how to get defined butt

Options
snivvy
snivvy Posts: 21 Member
I've incorporated squats and deadlifts into my routine for a year now. My quads and hamstrings have got stronger and more muscular but now my bum blends into my hams, making it look less defined.
This is also because I have saddlebags in that region. Do I need to clean up diet? Cut down on the squatting?
Help me get a bum to be proud of when bikini time arrives.
*pic added to my photos- bigger front and back but not the definition under bum that I set out to achieve*

Replies

• Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in response to this as I would like to know too
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Try doing Front Squats....wow talk about a difference to regular squats....

but looking at your side view pic, your booty looks good to me, so I don't really see what you are saying..

You may need to drop some calories, so get rid of some BF to achieve what you want....

But my only recommendation would be to do what you are doing now.....
    Squats, Dead lifts....maybe front squats, romanian dead lifts, or stiff legged dead lifts....

oh and lunges.....those are fun
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Sorry but Its all genetics!!!!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Are you making your routine more challenging as you've been going through the year? e.g. increasing deadlift weight - squatting with a bell bar?

I guess doing as many exercises that incorporate the butt muscles as possible will help and also cross-training and mixing things up is good and makes it a bit more interesting over time too.

I do weights routines, along with body weight and resistance band training, yoga, cycling - seriously hills do magnificent things to one's posterior....
    Just stick at it - do as much as you can. I guess nutrition probably plays a role too but I'll let someone else go into that.

My butt has been toning up quite nicely from the above recently, but I may have to resign myself to the fact that at my age, I may just have a little bit that's saggy and a bit of celulite too. :smile:
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will also try this as I have just been doing normal squats and dead lifts.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Check out the butt guru himself - Bret Contreras

http://bretcontreras.com/
  • snivvy
    Options
    Squats, Dead lifts....maybe front squats, romanian dead lifts, or stiff legged dead lifts....

Off to Google those right away.I do the deadlifts where you start and finish with *kitten* pretty low, like a frog position so stiff legged could be the one to try tonight.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    yeah squats and dealifts with progressive loading is the best way to go already. But dropping BF could work, or bulking for a while to build some muscle in that area and then dropping again.

You might also wan to look at luinges and weighted hip thrusts (those are well fun but not pretty)

or have a look at this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dangerous-curves-get-your-glutes-in-gear-with-supersets.html
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options

"Fun" is not the word I would use. However, if you haven't been doing them, lunges can change things. Unilateral movements are good for your balance, too.

The other thing I've seen people do is put their shoulders on a bench and sit on the floor with their knees bent and feet flat. They put a weight on their hips and then raise their fanny up like they're doing a bridge. There's probably a name for this, but I don't know what it is.

Edit: Weighted hip thrusts!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Off to Google those right away.I do the deadlifts where you start and finish with *kitten* pretty low, like a frog position so stiff legged could be the one to try tonight.

That is standard Dead Lift then.

The Romanian and Stiff legged will target the hammy's
    You WILL FEEL THOSE, trust me
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will need to drop body fat a bit more, but I second the Bret Contreras recommendation.

Romanian Deadlifts, Glute Bridges, Hip Thrusts are all great.

I also do cable kickbacks, adductor, and weighted step-ups.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will need to drop body fat a bit more, but I second the Bret Contreras recommendation.

OP...^^^^^^This one is an expert. *nods* true story
  • snivvy
    Options
    Are you making your routine more challenging as you've been going through the year? e.g. increasing deadlift weight - squatting with a bell bar?

I guess doing as many exercises that incorporate the butt muscles as possible will help and also cross-training and mixing things up is good

I've kind of settled at 15kg on each end of the bar for some time now cos I can only do 3reps and don't have anyone with me to save me if I bail- psychological barrier.

I do rowing and elliptical but could do more hill running for definite. Thanks for your ideas.
  • snivvy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Loads of butt knowledge for us to look into. X
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Another vote for checking out Bret and adding Hip Thrusts to your lifting routine.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Loads of butt knowledge for us to look into. X

A subject that definitely deserves further investigation
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

You're gonna want to do whatever she's ^^^^^ doing.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I second hip thrusters. Glute bridges are good too but I think you get greater range of motion with hip thrusts. I gained about half an inch on my booty doing those (eta: and squats/deadlifts of course) and eating at a slight surplus for a month.

I find squats to be quad dominant, probably because high bar is much more comfortable than low bar for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    your butt looks pretty good in your picture
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    In. Just. In.