Help (please) with juice calorie count

Options
Every morning I make fresh vegetable juice, but I've had a helluva time determining an accurate calorie count for the final product due to the separation of the pulp from the juice.

Here's what I've determined based on weighing my typical ingredients and using the calories-per-100g values from Self Nutrition Data:

Celery stalks: 244g - 39 cals
Cucumber: 260g - 39 cals
Ginger Root: 20g - 16 cals
Lemon (peeled; pith intact): 92g - 27 cals
Green Apple: 200g - 104 cals
Baby Spinach: 85g - 17 cals
Parsley: 35g - 13 cals

So the ingredients prior to juicing total 936g in weight and 255 cals.

After juicing, the yield is 662g of juice

Assuming the calories are evenly distributed within each veg or fruit between the pulp and juice, that would mean the final yield is 181 cals.

However, I suspect the calories are not evenly distributed that way. So, does anyone know if the caloric content is concentrated more in the juice or in the pulp?

I considered that formula of fiber containing 4 calories per gram, but there must be way more content in the pulp than just fiber because 274g x 4 cals per gram = 1,096 cals which can't be right.

So far, I've just been going with the total 255 cals as far as logging, but I'd like to get it more accurate if I can. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well my first question would be why are you weighing liquids? Those should be measured...in fluid ozs or ml

as for the calories search the database for celery juice etc and see if you can find it.

I personally would put that all in a blender/ninja/bullet and make a smoothie that way you aren't leaving out most of the food.
  • witttiger93
    Options
    I suppose I could juice each ingredient individually, cleaning the juicer in-between every time, to get a fl. oz. measurement for each and hope that there are accurate calorie values readily available for each and every one based on their fluid content alone.

That sounds more like a project for a really rainy Sunday.

No, I was hoping there was an easier solution that I was overlooking, but perhaps there just isn't any practical way to get an accurate count on fresh juice mixtures.

As for smoothies vs. juices, I know there are people in both camps on that issue. As long as the ingredients are healthy, I'm sure either method is healthy as a supplement to a balanced diet.

I just prefer juice.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If you figure this out i would love to know.... i have just been counting the fruit before the pulp is removed. I've been using what others have logged as my fruit count as well doing a search when i log instead of actually looking the item up myself and making and entry.

I prefer the juice over a smoothie as well. I eat usually two - three meals a day and am using the juice to make sure that i get plenty of fruits and vegetables in my diet. Sometimes, i am so full after the juice that it becomes my actual meal.

San :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't juice so I can't vouch for the accuracy - but this link has been previously recommended: http://www.happyjuicer.com/nutrition-calculator/
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't juice so I can't vouch for the accuracy - but this link has been previously recommended: http://www.happyjuicer.com/nutrition-calculator/

Thanks for this :)
    San :)