Fruit?

Options
funfang
funfang Posts: 200 Member
It's summer time and I love all the fresh fruit I can get. I used to be able to eat just fruit all day and thinking it's a good thing. However, I now find out even I can keep the calories under my goal, my sugar intake will go through the roof if I eat so much fruit.

So, is it bad to eat so much fruit because the sugar? Would it effect my weight loss plan? Is it bad for my health even those are "nature" sugar?

Thanks for reading and have a good day everyone.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter as long as youre not going over your calorie goal or diabetic
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical problem, enjoy the fruit.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    IMO it's not bad. Just change from tracking sugar to tracking something like fiber, then you don't have something "in the red" every day
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How are your other macros....are you getting enough protein .....are you getting enough fat? As long as your diet is well rounded and you don't have medical issues with regards to sugar, go ahead and eat fruit.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yeah, fruit is terrible for you. Especially bananas. I mean, look at all those people sitting in McDonald's getting fat off those bananas. They should be banned.

;P I personally think your daily sugar intake, unless you're diabetic, should be "added sugars" and not natural sugars.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Yeah, fruit is terrible for you. Especially bananas. I mean, look at all those people sitting in McDonald's getting fat off those bananas. They should be banned.

^you realize anything eaten at a calorie surplus makes you gain weight, right? And that statement right there is why so many people think all you have to so is cut things out to obtain a healthy life and lose weight. You can certainly get fat from eating too many bananas. I happen to like McDonald's but to each their own.

OP, medical conditions aside, sugar can be ignored. Assuming you're eating a balanced diet and getting enough protein and fats, eat as much fruit as you want. Stay in a calorie deficit, balance your macro/micros and enjoy
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have some protein (peanut butter, cottage cheese, greek yogurt) with your fruit to feel fuller. It helps me not over eat the fruit which is very yummy this time of year.
  • kgracesch
    kgracesch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree! Just notice how your body feels and make sure your whole diet is in balance & all will be well.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have some protein (peanut butter, cottage cheese, greek yogurt) with your fruit to feel fuller. It helps me not over eat the fruit which is very yummy this time of year.

^^ THIS ^^ Fruit is a great source of the carbs you need for energy and it's a whole food which is better for you than say a biscuit. I eat fruit in my smoothie every morning (spinach, almond milk, greek yogurt and fruit), and fruit every afternoon with cottage cheese before my workouts. AND it makes a great choice for dessert that is not going to derail your efforts... but I wouldn't suggest eating the WHOLE watermelon at one sitting. LOL
  • sgvdms
    sgvdms Posts: 33 Member
    Options

^you realize anything eaten at a calorie surplus makes you gain weight, right? And that statement right there is why so many people think all you have to so is cut things out to obtain a healthy life and lose weight. You can certainly get fat from eating too many bananas. I happen to like McDonald's but to each their own.

OP, medical conditions aside, sugar can be ignored. Assuming you're eating a balanced diet and getting enough protein and fats, eat as much fruit as you want. Stay in a calorie deficit, balance your macro/micros and enjoy

Some raw vegans would disagree with you, I'm not one so I dunno but a lot of them practice abundance of just a massive amount of fruit calculating thousands and thousands of calories.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Some raw vegans would disagree with you, I'm not one so I dunno but a lot of them practice abundance of just a massive amount of fruit calculating thousands and thousands of calories.

Calories In Versus Calories Out. You cannot eat more than what your body can burn in a 24 hour period and not eventually gain weight. If you eat more than is burned it then gets stored as fat. That is the bottom line.
  • sgvdms
    sgvdms Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Calories In Versus Calories Out. You cannot eat more than what your body can burn in a 24 hour period and not eventually gain weight. If you eat more than is burned it then gets stored as fat. That is the bottom line.

As I said some raw vegans would disagree, I didn't say I did.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

As I said some raw vegans would disagree, I didn't say I did.

Then some raw vegans don't know what they're talking.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

There are many problems with the implementations of the calories in versus calories out theory. It's really a very poor implementation of the laws of thermodynamics. To properly implement the laws of thermodynamics the equation looks like this:

calories in = BMR + activity + entropy + calories stored + energy transfer

Now the important thing to note about the accurate representation of the laws of thermodynamics is the conversation of energy can be balanced when changing both calories in and activity without ever touching fat stores. This leads us to need to differentiate between gross calories consumed and net calories available for fat storage.

There are a multitude of factors that influence fat storage such as angiogenesis - the formation of blood vessels. No new cells can be created without angiogenesis; however, plant based foods tend to inhibit angiogenesis meaning even the over consumption of plant based foods might not lead to as much weight gain as angiogenic foods.

The next thing you have to account for is the pure volume of food because our digestive track has limited space. It's not easy to eat over 2,000 of just bananas because of the pure volume of the food. If our intestine is full of banana and we eat more bananas what happens? Well the oldest bananas are pushed out before fully digested (a.k.a. increasing energy transfer).

So there is some credence to believe that weight gain will not occur from excess fruit consumption. Besides, there's not a single study that shows someone can get fat off of eating just fruit and without clinical evidence it's far from fact.

I would like links to peer reviewed studies for this. So, if I were to eat say 30 bananas to create a calorie surplus. My body would instinctively poop out enough of the bananas that I wouldn't be in a surplus and wouldn't gain weight?
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding :-) I will try to balance out my other food intake. Good to know I don't have to cut off too much of my fruit :-)
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    I would like links to peer reviewed studies for this. So, if I were to eat say 30 bananas to create a calorie surplus. My body would instinctively poop out enough of the bananas that I wouldn't be in a surplus and wouldn't gain weight?

They haven't done any, but two things... I had forgot to add that the TEF of natural fruits is higher so it's again a reduced net calorie gain. Secondly 30 bananas is barely 2,000 gross calories which isn't a substantial caloric intake for weight gain either.

Now that being said studies do show an inverse relationship between fruit consumption and both obesity and diabetes, but this of course can be influenced by several factors and it's a pure over consumption of fruit.

You should check out Freelee the banana girl if you really want to see the effects and impacts of eating 30 bananas a day. http://thebananagirl.com/

You don't weight your food, do you? Every banana I've ever bought has been at least 100 calories worth. Also, freelee is crazy and does an immense amount of cardio, from what I'd heard. Therefore, this doesn't trump thermodynamics
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

There are many problems with the implementations of the calories in versus calories out theory. It's really a very poor implementation of the laws of thermodynamics. To properly implement the laws of thermodynamics the equation looks like this:

calories in = BMR + activity + entropy + calories stored + energy transfer

Now the important thing to note about the accurate representation of the laws of thermodynamics is the conversation of energy can be balanced when changing both calories in and activity without ever touching fat stores. This leads us to need to differentiate between gross calories consumed and net calories available for fat storage.

There are a multitude of factors that influence fat storage such as angiogenesis - the formation of blood vessels. No new cells can be created without angiogenesis; however, plant based foods tend to inhibit angiogenesis meaning even the over consumption of plant based foods might not lead to as much weight gain as angiogenic foods.

The next thing you have to account for is the pure volume of food because our digestive track has limited space. It's not easy to eat over 2,000 of just bananas because of the pure volume of the food. If our intestine is full of banana and we eat more bananas what happens? Well the oldest bananas are pushed out before fully digested (a.k.a. increasing energy transfer).

So there is some credence to believe that weight gain will not occur from excess fruit consumption. Besides, there's not a single study that shows someone can get fat off of eating just fruit and without clinical evidence it's far from fact.

OK, here you are again, making things more complicated than they have to be. I would have to ask where have you been the last couple years? You have been on MFP since February of 2012 but the bulk of your posts are today. Suddenly today you decide to start posting and like to argue every post that a successful person makes in response to a question. One of the reasons many people do not succeed at weight loss is because they over think it. Then there is people like you that promote the over thinking of weight loss.

Unless there is a medical condition, CALORIES IN VERSUS CALORIES OUT is the golden rule. :drinker:

Edit: Just checked and you actually just started posting on Sunday May 25th of this year. I actually find that odd.