Warm-up/mobility work before upper body training

Options
I am about to start my bulk. Before i do i want to be sure i am on the right track to prevent injury.

I want to warm up with some light cardio and then onto mobility work (with foam rollers/dynamic warmup). :huh: But i am confused.

For the upper body (shoulder, back...) what would be the proper amount and a good order to sequence to follow?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I do 15 minutes on the elliptical and then stretching with a PVC pipe. Google "PVC pipe stretch Crossfit" and they have videos about it. Foam rolling is better after the workout, IMO.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I use a jump rope or do KB swings- good whole body warm up.

I do whatever lift I'm going to do with the bar only- and then everything else comes after so I just jump right in.
  • JustinHastings
    Options
    This is one of the warm ups I regularly use:

10 calf raises
    10 knee circles in each direction
    10 leg swings (10 per leg)
    5 torso circles in each direction
    5 toe touches (bending your knees and looking forward)

Do all of this without any rest and you won't even need to do light cardio to start, because it will be enough to get a slight sweat going.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more info about a particular exercise in the warmup. Oh, and I agree with the poster above me who suggested foam rolling after the workout.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I do 15 minutes on the elliptical and then stretching with a PVC pipe. Google "PVC pipe stretch Crossfit" and they have videos about it. Foam rolling is better after the workout, IMO.

I will check it out-- thanks
  • 43mmmgoody21
    Options

I do whatever lift I'm going to do with the bar only- and then everything else comes after so I just jump right in.

I find that a general whole body warm up gets me slightly ready to lift. Usually i then to a weight-specific warm up (e,g, if i were benching, i'd start with the empty bar , and then after a few increases in weight get to my working set). However....

I still find i am not completely flexible (especially in the shoulder area).

I have heard a program called Limber 11 would be good for lower body (and he does foam rolling before). But i have yet to find a good upper body (to protect and help out my shoulder mobility).
  • 43mmmgoody21
    Options
    This is one of the warm ups I regularly use:

10 calf raises
    10 knee circles in each direction
    10 leg swings (10 per leg)
    5 torso circles in each direction
    5 toe touches (bending your knees and looking forward)

Do all of this without any rest and you won't even need to do light cardio to start, because it will be enough to get a slight sweat going.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more info about a particular exercise in the warmup. Oh, and I agree with the poster above me who suggested foam rolling after the workout.

I like the idea of not doing light cardio-- it bores me to death.

So after you are generally warmed up what do you do? Do you do mobility movements, more dynamic stretching specific for the weightlifting exercises you will be doing, or just go right into training (with warm up sets of course).

BTW. I am going to be following a 5X5 program:

Workout A : squat, bench press, rows.
    Workout B: squat, overhead press, deadlift, chins
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I find that a general whole body warm up gets me slightly ready to lift. Usually i then to a weight-specific warm up (e,g, if i were benching, i'd start with the empty bar , and then after a few increases in weight get to my working set). However....

I have heard a program called Limber 11 would be good for lower body (and he does foam rolling before). But i have yet to find a good upper body (to protect and help out my shoulder mobility).

have you tried YTPL exercises?

or band work? I like doing those and yoga as well- but I tend to skimp on upper body since it needs less work than my lower body.
    I also do pull ups as the first part of my workout.
    and or rowing machine.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I like laying over a bosu ball.
  • JustinHastings
    Options
    So after you are generally warmed up what do you do? Do you do mobility movements, more dynamic stretching specific for the weightlifting exercises you will be doing, or just go right into training (with warm up sets of course).

BTW. I am going to be following a 5X5 program:

Workout A : squat, bench press, rows.
    Workout B: squat, overhead press, deadlift, chins

After the 2-3 minute warmup, go right into your warmup sets for lifting. 5x5 is a great program, just make sure you warm up properly for your lifts. I do 4 warm up sets with 60 seconds rest in between each one before starting my real sets.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    Options
    have you tried YTPL exercises?

or band work? I like doing those and yoga as well- but I tend to skimp on upper body since it needs less work than my lower body.
    I also do pull ups as the first part of my workout.
    and or rowing machine.

I will check out YTPL.
    I have never done band work but plan to, as many of the shoulder mobility/warmup seem to involve this.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    Options

After the 2-3 minute warmup, go right into your warmup sets for lifting. 5x5 is a great program, just make sure you warm up properly for your lifts. I do 4 warm up sets with 60 seconds rest in between each one before starting my real sets.

Justin,

so you don't do soft tissue work/foam rolling? Or do you do this after your workout (or off days)? Or not at all?

Thanks

I agree the 5X5 program is a solid basic program-- i want to get strong.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

I agree! Warm up with the bar, or a movement that mimics the exercise and body parts you're about to workout.