years but I put it all back on and then had a baby. As of this last week I have lost 20lbs with WW but still have a long way to go. But for me, making it more simple, having some predefined guidelines, helped me dumb things down enough to start losing again. I know at the end of the day that weight loss is calories in vs. calories out but I just couldn't figure it out for myself on MFP. And I will second what others have said about the "free" foods in WW. There is always a way to cheat any system. I also agree that the WW app is AWFUL. Their food database is ridiculous and it isn't very user friendly. That frustrates me some but I deal with it. I also still log in MFP to see how it all adds up in real values like calories, fat, etc. So my opinion is any program is what you make it. Sure, if I had educated myself more in regards to nutrients, macros, whatever, I could have been more successful with MFP. But I wasn't in that place. I am a busy working mom with a toddler. I need a Nick Jr. level approach to my eating for now. I plan to stay with WW but I also use common sense. I know enough to know if I disagree with something WW says and I can think for myself. But for now this works for me. Everyone has to find what works for them. And I will say that WW is expensive but costs aside, for now it was worth the investment for me. I just wish WW could take a page from MFP book and make things more user friendly. I love both programs because both have helped and continue to help me become a better me. You just find what makes you a better you ????.