Son vomits during gym - it's after lunch

Options
Pipsg1rl
Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
How can I help my son with this problem??

I know the school year is almost over but this is not the first time. He has lunch right before gym. I don't want him to NOT eat (which he does sometimes), but I know personally that I don't like to work out directly after eating.

If you have kids you know the rule: If a child vomits (s)he must go home and cannot return until 24hours after the last time of occurrence.

Luckily I have a girlfriend who is a SAHM that can pick him up and take him home. He's 14, but they can't let him take himself home (another frustration).

Are there any tips I can give him to help him "keep his lunch down?"

Replies

• KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Have you tried talking to the guidance counselor to rearrange his schedule so he can have gym before lunch?

The alternative is to pack his own lunch and eat it much earlier or after gym class, but it may not be allowed in other classes?

If it were my child, I would try the schedule change route first.

ETA: I dont have any tips to help keep the food down as I also need a few hours after I eat in order to exercise and not re-taste it again and again. It sounds like your son is going at it fairly hard and I wouldnt want to discourage that.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Eat after gym.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Working out/exercising on a full stomach is a recipe for disaster.
  • heatheremde
    heatheremde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old daughter has the same problem. It has happened 3 or 4 times this school year at recess after lunch when she is running around on a warm day :(
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Have a serious talk with whatever idiot allowed gym class to be scheduled for the period right after lunch- that's just stupid. who does that?
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned- if you know that whats causing him to puke is the fact that he eats right before gym, then the school should be able to accommodate him. Whether that's letting him eat at a different lunch time, eat after gym, etc.

It would probably also help to have a note from a doctor as well.

Good Luck!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    He's 14, in the 8th grade and there are 2 more weeks of school left.

Don't think changing the schedule is possible right now.

They are not allowed to have food or drink (except water) in classes. He does take his lunch often, so it's not always cafeteria food. He actually prefers leftovers or sandwiches to what is served at school.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    have him only eat a snack before and the rest of his lunch after, or talk to the school and switch classes so he can have gym at a different time of day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

They are not allowed to have food or drink (except water) in classes. He does take his lunch often, so it's not always cafeteria food. He actually prefers leftovers or sandwiches to what is served at school.

Then he can eat in the hall on his way to class after gym if it is just a sandwich on gym days
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    Have a serious talk with whatever idiot allowed gym class to be scheduled for the period right after lunch- that's just stupid. who does that?

No joke. Last year he had late lunch at 1pm. He LOVED late lunch.

This year it's early and he isn't always hungry at 11:30.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Hahahaha! Totes this^!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options

Then he can eat in the hall on his way to class after gym if it is just a sandwich on gym days

Haha, I'm going to tell him you said he needs sneaky sandwiches :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Is gym everyday?
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options

Totally this. Hope you can figure something out so he doesn't have to struggle!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Hahahaha! Totes this^!

My kids' high school did it last year. Stupidest change ever, and the gym teachers weren't happy about it, either. My son didn't have a problem, but at least one of the kids in his class did. Even though it's the end of the school year, I would still ask a counselor about letting him eat after gym.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    OP, yeah you're a little late to be asking this. However, we’re talking about two class periods of equal length that consists of an unorganized room (gymnasium/cafeteria) jammed full of kids. Seriously, Is "Lunch Lady Brenda" going to be overwhelmed by slapping one extra slab of mystery meat that hour? Or is Gym Teacher Johnson even going to notice he has 47 kids running around the dodge ball court instead of 46? I say meet with whomever is most appropriate and ask to flip the periods. You’re not asking for the impossible here.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Why cant he just eat a light lunch and then a snack after gym? Not like he cant make up the calories later.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure why this is suddenly a big issue with 2 weeks of school left. Seems it should have been brought up at the beginning of the school year... unless if I'm missing something. Just wait out the next 2 weeks and make sure he has a better schedule next year.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My daughter, in K and first grade, would vomit a lot after eating. Turns out that recess was right after lunch. Lots of running around on a full/swishy stomach wasn't doing her any favors. Also, she was "backed up". I fixed one problem with a nice dose of prunes every day and told her to take it easy on the playground and things improved. It's a horrible feeling, hope things get better ! I feel your pain as a parent !
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My son pukes on the playground sometimes after lunch & the nurse doesn't even send him home. Love her for understanding that pizza + french fries+ chocolate milk + dodgeball in 80 degree weather is a recipe for disaster!

For the last 2 weeks of school, honestly, I would tell your kid to slack off in gym class. He's got 8th-grade-itis by now I'm sure anyway, and its just gym. He is doing more harm by missing the entire next day of school than by not giving it his all on the basketball court. If that's just not his style, try a clif bar and some fruit instead of the sandwich. I have to eat before I work out, and I have no issues with a clif bar and a cup or so of melon or berries. Definitely don't send him food for the afternoon if it is not allowed in school, the last thing you need is for him to get suspended right before graduation!