Most Effective Fitness Plan for Abundant Free Time

Options
Hey everyone,

I am looking for some suggestions on what to do fitness wise with all the free time that I have. I run but not a lot lately (recovering from an ankle injury) and attend 2-4 fitness classes weekly like yoga, body pump, Zumba, and Pilates etc. I just signed up for a swimming class too. I want to drop some pounds and I know that is all diet. Any ideas?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Progressive strength training program. Stronglifts 5X5, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Strong Curves is also good for glute/lower body work.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Progressive strength training program. Stronglifts 5X5, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Strong Curves is also good for glute/lower body work.

this.

cardio is nice- but you'll need some real weight training too.

and before you say it: no- body pump isn't weight training.
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    And do what you find fun! If you enjoy it you'll stick with it. Good luck!
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

this.

cardio is nice- but you'll need some real weight training too.

and before you say it: no- body pump isn't weight training.

Yep, listen to those ladies!!

I was doing cardio 6x a week and wasn't losing. Then I did the NROLW and I'm now a recovered cardio addict. Best thing I ever did! Weight training will shape you in a way no cardio can.

If you enjoy cardio keep doing it, I do about 60-120 minutes a week (max!! sometimes I don't do any), but I don't do it to lose weight. And of course you're right to say diet is also very important. Good luck!!
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Lift all the things.

Srsly. If you've not yet tried it, it quickly becomes therapy. I've injured myself and can't deadlift or squat (so I've moved to a purely bodyweight routine because just benching makes me feel like a fool), and it frustrates me greatly. I have, however, discovered that I can flip a tire without hurting my knee. So I flip tires now, too.

Aside from that, maybe try a more combat-oriented martial art? Boxing is fun (and I don't mean the "rah rah, ladies, cardio kickboxing, yay!" stuff either), and a new martial art often comes with cultivating discipline and a whole bunch of new friends. It can also suck up your free time relatively quickly.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Boxing is fun (and I don't mean the "rah rah, ladies, cardio kickboxing, yay!" stuff either)

Hahahaha...

Also agree... I've done Kung Fu for a while and it was amazing. Had to stop 'cause I moved in another city and I didn't want to find a new school... but yes to martial arts!