Treadmill beginner

Options
Anyone use the treadmill? Any advice for a beginner?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    run outside instead.

treadmills are soul-sucking death machines. im not an avid runner but im trying to get into it, and have in the past as well. nothing is worse than running in the same spot for an extended period of time
  • TMattP
    TMattP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hello.

Really good set of comfortable headphones and some high tempo music combined with the Couch to 5K training plan.

Worked for me and I'd never been a runner.

It's taken me about 6 months to go from zero to comfortably running 5K. Not a fast 5K but I get there.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Treat it like any other running exercise. If you're never run before, using an interval-based program like Couch to 5K is your best chance at success. It makes running seem much more manageable.

Also, you may want to use a slight incline at all times (I vary mine but always have one) to compensate for that bit of propulsion from the machine. Makes running outdoors seem such easier if and when you do that.

And I always use a small towel to cover the time so I don't just stare at the seconds ticking by.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Start at a level that challenges you, but you are comfortable with. Increase whenever you can and still fit those criteria. Increase speed and/or incline. Add speed or incline intervals.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    run outside instead.

treadmills are soul-sucking death machines. im not an avid runner but im trying to get into it, and have in the past as well. nothing is worse than running in the same spot for an extended period of time

Not everyone feels that way. Probably no need to discourage a new runner immediately, no matter where they run.

Not everyone has access to safe, comfortable places to run outdoors on a regular basis.
  • TMattP
    TMattP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    run outside instead.

I started my running in winter. A treadmill was ideal. You get a lot of people saying treadmills are awful, run outside and thats fine. End of the day you just need to RUN.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am just walking on an incline at about 3 mph..I never thought about running lol
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Use treadmills that have heart rate monitors attached and use the cadrio training option and enter your age / weight. It will increase / decrease the intensity of the workout based on your heart rate and maximize your workout. Treat the calories burned as estimates and maybe record slightly less calories burned than what the machine says. Generally speaking, I feel more confident in the estimate when I can enter my age/weight/ and track my heart rate.

Some people don't like tredmils, I personally like them and have really grown to like ellipticals in the last few months. I like them because I can bring my smart phone, connect it to the gym's wifi and watch netflix and youtube. Cardio time is my TV time, that's how I unwind at the end of the day.
  • apaulsey
    apaulsey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill almost daily. Some advice would be to experiment with how you want to use it.
    Walking at a quick pace, incline or no incline, if you have programmed workouts to select you might want
    to try those. If you have a calories burned readout on your treadmill, do not trust the number it gives you.
    Invest in a heart rate monitor to track your average heart rate then use a calories burned app or online calculator to determine how many calories you actually burned. Finally listen to some upbeat music to keep you motivated during your time on the treadmill. Otherwise it will feel like you have been on there for an eternity when you have only been on for a few minutes. I used to use my ipod with playlists I created, now I use my smartphone and listen to Pandora.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Take some time to learn your way around the treadmill. Know where the STOP button is. Learn how to jump off the moving belt in an 'emergency'. Start slow.

Learn from my bad--don't zone out too much else you will fly off the back and have bloody shins to show for it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    run outside instead.

treadmills are soul-sucking death machines.

Heh, I kind of agree with this, but know that treadmills can be handy, especially if you don't have good outdoor running options or it's 100 degrees and you aren't used to it or below zero and snowy like it was back in January and February when I started trying to get back into it.

Basically, there's no real trick to it. Up the speed gradually. Don't forget to warm up before you start trying to go faster. Step on the tread (the moving part), and stay away from the edges. Play around with the incline--I find it's easier to get a good workout on a treadmill by walking fast at an incline or playing with intervals, since I get bored at steady state indoors.

I find music or a good podcast absolutely essential, but some people use the C25K program or this Zombies Run app that is supposed to make it more fun.
  • MyCabbages
    MyCabbages Posts: 33
    Options
    I can't even express how much I love treadmills, and how much I hate running outside. Yes, it's a bit repetitive, but I found that if you create a list of good music, or have a device capable of watching Netflix (etc) on, the time really flies.

To make the most out of a treadmill though, you should find one that lets you input your age and weight and has a heart rate monitor. This will give you a much more accurate read of your calories burned and the kind of work you are doing.

