Substitutions for Mayonnaise

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I use Miracle Whip Light for things like egg salad and tuna salad. Of course, I already liked Miracle Whip for those things.

tumblr_luk5eeOBmh1r5r5uqo1_500.gif
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a lot of Mayonnaise on things and it is really adding up and taking away my calories. I was wondering if anyone had any good substitutions that they use? I mostly use mayo in egg salad, on sandwiches and in tuna.

A few that I know of are hummus, olive oil, yogurt, avocados and mustard. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!!!

I make my own mayo using olive oil, eggs, lemon juice, mustard, salt & pepper. It's probably not lower in cals, but tastes amazing and doesn't have any preservatives (not that those MUST be avoided) and is a good source of quality fat.

ETA: left out mustard in the ingredient list.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I don't substitute foods that I like just on principle, but I just so happen to HATE mayo, so for sandwiches and stuff I use hummus or smashed avocado, or laughing cow cheese wedges. In chicken salad I use plain greek yogurt.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    if it's a sandwich I'll use avocado/guacamole otherwise I just use mayo and suck it up. I personally hate miracle whip.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I use whipped egg whites with lots of garlic...spreads nice on sandwiches and makes a great dip as well!
  • WndrGrl
    WndrGrl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    seasoned greek yoghurt and mustards are great (i.e horserdish mustard or blue cheese yoghurt)

Tell me more of this Blue Cheese Yogurt you speak of. . .
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mayo!! The light versions just didn't taste right to me, but I am loving the Hellman's/Best Foods Canola mayo. Only 40 cal/tbsp. I don't feel like I'm compromising the taste I love.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Hellmans Dijonaise can be hard to find but SO worth it. One time it was scarce locally and I bought a whole case online!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip.

sometimes the extra calories are worth it. :wink:

/thread

That would make sense if Miracle Whip were any good. ;)
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    On sandwiches I use spicy brown mustard. For mayo based tuna salad and the like, I use either light mayo or light miracle whip and use either sparingly.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I would say Wasabi Mayo but I know that's no help :)

I actually put mustard in my tuna and love it, not for dietary reasons, just because I think it's delicious.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt mixed with lemon juice, dijon mustard and black pepper is great - I use it in tuna mixes, with grilled meat, on salad etc.
    I also take this as a base and add a little tabasco and ketchup to make a great marie rose sauce, or whisk in a laughing cow extra light blue cheese triangle to make an alternative to blue cheese dressing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt! I hate mayonnaise.

this- I use plain greek yogurt for anything requiring mayo- or sour cream.

That stuff's amazing- and what's even better- I eat the whole container- for cooking or daily consumption... mayo and sour cream goes bad- I never make it all the way through. such a waste.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Mmm Avocado! I think it tastes way better and i'm getting some nutritional value with the calories.

If I use mayo, I use light mayo, don't use a lot and use mustard also. I get some creamyness with the mayo and more flavor from the mustard. And there's so many different flavors of mustard out there!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I make my own salad dressings and mayo and it's going to sound kinda odd but I actually use way less when I make it myself. It's a little bit of work and planning but it's worth it.

If you've never made homemade mayo it is AMAZING so I find I don't need a large amount for flavor like the store brands.

Plus I know exactly what's in it.:smile:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a lot of Mayonnaise on things and it is really adding up and taking away my calories. I was wondering if anyone had any good substitutions that they use? I mostly use mayo in egg salad, on sandwiches and in tuna.

A few that I know of are hummus, olive oil, yogurt, avocados and mustard. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!!!

I don't eat substitute food at all....ever ! I see no reason to substitute one thing for another just to save 25 calories and then put up with something that does not taste so good. When it comes to mayo I don't use much, because I don't eat the american way . I use mayo in russian salad and the occasional potato salad. I have already years ago switched to make tuna in a " thai " style with lime juice, cilantro and chiles and like it better this way .
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I really like mayo, although my favorite is Best Choice Light Olive Oil Mayo (also super cheap since it's generic). I guess a lot of people hate light mayo, though?

I'd say just try to cut back the amount you use and see how that works.

I like light mayo just fine.....not tried this one. Fat free mayo is truly horrible

OP - do you use pickle relish in tuna salad......adds moisture.....so you can cut back on mayo.

Potato salad .....I add chopped dill pickle and some pickle juice (other veggies too). Not a creamy potato salad, but tasty.

Another idea ......add some plain greek yogurt to your mayo. The taste won't be the same, but in something more flavorful it won't be too bad.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    cauliflower?
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I tried vegan mayonnaise recently when i had to prepare a vegan meal. It had a different taste, almost similar to miracle whip, but it's 35 calories vs. 100. I personally think just a little bit of mayo is fine though if you can work on limiting your portions. Or you can mix it with something like honey mustard or mustard to get more spread and flavor!