Savory Oatmeal

Options
2»

Replies

• chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I never thought to make oatmeal savory. Great recipes ideas!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I'm always s the strange one... I cook with water with minced garlic in.. When done stir in sharp cheddar cheese and a little butter, salt and pepper. Lasts for hours.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    It's funny how oatmeal because associated with sweetness, whether it's those flavor instant packets, or just adding brown sugar.

But really, it's a grain ... no reason for oats to be sweet more than savory any more than there'd be reasoning for rice or corn or flour or even potatoes to be sweet.

It's a neutral base and the flavor profile comes from what you add.

Speaking of making oatmeal awesome, add peanut butter. (actually don't, because it tastes so good you'll become addicted and completely blow your calories :))
  • achantee
    achantee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Loving some of these, great ideas.

My mom used to toss oats into her soups. Along with or in lieu of barley or other grains.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do a tbsp of peanut butter mixed in with 100% cocoa baker's chocolate pieces. Mixed up, SO GOOD. I also make my oats with water.
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Agree there is no reason not to have it savoury if you prefer, after all oatcakes go great with jam or with marmite.

I once added what I thought was a generous sprinkling of cinnamon to my porridge.

Was three spoons into it before I realised I had picked up cayenne pepper by mistake. My mouth was on fire :-(

May have to try marmite though, I love the stuff :-)