Evaluate my food please?

Options
I am 5' 3-3/4" 200lbs female

I have been tracking, adjusting and re-learning about portions for nearly a year.
I was a strong and curvy 140lbs pre pregnancy 4 years ago but since then fell back into old bad habits of stress and depression eating. I still struggle with this sometimes but it isn't usually too bad when it happens.

I rarely eat fast food, fried food, sugar, drink soda or juice but I haven't been loosing weight.
My calorie intake is generally 1,300 - 1,700 depending. I am not super active because I have a toddler and preschooler that I watch during the day but I do 20min of yoga twice a day and try to get lunges/squats in when I can.

Today my food plan will be:
Snacks are spread out in between meals. I eat something every 2 hrs or so

-Breakfast- 319cal
Hard boiled egg
small slice harvest bread
3tbs 2% cottage cheese
1/4 avocado
1/2 a wedge of cantaloupe

-Lunch- 231cal
1 3/4oz salmon steak
3tbs wild rice
1c romaine lettuce
1tbs craisins
1tbs pecans
1tbs fat free raspberry pecan dressing

-Dinner-366cal
1 chicken breast w/mayo Parmesan topping
1/2c brussel sprouts
1/2c broccoli
2 carrots
1tsp olive oil(to bake veggies)

-Snacks-291cal
2 mugs of coffee with almond milk and xylitol
1/2 apple
2 med carrots
2tbs hummus
1c popcorn
half dill pickle

Total 1,206 cal
Less than usual but the day isn't over.
This is the type of food I eat. I go out for a meal 1-2 times a week so those days are usually a little more but I choose wisely.

Any input would be great!
~Liz

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Same thing every day? Boring. But for one day's menu looks ok.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much the same thing every work day for breakfast. If you like it and don't get tired of it, I think it looks good, for sure.

Also, just so you know, I am in no way related to megsmom
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No not the same thing every day. Just that type of food every day. Nothing super unhealthy, I eat veggies and some fruit, not too much carbs(since I'm not very active) a good amount of protein, olive oil or coconut oil etc.

But I cant seem to loose any weight.
    Any suggestions?
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Looks okay but are you weighing out your portions of food using a digital food scale? If not, you are eating more than you think, which would tend to be why you've stalled in losing weight.

Your 1 chicken breast logged at X number of ounces, or your 1 tablespoon of nuts on your salad may actually be quite a bit bigger than you think (or smaller, but that's usually not the case, especially since you haven't lost weight). Your measurements for fruits, veggies, dressings/sauces, stuff like that may vary quite a bit depending on both the size of the fruit or vegetable that you're eating half of, or depending on how much you portion out for yourself (measuring cups aren't accurate for solids and viscous foods. They are food for liquids only if you want to log accurately and lose weight). A food scale eliminates these "user errors" as I like to call them, and you know that if you weigh your uncooked chicken breast at X number of ounces or grams, and find the correct database entry for raw chicken breast: 1 ounce or 100g, then you can log it accordingly.
  • mongoosealamode
    Options
    I actually have a food scale. I use it for almost everything, and if I don't it is because I have a hundred times already and can estimate and measure pretty accurately.
  • Ani45
    Ani45 Posts: 47
    Options
    How long have you been tracking your food?

And also you can try eating the same amount of calories each day? Its a lot easier and you are more strict this way with your diet. Start a bit higher and if you don't lose anything in 1-2 weeks, take away 100cal and have a look if you will lose, until you reach a point where you are loosing. But give it a time! Don't be discouraged if you don't lose anything eating 1200 cal for 2-3 days. Also look your salt/sodium intake. It might be just water weight, because I can't imagine someone not losing on 1200 calories per day. Eat more and incorporate some exercise, e.g. walking Good luck !!
  • avril2626
    avril2626 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Liz,
    Your info shows you started in Jan 2014. I don't know what your weight loss is to date, but you may be coming to a time period when your weight loss will naturally slow. If you are taking in fewer calories than you are burning each day, while keeping your plan at the right nutritional level, with the right amount of calories, then you WILL lose weight. A 500 cal deficit will take off a lb a wk, and an 800 ca on will yield batwing 1 1/4 and 1 1/2, etc... If you lost more in the beginning, it may have been water, and now your scale is showing your true loss. Read "how many lbs. do you lose in a month" in the "success stories section, and pay attention to the remarks of others similar to you (ie not men, whose metabolism are usually higher per muscle mass, etc., nor those who weigh a lot more than you, as you generally will burn more in relationship to your weight. A lot of people are losing between 1 and 3 or 4 lbs a month. I am preparing for this. I lost a lot first wk and a half, then plateaued, with some gaining, and now finally down a net of 1 over the last 3 wks. I have been eating what I should be, and am adding exercise now ( had an injury). I know that I will continue to lose over the long haul, but the results won't happen right away, even when I am trying hard to be healthy, and I am tracking everything. I didn't gain overnight and won't lose it that way either.
    Also, as you lose, your caloric needs pre-exercise generally decrease, unless you are adding a lot of muscle mass
    I don't know if this pertains to your situation, but in any event, it's just math, and it can take awhile, but you will be weighing less all the time along the way. judie
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 3-3/4" 200lbs female

I have been tracking, adjusting and re-learning about portions for nearly a year.
    I was a strong and curvy 140lbs pre pregnancy 4 years ago but since then fell back into old bad habits of stress and depression eating. I still struggle with this sometimes but it isn't usually too bad when it happens.

I rarely eat fast food, fried food, sugar, drink soda or juice but I haven't been loosing weight.
    My calorie intake is generally 1,300 - 1,700 depending. I am not super active because I have a toddler and preschooler that I watch during the day but I do 20min of yoga twice a day and try to get lunges/squats in when I can.

Today my food plan will be:
    Snacks are spread out in between meals. I eat something every 2 hrs or so

-Breakfast- 319cal
    Hard boiled egg
    small slice harvest bread
    3tbs 2% cottage cheese
    1/4 avocado
    1/2 a wedge of cantaloupe

-Lunch- 231cal
    1 3/4oz salmon steak
    3tbs wild rice
    1c romaine lettuce
    1tbs craisins
    1tbs pecans
    1tbs fat free raspberry pecan dressing

-Dinner-366cal
    1 chicken breast w/mayo Parmesan topping
    1/2c brussel sprouts
    1/2c broccoli
    2 carrots
    1tsp olive oil(to bake veggies)

-Snacks-291cal
    2 mugs of coffee with almond milk and xylitol
    1/2 apple
    2 med carrots
    2tbs hummus
    1c popcorn
    half dill pickle

Total 1,206 cal
    Less than usual but the day isn't over.
    This is the type of food I eat. I go out for a meal 1-2 times a week so those days are usually a little more but I choose wisely.

Any input would be great!
    ~Liz
    have you lost any weight since eating this way?
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I actually have a food scale. I use it for almost everything, and if I don't it is because I have a hundred times already and can estimate and measure pretty accurately.

Well then if you have weighed things correctly, your estimates when you don't weigh are very off. Unless you have some underlying medical condition that is preventing you from losing weight eating 1200 calories, you are eating more than you think.
  • mongoosealamode
    Options
    Like I originally said this food list is today as of now. My usual calorie intake is 1300-1700. I lost about 5lbs when I first started and then it stopped there.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Like I originally said this food list is today as of now. My usual calorie intake is 1300-1700. I lost about 5lbs when I first started and then it stopped there.
    then I'm afraid you are underestimating your calories, unless you have a medical issue.