Eating Exercise calories? Help Please

Options
I generally eat within my calorie allowance and ignore the extra calories allowed from my exercise but I am just wondering if I eat into the extra calories provided from a workout does that still leave me in a deficit. Basically will I still lose weight or maintain?

I mainly asking for when I have nights out or go out for dinner and I need a few extra calories.

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    MFP's calculations do not include your exercise calories. You lose weight by eating in a deficit, so yes you will still lose weight. Eat back your exercise calories. If not all at least half of them. Your exercise calories will give you more calories to workout with that day to eat more if you like when going out.
  • meltoine
    meltoine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat back you're exercise calories. Your base number (before exercise) still leaves you at a deficit according to how much you are try tying to lose per week. So, if you set up your account trying to lose 1lb/week, MFP gives you a calorie count that has a 500-calorie deficit built in. Any exercise calories will give you a bigger deficit if you don't eat them back, which may be ok or may mean you're eating too little. But you can definitely use your exercise calories for a night out.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Changingmyfatitude Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank for the advice Ladies, there is much for me to learn in this fitness world.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

ETA more info regarding this link. It will explain under what circumstances you should/shouldn't eat back your exercise calories. I hope it's helpful!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eat back about half the calories you burned exercising. This is to offset the fact that calorie burns are often over estimated.