Personally, my knees and shins are a bit shot from being overweight and they start to really really hurt if i walk/run downhill or sometimes even flat. I use ACE knee supports but they really just curb it. Treadmills give me the ability to put on a slight incline and save my knees! You certainly can't get that outside!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    run outside instead.

+1
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Use treadmills that have heart rate monitors attached and use the cadrio training option and enter your age / weight. It will increase / decrease the intensity of the workout based on your heart rate and maximize your workout. Treat the calories burned as estimates and maybe record slightly less calories burned than what the machine says. Generally speaking, I feel more confident in the estimate when I can enter my age/weight/ and track my heart rate.

Some people don't like tredmils, I personally like them and have really grown to like ellipticals in the last few months. I like them because I can bring my smart phone, connect it to the gym's wifi and watch netflix and youtube. Cardio time is my TV time, that's how I unwind at the end of the day.

I actually got on the treadmill at the Gym with a heart monitor and thought my heart rate was high..that's why I was asking this question:) Thank you
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Learn from my bad--don't zone out too much else you will fly off the back and have bloody shins to show for it.

Someone else! This similar to my most embarassing gym moment story, from maybe 15 years ago. I was working out at lunch and trying to see something on a big TV to my left and stepped too close to the side and lost my balancing and went flying off the thing.

It was not that crowded so I convinced myself no one had noticed, picked myself up and continued my workout. Was feeling fine when I went to leave, only to be called over by the person working at the front desk and asked to sign a form releasing them from any liability (this was a health club in my old office building, which was full of law firms, but still...).

OP, this is actually quite uncommon, I think. I'm a klutz.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I can't even express how much I love treadmills, and how much I hate running outside. Yes, it's a bit repetitive, but I found that if you create a list of good music, or have a device capable of watching Netflix (etc) on, the time really flies.

To make the most out of a treadmill though, you should find one that lets you input your age and weight and has a heart rate monitor. This will give you a much more accurate read of your calories burned and the kind of work you are doing.

Personally, my knees and shins are a bit shot from being overweight and they start to really really hurt if i walk/run downhill or sometimes even flat. I use ACE knee supports but they really just curb it. Treadmills give me the ability to put on a slight incline and save my knees! You certainly can't get that outside!

Thanks! I was messing with it yesterday with the inclines and speeds
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for your prompt responses!! :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Unplug it and go outside. Some people are motivated by the numbers on the little screens, but personally I find running outside to be far more fulfilling. I get bored after 10 minutes on one of those infernal machines.

Regardless of that, I'd recommend one of two approaches to develop your running; either follow a pre-packaged plan or come up with your own that progressively challenges you.

Couch to 5K is pretty good, very popular and there are a couple of support groups on here for it where you'll get some decent advice.

As an alternative, if you're more comfortable coming up with your own then do that, and push yourself to increase your time a little each session. That takes more self discipline, but it may work better for you.

Keep your pace comfortable, if you go to fast you'll burn out.
  • 1lexisva
    Options

Unplug it and go outside. Some people are motivated by the numbers on the little screens, but personally I find running outside to be far more fulfilling. I get bored after 10 minutes on one of those infernal machines.

Regardless of that, I'd recommend one of two approaches to develop your running; either follow a pre-packaged plan or come up with your own that progressively challenges you.

Couch to 5K is pretty good, very popular and there are a couple of support groups on here for it where you'll get some decent advice.

As an alternative, if you're more comfortable coming up with your own then do that, and push yourself to increase your time a little each session. That takes more self discipline, but it may work better for you.

Keep your pace comfortable, if you go to fast you'll burn out.

Thanks! I have been walking on it since it was my first time using it yesterday...I am not really a runner
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Treadmills give me the ability to put on a slight incline and save my knees! You certainly can't get that outside!

fwiw I've had reconstructive surgery on my knees and ankles in the past, currently pushing out about 30-40km per week running outside.

Treadmills provide no discernible benefit to impact related injuries, and there are some schools of thought that suggest that running outside, particularly trail running is far more beneficial as it places a lot more emphasis on dealing with a range of different movements. Treadmills only support exercising a very limited range of actions.

That is not to say that they don't provide the opportunity to churn out lots of miles, and they have a place in a serious runners training programme, but given the opportunity to get outside there are far more general benefits for health and fitness.

But if you really enjoy a hamster wheel that much, that is not to say don't do it.