Metabolism - how EXACTLY does it work?

Options
It's weird. This last month or so, I've slacked off with exercise (mainly due to work) and I have been eating more calories, bigger portions and generally more unhealthier food, but weirdly enough, I only gained 1.5LBS, and I have lost inches, from my chest and waist.

Now, I'm not complaining, but how is that possible?

Up until this last month, I swam at least 5 times a week, I watched my calories, and I rarely ever went over, and I rarely ate all of my exercise calories back, and my weight would remain the same, or fluctuate. BUT, once I slacked off with my swimming and started eating "junk" the inches started to drop off and I only ended up putting 1LBS on.

I assume this has something to do with my metabolism, but I'm not sure? How can I lose inches, by not exercising and eating junk?

It's like I'm some kind of mutant!

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Just to add, I'm back on track now. My work hours have been restored to normal and I can once again go swimming multiple times a week, and eat home made food I prepare myself, so to stop me having to eat out, or eat pre-packaged food. It just seems that when I have a break from the healthy lifestyle, my weight seems to start going down, and I just don't know why or how?!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising your muscles retain water for repair and glycogen storage. This causes them to swell and of course water weighs something so it counts toward your lean mass.

If you stop exercising you will shed that retained water, your weight will drop and you will lose that swell which can result in lost inches around your muscles.

Your metabolism cannot vary that much and the notion that metabolism has a big influence on weight gain or loss is more myth than anything.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Since you asked EXACTLY how metabolism works, I'm no expert, but I bought a great science/medical reference book on Amazon called "Metabolism at a Glance." I think it's intended for medical students, so much of it is over my head. But it does present things in probably the simplest way possible.
  • hellodangergirl
    hellodangergirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I see that you've lost quite a bit of weight (congrats!) and were very active pre-break. Is it possible you were over training? Were you noticing lots of soreness, mood changes, insomnia, etc? If so, giving your body a break allowed you to rest and recover, which could have lead to the results you're seeing.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    510pXpc1XjL._SY300_.jpg

624 pages. Good luck.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I see that you've lost quite a bit of weight (congrats!) and were very active pre-break. Is it possible you were over training? Were you noticing lots of soreness, mood changes, insomnia, etc? If so, giving your body a break allowed you to rest and recover, which could have lead to the results you're seeing.

I was sore sometimes, but usually it was the good kind of sore, you know? The feeling you get when you know you've had a good workout!

@ Mojo - I'll check that out, 624 pages though? I'll need the good luck to get through that!