Can anyone over 200lbs run for over 5mins???

Options
Good Morning MFP budduies. This may sound funny but im serious...IS ther anyone out there over 200 lbs that can run for 5 mins. One of my biggest aspirations has been to run. Even when i was an athlete in high school i always seemed to wiggle my way out of the running part of the workout. Today i did sprints 1 min runn 1 min walk and only lasted 10 mins. Runners over 200 lbs can I get some advice on how you built up your endurance to run more than 5 mins? & Do you run on treadmill or flat road??? Thanks...HAave a Fabulous Day

Replies

• BrendaKayS
    Options
    I am way over 200 lbs and I run. It's not graceful though. The treadmill shakes and my big boobs hit me in the face but I keep going :) (it's at the gym). I started just running as long as I could which was like 1 minute - then I'd walk until I could breath again, then run another minute. Now I run about 20 minutes. It took about 6 months to get to this point though. Just my personal experience!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Yeah. Even when I was over 200 pounds, I ran upwards of seven miles a day.
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    Well, I weigh 210 (according to my weigh in yesterday. Go me!), and I don't think I can. I haven't tried it in a few weeks, but last time I did try to run, I didn't make it very far. To be fair, I was running uphill on a gravel road (thought I'd challenge myself), and I think I lasted about 2.5 minutes. I've never really been able to run, I guess I've been overweight my whole life.

I can make it on the elliptical for 20 minutes, though that's not really running. I'm hoping it will build up my stamina though, and maybe one day I'll make it up that hill and further!
  • TTTT
    TTTT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Hazel,
    You certainly can train yourself to run for almost as long as you want. I am well over 200 and just completed my first triathlon. I was not fast but I did not stop even when some of my leaner counterparts had to walk. I was not fast but I finished. I am easily over 230 pounds down from 290. I just started very slow. I had not run my whole life. I started just like you walking, then running for a minute then walking again. It was truly unbelievable to me that in just a few months I could keep running a little longer each time....before I could blink I could run a mile. That was a day of rejoicing for me. A silent prayer went up because I never knew I could even last that long. Now I can easily go 3 miles. Still very slow. I am after all overweight but I get it done. You go Girl. You can do anything you put your heart and mind to. Running is really just mental. You have a strong body. Just challenge yourself to go a little longer each time...run from the house to the first mail box you see then keep adding mailboxes until you get to a mile....You will do it I know you can!!!!
    Blessings,
    Tanya
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I started off on the elliptical and can go for about 5 miles in 33 -35 mins on it now. I ran on the treadmill last night and ran a 10:30 mile, but it kicked my butt. Out on the track, I am dying after the 2nd lap, but I make myself finish the mile. Just pushing yourself and trying to reduce your time by a little bit every week will get you to where you want to be. When I started on the elliptical I ran 1 mile in 15 mins and just told myself that I have to better than time by 30 secs every week. It's been about 6 months of working out to get to where I am now. Persistence pays off and your body will get stronger to allow you to keep going.

Great job getting out there to run and taking on your enemy =). you can totally do this!
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I weigh 213 lbs. and I built my endurance with high cardio workouts. I run about 19 minutes (1.5 miles) with a very short break in between that involves fast walking. Besides the shin splints I get afterwards I am usually good. Just have to keep breathing in an out and telling yourself YOU CAN DO THIS :bigsmile:
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Go online and try couch to 5k . It really helps to build anyones running ability.
  • socko6774
    socko6774 Posts: 200
    Options
    I'm about 210, just got done running a Fit test for my job. 300 meter sprint, followed by a 1.5 mile run, followed by push ups, then sit up. when your job is on the line, you're definitely motivated to keep going. lol. it torture, but when under pressure, you'd be suprised of what your actually capapable of. its alot of mind over matter mentality. when you feel like you cant go any farther, think of something that importatn to you, and push through. sometimes its a real challenge.
  • alucard75
    alucard75 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting at about 241lbs now and I run 10 miles a week, the longest so far being 6 miles. You have to start out slow, train on an ellipitcal machine. Walk at varying paces then step it up to a slow jog. You'll get there. And being a guy I do feel bad about you ladies out there fighting the counter balance of those boobies, if I could help hold them in place I would.....good luck and you can do it:)
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm 211 lbs and I ran 6 minutes covering a mile in the process just the other night.

So yeah, not only is it possible to be over 200 lbs and run for 5 mins, it is also possible to run quickly too!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started running with the Couch to 5K (C25K) program a couple of months back when my weight was at 210 and i ran over 3 miles for the first time this past Monday and i has helped me get down to 197. It is a great program to get a non-runner running.
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ok all you runners out there....

Are any of you Asthmatics? and how do you handle. I know with proper conditioning it can be overcome.. Was just curious what you do?

I am over 200lbs as well, 7lbs away from onederland :) and thinking about running!
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    OMG...thanks sooo much all your responses are great. I dont feel alone anymore. At first i was embarassed to run at the gym b./c i felt like everyone was looking at me when i couldnt make it past a min...then there was the fact that my treadmil sounds like its going to break bc of how heavy I am. I am really going to try to conquer this. I can totally see myself taking a morning run. Ive always wanted to. But I've been scared. I am going to look up Couch to 5k...and also challenge myself to running everyday, regardless of how long I can run. Thank you.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    C25K is amazing! I've lost 38 pounds since starting on it and I am still way over 200 pounds (about 247 right now). When I started I was at 285, so it definitely CAN be done if you really want to do it.

It's not pretty, but I'm running 30 minutes at a time now.
  • llocke5
    Options
    I am over 200 as well and I can not run 5 minutes straight yet, but I will. I have been doing the C25K (Couch to 5K) program and in week 2 am up to alternating running 90 sec and walking 2 min for 20 minutes.

You can go to http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml and get the C25K running program from there. I was never a runner in HS, but have found the program to be pretty effective as it works you into it gradually. Never being a runner before I am finding that I am having to build up my cardio because i tend get out of breath before my body is ready to stop. Good luck to you on your running, you can do it.
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am!!! I started the Couch to 5k program over the summer weighing in at 230.8, sure it was a bit of a struggle at first, but I pushed through it and completed the program. When I finished, I weighed 213.8 :) Here's my inner thoughts about it for anyone who cares to read it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BrunetteWife/view/could-you-graduate-in-9weeks-i-did-33877
  • ashleyinthestars
    ashleyinthestars Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried running a distance in several months (no treadmill or gym membership and I did walking workouts indoors all summer) but in the spring, i was about 30 lbs heavier (260ish) and I started off power walking and found that my body naturally wanted me to pick up the pace to a jog every so often. I eventually started pushing myself to see how far I could go without stopping. I was jogging on both pavement (residential roads) and a non-paved park trail. I'm interested to see how well I could do now with the indoor power walking (which includes jogging in place sometimes) I've done all summer. I know my stamina has increased tremendously. I might check out the C25K myself. You'll get there!! :)
  • Susan57
    Susan57 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i am short and round and could do anything my younger and thinner co-workers could do. i did a stress tess in the hospital,so it is possible. i would caution everyone to watch thier knees,thin or heavy. once they are gone, they are gone.:sad:
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to run for two years albeit not consistently. The longest i've run is two minutes. I even tried the phone app C25K and never got anywhere with it. I guess I should try it again. I hate being a failure at something.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I do, 5 times a week ,just increased my mileage to 4 miles a day. I'm not the prettiest runner or the fastest but I run. I used interval training to build stamina, I used a series of CD's by Sean O'Malley called Cardio Coach, I love them. I did not like couch to 5k but many people have used it to help them you can find it at coolrunnings.com. :love: