1200 calories to low for a woman?

Options
How many calories are woman in their 30's using? I am 5'4 and 226lbs and myfitness suggests 1200 calories daily. I feel like maybe that isn't enough.

Lacey

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I am at maintenance right now, but when I was losing, I'm 5'2, 45 yrs old, I ate between 1700-1900 calories depending on exercise.

For most women 1200 calories is to low.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

ETA: spelling
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Lacy, change your weekly loss goal to 1.5 or 1lb per week if you want more calories. Or you can figure out your TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How many calories are woman in their 30's using? I am 5'4 and 226lbs and myfitness suggests 1200 calories daily. I feel like maybe that isn't enough.

Lacey

MFP gave you goal based upon "I want to lose XX pounds per week." It's not likely 1200 is enough.....older, petite women can fall here......you are in your 30's so I doubt it.

Does your weekly goal fall here?

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Also 1200 is BEFORE exercise. MFP expects you to eat exercise calories back....these are estimates.....on the generous side.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I am at maintenance right now, but when I was losing, I'm 5'2, 45 yrs old, I ate between 1700-1900 calories depending on exercise.

For most women 1200 calories is to low.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

ETA: spelling

^Start with the Sexypants guide linked above. Then read all of the links contained within the guide. They're going to get you pointed in the right direction.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Lacey
    You told MFP you were female, sedentary, and wanted to lose 2lb/week, right? That's generally the way to get its calculator to spit out 1200 calories. If the preceding is really you, and it feels like it's not enough, you can try adjusting to a slower per week rate, as Pirate_chick suggests, or you start logging your exercise - including things like walking to the store, yard work, or house work - and eating back all of those calories.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Yes, I don't know why MFP does that (it seems that if you choose lose 2lbs/week, it does that). I am 5'-2" in my 30's and maintaining on roughly 2200 cals/day (I say roughly because I rarely track calories anymore, but when I do it's right around 2,200).

My suggestion is to do as other posters said and find your TDEE and cut 10% or, if you're just getting started, track your intake for 1-2 weeks and then reduce it by about 10%. If you start as low as 1200, where do you go from there when you've lost weight and need to reduce more to keep losing? Also, you'll probably be really hungry and throw in the towel or binge one day over the weekend and then end up not losing any weight.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's too low. I started on 1200 cals too. I told MFP that I wanted to lose 1.5lbs, which is too much since I have so little to lose.

I personally recommend the TDEE method. I eat the same cals every day regardless of exercise.

Here are some calculators
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

You can choose one and stick with it, or use them all and take the average. I did the latter.
  • jessicacahill4
    Options
    If you are eating the right kinds of food, 1200 should be adequate....if you are eating a lot of carbohydrates (in the form of bread, starches, legumes, fruit, sugar or "low-fat" heavily processed food), then you will feel hungry often as your blood sugar will be all over the place. I am also mid 30's, workout 8-9 times per week (1 day off and 2-3 days of doubles - 1/2 cardio, 1/2 crossfit type training) and my (net) calories are always well under the 1200 mark (after eating back workout calories) on a daily basis and I feel like I am eating all the time! If you are getting 100-120g of natural healthy protein, your blood sugar will stabilize and you wont feel hungry or sluggish and cravings will subside. Water intake is also important!! at least 8-10 8oz. glasses per day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, 44, 178. My goal is 1250 (MFP said 1200 to lose 1.5 lb/week, lightly active, but I changed it because having a 50 calorie cushion made more sense to me). That's fine for the days I don't work out, but I typically eat more because I work out 5-6 days a week and eat back at least some of my exercise calories (MFP overestimates exercise calories for a lot of things, which is why I don't eat back all). My diary is open if you want to see how I eat.

Whether it's enough depends on what you want to do and how you feel. It's been enough for me (even back when I ate closer to it more consistently, because I was working out less), but a lot of people think it's unnecessary or felt bad on it, and it's important to feel good and energetic.

The reason you get 1200 is basically math. MFP calculates your goal based on NO exercise other than daily activity (this is why you are supposed to eat more when you do exercise and it adds in those calories). For a woman in her 30s or older who is not that tall and even in the lower 200s, your BMR (the amount your body naturally burns just from living, even without any movement) plus daily activity, NO other exercise, is generally going to be in the low 2000s, so IF you say you want 2 lbs lost per week, it subtracts 1000 calories from that and you end up at the 1200 minimum.

There are a few things to think about. First, at 226 and in your 30s, my guess is that you wouldn't get the 1200 if you said lightly active (I think I had to be under 200 before I got it with lightly active and I'm older, which means slower metabolism). MFP's explanation of the activity factor leaves a lot to be desired--it focuses just on job, but most people aren't really sedentary as MFP defines it. If you walk around a good bit (such as when commuting to a job or doing errands) or have children you are chasing around or use energy cooking and cleaning and gardening and so on, you should consider changing your level to lightly active. (I figured this out by using a fitbit, which adjusted my calories until I finally decided I should change the activity level--I think there are pedometer apps that do the same thing.) If you choose lightly active you wouldn't also log the activities that make up your daily activity, but only extra exercise. If you keep sedentary, consider logging lots more stuff.

