Female lifting alone.

Options
lizc0616
lizc0616 Posts: 68 Member
Is there any heavy lifting excersizes that are feasible not having someone spot? I was going with a friend and lifting with her, but our schedules have collided and i'm forced to go alone... advice please! :)

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I almost always lift alone. The only time I needed a spot was when my bench press was really high - 135-145 range, and I'd get nervous. There are always guys sitting around between sets who were happy to spot. Even then you probably don't absolutely require a spotter if you can successfully do the roll of shame (google how to get out of a failed bench press for youtube videos), but it helps with my confidence to have one. I do squats in a safety rack.

I've actually never failed a lift, but I have watched a lot of youtube videos on how to fail them and live to tell the tale :)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I've always lifted alone. As stated, worse case scenario has been roll of shame haha
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I use a smith machine for my own peace of mind. Only for squats and bench press. Otherwise I can wing it. Good luck finding what works for you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most exercise you don't really need a spot. the only time i ask for a spot is when i'm maxing out on bench press. i pretty much ask a guy at the gym to spot me, just so it doesn't fall on my neck. it's happened once, and i couldn't get it off. had two people come help me after i cried out. never again.

what exercise are you doing that you NEED a spot on? if you need a spot, it's to help you finish that one last rep because your strength is wavering, and your form is probably going down the tubes. become a little more intuitive of your body, and you will know when that is happening.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I lift alone at home. I know my limits, and I know how to fail safely. I never push it, no 1 rep maxes, so that's a downfall, but it also helps keep me safe. I have definitely done the roll of shame more than once or twice.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I use a smith machine for my own peace of mind. Only for squats and bench press. Otherwise I can wing it. Good luck finding what works for you.

you're doing yourself a disservice using the smith machine for squats and bench. both those exercises really hit the core, but when done in a smith machine, you eliminate those stabilizing muscles.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Um.

Use a squat rack or power cage.

I lift alone 99.9% of the time.

I bench in the power cage- and I squat in the power cage/squat rack.
    easy peasy lemon squeezy.

a female lifting alone is kind of like a man lifting alone- there are no secret tricks to it- if you need help- ask- if not set the equipment up properly and safely.

But as you get better you'll realize lifting to failure isn't such a great thing- and you wind up working in a comfortable range and you will feel perfectly fine benching on your own even out of the power cage.

go forth
    be fabulous.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need a spot in my opinion unless you are maxing out (lifting as much weight as you can).
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells. Never need a spot (safety-wise), plus you get the benefit of working all those stablilizer muscles due to the isolation of not having the bar connected.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've always lifted alone. As stated, worse case scenario has been roll of shame haha

^^ This. If you're worried about it on bench press, pull an adjustable bench into a power rack or squat cage and use the side rails as your spotters.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Um.

Use a squat rack or power cage.

I lift alone 99.9% of the time.

I bench in the power cage- and I squat in the power cage/squat rack.
    easy peasy lemon squeezy.

a female lifting alone is kind of like a man lifting alone- there are no secret tricks to it- if you need help- ask- if not set the equipment up properly and safely.

But as you get better you'll realize lifting to failure isn't such a great thing- and you wind up working in a comfortable range and you will feel perfectly fine benching on your own even out of the power cage.

go forth
    be fabulous.

What she said!
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Umm......lifting to failure IS in fact a great thing. I'd recommend training every muscle group to failure on that muscle group's last exercise of the day. There is a lot of debate, but let's be honest - people like to argue.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-muscle-prof-training-to-failure-helping-or-hurting-me.html
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Also- it's important to learn how to properly fail a lift- even in a rack or power cage mistakes/accidents happen.

Learn how to fail properly- there are several ways for a bench- but for squat's it's pretty much just sit down and don't tip forward or back.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

you're doing yourself a disservice using the smith machine for squats and bench. both those exercises really hit the core, but when done in a smith machine, you eliminate those stabilizing muscles.

What he said. I've never used it and I won't use it. Even before I knew what it was, I didn't like the "assisted" idea that I could clearly see. I'm ready to get into a squat cage any day now.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Umm......lifting to failure IS in fact a great thing. I'd recommend training every muscle group to failure on that muscle group's last exercise of the day. There is a lot of debate, but let's be honest - people like to argue.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-muscle-prof-training-to-failure-helping-or-hurting-me.html

Research any reputable power lifting program for training- Smolov and Sheiko are two big ones that come to mind- time under tension and working high volume with NO failure. Training for body building- might be different but for actual strength? not so much.

I used to train to failure regularly- it's not that good for you and can really set you back. I've done more for my lifting this summer doing different high volume's than the last year with 9 months of pyrimad failure training.
  • lizc0616
    Options
    THANKS for all of the response! I think my thing was my anxiety of doing it alone just because i have had the support of my friend "spotting" me from day one, and quite honestly she never actually did anything besides stand there and guide me and be support in case i had an accident lol. I do not max out but i do push myself always. I use a squat cage for squats, and bench press i just will have to start at my min weight until i feel safe to do alone! :drinker: I know i can do it, like i said i am so used to her support is scares me to think of doing it alone! I have actually been avoiding heavy weights for a few weeks now due to this. its more of a mental thing now that all of you pointed that out! No more cardio for a while! lol:laugh:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Is there any heavy lifting excersizes that are feasible not having someone spot? I was going with a friend and lifting with her, but our schedules have collided and i'm forced to go alone... advice please! :)

If you plan to lift to failure a spotter is pretty essential, though if you have access to a good squat rack or lifting cage that can serve the exact same purpose. I would just ask the staff where you work out for advice on how to set things up to make sure you are being safe.

Which exercises in particular are worrying you?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS lifted alone. Bench Press is really the only one that could be an issue (never has been for me however). Knowing how to do the "roll of shame" or "tilt of shame" (tilting the barbell to get the weight off) will get you out of trouble.
  • lizc0616
    Options

If you plan to lift to failure a spotter is pretty essential, though if you have access to a good squat rack or lifting cage that can serve the exact same purpose. I would just ask the staff where you work out for advice on how to set things up to make sure you are being safe.

Which exercises in particular are worrying you?
    In my last comment i stated that i had an anxiety about doing it alone for the simple fact that i have not the whole time starting out. You all have made me realize i sound like a complete pansy and i am going to toughen up tonight and lift like a boss! :glasses:
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    THANKS for all of the response! I think my thing was my anxiety of doing it alone just because i have had the support of my friend "spotting" me from day one, and quite honestly she never actually did anything besides stand there and guide me and be support in case i had an accident lol. I do not max out but i do push myself always. I use a squat cage for squats, and bench press i just will have to start at my min weight until i feel safe to do alone! :drinker: I know i can do it, like i said i am so used to her support is scares me to think of doing it alone! I have actually been avoiding heavy weights for a few weeks now due to this. its more of a mental thing now that all of you pointed that out! No more cardio for a while! lol:laugh:

Use your squat cage for your bench, too. Just move the side bars down so they catch the barbell. This way, you can continue to build your bp weight.

If you're squatting alone with a squat cage, you can bench alone with a squat cage. :smile: