Coconut oil

Options

Replies

• WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great! I actually use it to pop popcorn on the stove-top as well as a replacement for butter or other oils for sauteing.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yum
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like to blend 1T with my hot black coffee, it makes a creamy, foamy coconut latte. The calories are the only drawback, but it does replace creamer for me so its a win.

THAT is an excellent idea, thank you. :flowerforyou:

I definitely use it for popcorn, I think it makes the best popcorn. Otherwise, though, it goes on the body as a moisturizer or hair mask or something. Some places tout it as a natural sunscreen, but I wouldn't risk swapping out real sunscreen.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love coconut oil. I cook with it, moisturize with it and pull with it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I use it as a body moisturizer and mosquito repellent. Never tried cooking with it.

I do the same. I do not use coconut oil in cooking, because in most countries health organization ( including FDA & WHO) advise against it, due to among other things because it is so high in saturated fat. I don't bake and don't see the need to infuse my coffee with fat....so I stay away from it.

MOSQUITO REPPLLANT!?!?! MUST TRY!.

as for swallowing it, i mean you would eat a spoonful same as you wouldnt eat a spoonfull of butter or shortening. but as a cooking baking item that replaces butter it's delicious.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've used it to cook because of the higher temperatures it can withstand, but I didn't really get any flavor from it that some people seem to love. (Now I sometimes use macadamia oil, which is on the "healthy oils" list, and I like that.)

What I have found is canned coconut milk--NOT the kind in the dairy section like a substitute for drinking milk, but canned in the cooking aisle, where 1/3 of a cup is similar a Tbsp of oil for macros (at 140 calories). It has so much flavor. I add it to stir fries, my full-fat yogurt for even more fat, smoothies... pretty much anything, and it delivers more flavor and richness than the oil in my opinion.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    For someone who doesn't like the flavor of coconut - how strong is the flavor when used as a cooking oil? I have a jar in my pantry, but haven't used it at all.
  • fitnessf0x
    fitnessf0x Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use it as a body moisturizer and mosquito repellent. Never tried cooking with it.
    me too! love a bit in my hair as well
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    For someone who doesn't like the flavor of coconut - how strong is the flavor when used as a cooking oil? I have a jar in my pantry, but haven't used it at all.

The coconut flavor is not there really.
    If you get virgin, you will get the coconut scent.

If you get non-virgin, or whatever they call it, then there is no scent.

I prefer the scent.

correction..
    Refined and Unrefined.
    Refined - no scent
    unrefined - scent
  • Shelle58704
    Shelle58704 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love reading all the responses. Thank you. I have discovered that I hate the taste of coconut. Even masking it in smoothies, coffee, or eggs, I just can't get over it. I use it externally for loads of different things, I even do the oil pulling; but to add it to food and swallow, I just can't. I did start freezing it in little ice cube trays. I put in a half a tablespoon per 'cube'. I swallow 4 to get my 2 tablespoons a day. I've been doing it almost a week and I notice a huge difference in my skin and nails, and energy levels already.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I love reading all the responses. Thank you. I have discovered that I hate the taste of coconut. Even masking it in smoothies, coffee, or eggs, I just can't get over it. I use it externally for loads of different things, I even do the oil pulling; but to add it to food and swallow, I just can't. I did start freezing it in little ice cube trays. I put in a half a tablespoon per 'cube'. I swallow 4 to get my 2 tablespoons a day. I've been doing it almost a week and I notice a huge difference in my skin and nails, and energy levels already.

Are you using refined or unrefined.

Refined might work better for you.
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I melt it and mix it with Sugar for a great sugar scrub for my legs. I usually scratch myself to death in the winter because of my legs, but this winter (one of the hardest I can remember in recent history), my legs stayed smooth and soft and no scratching. You can find recipes on google for the sugar scrub
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    This doesn't make any sense, but I use it to help with bruising. I bruise very easily and rubbing some TJ's CO on the skin helps the bruise go away faster.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's the 'in thing' at the minute! I'm 50/50 on it. Much rather get my fats from peanut butter. One spoon of coconut oil in your coffee is over 100 calories! Fine if you like the taste and it helps you hit your macros but if calories are low surely those 100 calories could be 'spent' more wisely!
  • RunningCopper
    Options
    It's awesome shaving cream!
  • chaddington78
    Options
    I haven't tried it but it is high in saturated fat. I would rather have butter. Losing weight with coconut oil sounds gimmicky to me.
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've used it to pop my popcorn, it gives it a very subtle flavor. My husband doesn't care for it, but I like it. I have also spread it on toast instead of butter. And if you want an evil treat, melt some chocolate chips with some and then drizzle it on ice cream. It's homemade Magic Shell!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

The coconut flavor is not there really.
    If you get virgin, you will get the coconut scent.

If you get non-virgin, or whatever they call it, then there is no scent.

I prefer the scent.

correction..
    Refined and Unrefined.
    Refined - no scent
    unrefined - scent

Just a note on this- refined is full of "bad fats" (think like white bread- processed to the point where all the good stuff is gone) while the unrefined is the one with the "healthy fats".... so you want to stay away from refined and go for unrefined. That being said tho, not all unrefined ones leave a coconut flavour... I like the flavour so don't pay attention to this, though I've read on the boards that some people have gotten virgin coconut oil which doesn't leave any taste in their cooking. Try searching the boards or google, I guess...
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

That's a great idea for people who dislike the taste... and for those of us who don't mind now that summers here!
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    I use refined coconut oil ( this doesn't smell or taste like anything this melts at a high temp and is pretty hard in the jar) to cook eggs, popcorn, and stir fry veggies and things.

I have the Virgin Organic coconut oil ( This has a light coconut smell and taste it also melts at a very low temp and is soft in the jar) for lotion, oil pulling, I tried it as a suncreen not sure on that one though....I heard if you ingest and use it on your skin it will help more. I haven't ate a spoon yet to see if that is so. My teens use it on their acne and it helps improve there skin believe it or not. Maybe I will try it in my coffee.