Second, you could pick a lower weight loss per week goal. I liked losing more when I started since it is the time it's easiest to lose and I knew that as I got the weight off I'd be able to be more active, but if you don't feel good that won't work or be sustainable. You might want to try it and see how you feel or, instead, try a lower goal and more calories and just try to up your exercise.

Third, if you do plan to incorporate exercise, just remember to eat at least some of the exercise calories back, which makes a big difference in daily calories.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That IS too low for you..Don't depend entirely on MFP,it can be a bit flawed.Also,you presumably chose 2 lbs a week..

By looking at your stats,I am sure that your BMR is well over 1800.This means that you'll burn 1800 kcals everyday even if you do absolutely NOTHING and lie on bed all day.

I don't know your activity level,but your obviously burn far more calories than BMR level.

Calculate your TDEE for that: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I'd say eat 600-700 kcals below your TDEE level.That'll be around 1500-1600 I'm guessing.
    You'll still lose atleast 6 pounds per month if we believe the calorie deficit theory.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, I don't know why MFP does that (it seems that if you choose lose 2lbs/week, it does that). I am 5'-2" in my 30's and maintaining on roughly 2200 cals/day (I say roughly because I rarely track calories anymore, but when I do it's right around 2,200).

If you maintain on 2,200, that's completely consistent with losing 2 lb/week at 1200, and presumably you exercise (not included in the MFP goal where you eat more when you exercise) and weigh a lot less than the OP.
    My suggestion is to do as other posters said and find your TDEE and cut 10% or, if you're just getting started, track your intake for 1-2 weeks and then reduce it by about 10%.

I think tracking what you've been eating and cutting 500 and also trying to add exercise is a sensible way to start if you can figure it out at all accurately. However, I also think the MFP approach--if understood and followed correctly--works really well.

I think someone needs to understand what cutting 10% off TDEE means vs. the MFP approach, although it's all personal preference (I wouldn't recommend against it if it's what someone wants to do after understanding the differences). Her TDEE is going to be in the low 2000s (let's say 2200, although it depends on activity). If she cuts 10%, that's less than half a pound a week for someone who probably wants to lose more than 75 lb. Also, she's not experienced with logging and probably doesn't really know how much she will be moving, and a cut of 220 can really easily be obliterated with inaccurate logging or less movement than anticipated.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If you sit all day and never move it's not too low. If you walk, clean house, go shopping with friends or any other normal activities it's too low IMHO.
  • LaceyLesina81
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I felt like it was and have been debating increasing my calorie intake to 1500-1700 daily. I am on day 30 and only down 9lbs.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Cut 10% of your TDEE? Seriously? For a woman who's 200+ lbs? Even for someone with a pretty high TDEE, that's well under 1 lb a week. Why recommend to someone starting out that they start off so incredibly slow? Might they not want to see some results more than ~1-1.5 lb/month, given that they have 75+ lbs or so to lose?

You don't have to go crazy, eat 1200 calories while doing an hour of cardio 7 days per week... but a paltry 10% deficit isn't going to get you anywhere with a substantial amount of weight to lose. Surely there's a happy middleground.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    If you are eating the right kinds of food, 1200 should be adequate....if you are eating a lot of carbohydrates (in the form of bread, starches, legumes, fruit, sugar or "low-fat" heavily processed food), then you will feel hungry often as your blood sugar will be all over the place. I am also mid 30's, workout 8-9 times per week (1 day off and 2-3 days of doubles - 1/2 cardio, 1/2 crossfit type training) and my (net) calories are always well under the 1200 mark (after eating back workout calories) on a daily basis and I feel like I am eating all the time! If you are getting 100-120g of natural healthy protein, your blood sugar will stabilize and you wont feel hungry or sluggish and cravings will subside. Water intake is also important!! at least 8-10 8oz. glasses per day.

Ummm....no

1200 is a lowest DEFAULT minimum. A number tailored to ones height, weight, age, gender would be a healthier approach.

Healthy weight loss won't be one size-fits-all. Eating 1200 (net) could be appropriate if you take your BMR into consideration. If your BMR is higher (30's.....likely) then you are losing a fair amount of muscle mass along with fat.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Ummm....no

1200 is a lowest DEFAULT minimum. A number tailored to ones height, weight, age, gender would be a healthier approach.

Healthy weight loss won't be one size-fits-all. Eating 1200 (net) could be appropriate if you take your BMR into consideration. If your BMR is higher (30's.....likely) then you are losing a fair amount of muscle mass along with fat.

I actually agree with the first poster....I lost 40 pounds here two years ago....gained back 20 of it (UGH) so now I am back, and strong. I lost the weight, and then it started to plateau...so I listened to the logic of "eat more to lose" well, that did not work for me. After talking to the doctors and all...turns out, 1200 is a fine goal for me. If, like the first poster said, I am eating the correct foods! (for the most part...we are all human and err from time to time) Empty calories are just that, empty. If you are filling your body with nutrients, 1200 should be sufficient. Now, that is FOR ME. Everyone is different, every body type is different, and everyone's metabolism is different. I can only speak what works for me. I must say, since I have been back on 1200 a day (sometimes a bit more on my big burn days) I have been back to consistently losing. As time goes on, I may have to change it up a bit. But, just as an FYI, my endocrinologist has plans that start out as little as 1000 calories per day...so, obviously, it is different for everyone.

Just my 2 cents, and that is all its worth.

Hugs.:tongue:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I think a great deal of MFP members are eating too few calories. I'm 5'5" 134 lbs and I eat 1710-1810 gross calories per day when averaged over the week. Keep in mind that I have a desk job, I lift 3 days per week, and I do 30 minutes of HIIT or cardio kickboxing twice per week - so I'm no gym bunny and I'm certainly not "naturally thin" - I'm just a normal person. I started at 1500 and have been slowly going up 100 calories/day every 1-3 weeks and I'm still losing. I'm 4 lbs from goal, so I'm trying to find my TDEE, but I'd simply starve on 1200 calories per day. I've done it before and, yeah, I lost weight, but I was miserable and hungry and cranky and eventually gave up and gained everything I lost back. Never again.

Eat!
  • parkscs
    Options
    The main reasons to avoid eating 1200 calories (unless you need to in order to lose weight) is that you may feel hungry and it may feel very restrictive (i.e., it's much harder to make room for a donut on 1200 calories vs. 1600 calories). If you're hungry all the time and struggling to eat your favorite foods (or even hungrier as a result of eating your favorite foods), you may not stick with it for very long. And at the end of the day, weight loss is all about consistency and sticking with it for a lengthy period of time. If your weight loss plan consists of "make yourself miserable for 4 weeks, then give up and revert to your old habits", you're not going to get anywhere. On the other hand, if you can make 1200 work for you, your energy levels are normal, you're happy with the foods you eat, and so on - it will result in faster weight loss than a higher caloric intake. It comes down to finding what works for you in the long run.

As for BMR being higher than 1200 and that somehow relating to muscle loss... what I've found is that many people here don't understand what leads to muscle loss on a caloric deficit. It's commonly suggested that eating under your BMR leads to muscle loss, but such statements are simply not supported by the evidence. With adequate protein and resistance training, the odds are the OP could run a deficit significantly below her BMR and not see any increased loss of muscle mass (note I said "could" - not "should"). There almost certainly is a threshold at which the caloric deficit becomes so great that the body will look to lean mass for energy, but it's definitely not BMR for a 200+ lb woman.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Ummm....no

I actually agree with the first poster....I lost 40 pounds here two years ago....gained back 20 of it (UGH) so now I am back, and strong. I lost the weight, and then it started to plateau...so I listened to the logic of "eat more to lose" well, that did not work for me. After talking to the doctors and all...turns out, 1200 is a fine goal for me. If, like the first poster said, I am eating the correct foods! (for the most part...we are all human and err from time to time) Empty calories are just that, empty. If you are filling your body with nutrients, 1200 should be sufficient. Now, that is FOR ME. Everyone is different, every body type is different, and everyone's metabolism is different. I can only speak what works for me. I must say, since I have been back on 1200 a day (sometimes a bit more on my big burn days) I have been back to consistently losing. As time goes on, I may have to change it up a bit. But, just as an FYI, my endocrinologist has plans that start out as little as 1000 calories per day...so, obviously, it is different for everyone.

Just my 2 cents, and that is all its worth.

Hugs.:tongue:

Well, I'm not a special snowflake.......

Yes - there are 600 calorie diet plans too (Dr prescribed for morbidly obese patients). The fact that those diets exist is not proof that 1200 is appropriate for the original poster....it could be.

My point was 1200 is a default. MPF would assign 1200 calories to a 6'5" woman if her weekly goal was high enough. Learning about BMR and TDEE is information. My recommendation was to get information and not assume 1200 is correct. Nutrients are necessary, but so is adequate fuel. Calories are fuel.....not enough fuel in the tank and your body will use lean muscle mass. Those 1000 calorie diets (under a doctors care) are for very obese patients that are immune to lean muscle loss initially.

Like I said, 1200 could be appropriate. Plenty of petite, elderly women do have low BMRs.
  • parkscs
    Options
    Like I said, 1200 could be appropriate. Plenty of petite, elderly women do have low BMRs.

You keep implying BMR is somehow correlated with the loss of lean body mass, but it's simply not beyond its use in calculating TDEE in order to determine a caloric deficit. There are plenty of reasons why 1200 is inappropriate for the OP; increased loss of muscle mass is almost certainly not one of them with 75+ pounds to lose.