Body fat calipers vs Composition scales

Options
bunnymad
bunnymad Posts: 14 Member
Hey everyone,

Has anyone got any experience or thoughts on the calipers vs scales debate for measuring body fat percentage?

I have both but they give me widely differing measurements (calipers are consistently 15% lower than the scales). I'd be interested to know how other people get on with either and which you'd consider to be more accurate.

Thanks all!

Sarah xx

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Here is a post on my blog from a couple of years ago that should answer your questions about the different ways to measure body composition. Regardless of which method you choose to stick with, just pick one and track the changes over time as that is much more important and accurate for how your body is changing than trying to compare one methods reading to another's.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainingWithTonya/view/determining-body-fat-104431
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    your probably better off using the scale three times over the course of a day and average the results. or do that three times a week and take an average
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    With the scale i wouldnt take it as anything exact and would not let myself get disheartened by what it says. I used one for a while and just looked for a downward trend instead of the actual number itself. As for accurate, the calipers win every time if measurements are done properly. Ive thought about getting the DEXA or Hydrostatic test done to see just how accurate the calipers are but the 100$ pricetag obviously has me a bit hesitant.