Do you have a vegetable garden?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it, i have a pear tree in the yard as well...but the pears never ripen. I think something is wrong with it, but I'm not exactly a horticulturalist...

You may need to plant a second pear tree nearby. Most pears need to cross pollinate.
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes. I love my garden. It is great therapy. I originally planted lettuce and carrots for my 3 rabbits and added to it big time this year. I have cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, strawberries, beans. zucchini, green & red peppers and thai peppers. I also have a huge pumpkin patch. I'm obsessed with pumpkins. I also have 2 lemon trees, flower beds and a nice little rose garden.
  • DotPett
    DotPett Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Love my garden. I am currently harvesting lettuce, but I am growing snap peas, broccoli, brussel sprouts, beets, carrots, parsnips, onions, green beans, cucumbers, zucchini, bell peppers, jalapenos, beefsteak tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and strawberries. Strawberries are getting close to ready.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    My next door neighbor is growing her garden in hollowed out straw bales. She is using a good quality of dirt . Now mind you, you cant grow everything this way but it sure looks intresting. She has tomatos, onions, peppers, cucumbers, herbs.
  • butterrum13
    butterrum13 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    We put one in last weekend for the first time on our own land. We're keeping it small this year as we have 3 kiddos under 5 so we don't want to overcommit and have it get eaten up by weeds!

We've got 4 3x6 plots with green beans, cherry tomatos, cucumbers, broccoli, sweet peppers, and habaneros (for the hubby). We also have existing beds of chives, rhubarb, and asparagus, as well as raspberry bushes and a plum tree. And blackberries and blackcaps that grow along the edge of the woods that are easy pickings for the kids.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    You guys are all so impressive! I doubled the size of my garden from last year to this year and was super proud but my goodness lol. I have tomatoes, cucumbers, brussels sprouts, brocolli, green beans, squash, carrots, and a lettuce varietal.

I only did the tomatoes, cucumbers, and other veggies/herbs last year so we'll see how everything turns out. I'm not too hopeful for the brussels sprouts and brocolli but everything else has a fighting chance i think :)
  • butterrum13
    butterrum13 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I see several people grow mint - can I ask what you all do with it? Mint grows wild here, and mostly I just run it over with the lawnmower, but the kids sometimes will pick some to chew.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it, i have a pear tree in the yard as well...but the pears never ripen. I think something is wrong with it, but I'm not exactly a horticulturalist...

Not knowing the variety of pear, but some pears need to be just left to ripen indoors, maybe for a month or more

Or they could just be cooking or perry pears
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I see several people grow mint - can I ask what you all do with it? Mint grows wild here, and mostly I just run it over with the lawnmower, but the kids sometimes will pick some to chew.

Normal use is bung it in new potatoes, or a make mint sauce to go with lamb

I think you can make mint tea as well, but never tried it

Like most herbs, parsley etc, mainly just used fro flavouring
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I tried veggies last year and failed. I don't think I cared enough about them. This year I decided on an herb garden. It's prettier and I'll use the *kitten* out of herbs. I planted:

lemon grass
    lavender
    chamomile
    chives
    rosemary
    fennel
    thyme
    lemon balm
    parsley
    pineapple sage
    orange mint
    peppermint
    chocolate mint
    spearmint
    dill
    stevia

Most of it (especially the mint) is for tea.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Some awesome gardens here! We're living in a rental for the summer so I've planted tomatoes, spicy & sweet peppers, tomatillos, beans, arugula, mesculun, cilantro, and eggplant in large round containers. Between the soil, saucers for the pots, and starter plants (I prefer to start from seed but got a late start), I've spent well over $300! That's a few trips to the farmers market. But it's the experience and example to my kids that makes it worth it :)
  • pahky
    pahky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a notoriously black thumb but this year I've decided to take the plunge and plant my first garden. It's not much, a small container garden. I'm growing tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, sweet peppers, and zucchini. In addition to that I have mature pear and black walnut trees. I've been working on an apple tree, but it seems my seedlings aren't doing very well.
  • gakette420
    gakette420 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

You can pour boiling water over it to make tea. It is a great eatable garnish for fruit salad or a fruit tray. It can also be put in drinks such as iced tea, lemonade, water or smoothies as a lovely added flavoring.
  • christacb
    christacb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We have a good sized Garden. I grow all of my plants from seeds by starting some of them indoors under a grow light.

This year's garden:
    25 Heirloom tomato plants, each plant is a different variety (I am a tomato lover)
    Okra
    Pole Beans
    Bush Beans
    Basil
    Yellow Squash
    Zucchini
    Spaghetti Squash
    Cucumbers
    Cantaloupes
    Watermelons
    Sunflowers
    Corn
    Sweet Peppers
    Hot Peppers
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always do! Right now I am eating tons of yellow squash and other types of squash. Some tomatoes are getting ripe...the salad greens are beginning to wilt with the heat right now. Cucumbers are planted in stages so that we can have them most of the year. Green beans are doing great! I love having my own garden and even do my own compost. Have fun!
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    We had one a long time ago but not in recent years. I'd like to plant one maybe next year. We had tomatoes, corn, zucchini.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love gardening! This year we have 3 kinds of heirloom tomatoes, 3 squash plants (may thin down to 2, depending on how big they get), 2 kinds of pepper, basil, oregano, and 5 kinds of lettuce. I'm pretty stoked!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I cultivate neighbours with gardens, does that count, mwahahaha! :laugh: Works like a charm, never buy another zucchini or tomato or lettuce during the summer/fall again. Oh yeah, and extra home canned salsa, pickled beets, canned pears, and crabapple jelly made from our crabapple tree (trades).
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Been doing a garden for a few years now. Fun to grow some food in the yard. Its a lot of work time wise but not normally what I would consider a workout.

bd86e9f6-1737-48ad-a52d-f9e118c9bd6d_zps11304a70.jpg

c46325ab-2675-4632-bd5c-fb17b160d029_zps969b221d.jpg
  • Kari_1927
    Kari_1927 Posts: 16
    Options

I kind of wanted to plant mint in my front flower garden, but may not be such a good idea because I guess it really spreads and takes over everything. I wonder if I could put it on our wood line and it would overtake the poison ivy. Maybe I'll just plant some in the front and try to keep it trimmed. We do have a big yard so maybe I can find a place for it to just run free...

Seems like a lot of people have tomatoes... We have SO many cherry tomatoes. I have several in our beds, then a pot with a few. And then I took 4 plants and planted them right next to the house, and two more in the back yard right near the house. But I guess cherry tomatoes are a good thing to have a lot of - the kids love them!

A lot of our stuff is heirloom. All our corn might just go to keeping the seeds. I did some seed potatoes so I think we will have a ton of potatoes. We only have 4 carrots oh well! lol :ohwell:

Again, thanks for all the replies! It's nice to meet all you fellow gardeners